News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Re: Corinthian Cockpits

Started by Jim_ME, June 14, 2014, 12:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Have started a new thread on this, rather than keep adding to Mike's "greetings" thread...

Here are some photos of that 1978 Bristol Corinthian 19.5 "Series II" (which I did save, after all...since it was the only example I'd ever seen). Looks so much like the Typhoon 18.5. The seats are raised considerably higher than the typical wooden seats, in order to raise the cockpit sole above the waterline for self draining. Like the Ty19, the seats are not especially high above the sole. I believe that the early Alberg 19/Typhoons had a similar traditional wooden slat seat/non self draining/bailing cockpit, and when Cape Dory began production the hull topsides were extended a couple inches to provide enough height to allow the new (self draining) cockpit sole to be above the waterline.

Jim_ME

For comparison, here are photos of the more common [this boat a 1967] Bristol Corinthian 19 cockpit with the wood slat seats and sole. Non self draining/bailing, but some prefer it, since it is lower in the cockpit, keeping the center of gravity of crew lower, and gives that feeling of being closer to the water.

Jim_ME

I like the old-style offset well that preserves the attractive Alberg transom compared to the newer centered outboard well with its big notch in the transom that the outboard can be tipped up into. (On S/VTransomis Notchus Maximus)

On a boat this size, with the old design, you can easily lift a 30-lb 3.5 hp outboard right out of the well and stow it under one of the wooden seats, until you need it.

Looking at the newer boat, I guess when you start using a 6 hp extra-long-shaft motor, it's not so easy to pull it out/put it in and there becomes the need to make compromises...and function can trump traditional form and aesthetics...which wouldn't be so bad for ugly boats, but on an Alberg...?  :'(
("New-and-Improved" Versions 2.0 ain't always so...YMMV)

DarrenC

Ha!

When i saw the title of this thread i immediately pictured Ricardo Montalban and thoyght i was going to see pictures of a cockpit upholstered in "Rich Corinthian Leather..."
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

Jim_ME

Quote from: DarrenC on July 01, 2014, 10:18:37 AM
i immediately pictured Ricardo Montalban and thought i was going to see pictures of a cockpit upholstered in "Rich Corinthian Leather..."
I had very similar thoughts and nearly posted them myself, possibly adding something about his sidekick Tattoo pointing and crying "De plane! De plane!"...and how he would surely have full standing headroom in the Corinthian cuddy cabin...  ;) Ah...the 60s and 70s, when men were men and boats were boats...