News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Insurance

Started by Grime, June 16, 2014, 03:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grime

I'm trying to find a company that doesn't require a survey to get liability insurance.  All I need is to cover the other guy as required by marinas.

Our marina doesn't require insurance but we are trying to go cruising.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Captain Smollett

Who is your auto insurance with?

Ours is with Allstate, and they also covered out boats with no survey and no ridiculous 'use restrictions.'  They were scary cheap, too, compared to "marine insurance" like BOAT US.  I got them on board with a 10 minute phone call to give them HIN's and basic info about the boat (size, make, etc).

If your car insurance company does not do boats, give Allstate a call.  I'm sure others do as well, though.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Grime

Thanks I'll give my auto insurance a call.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Tim

I have used an "umbrella" liability policy that I have at marinas and seems to have satisfied them.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

David- I went to the Progressive agent up by the DQ  on Virginia St. Right by Powers Elec. Got 300,000 liability for 100 year. Took about 30 minutes.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Quote from: Captain Smollett on June 16, 2014, 03:57:42 PM
Who is your auto insurance with?

Ours is with Allstate, and they also covered out boats with no survey and no ridiculous 'use restrictions.'  They were scary cheap, too, compared to "marine insurance" like BOAT US.  I got them on board with a 10 minute phone call to give them HIN's and basic info about the boat (size, make, etc).

If your car insurance company does not do boats, give Allstate a call.  I'm sure others do as well, though.

I USED to have boat liability with Allstate, along with Homeowners, and auto. Then they dropped me with no notice. I accidentally found I had had zero liability for 3 years. Asked why- got told- we don't cover boats that old anymore
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on June 16, 2014, 04:50:53 PM

I USED to have boat liability with Allstate, along with Homeowners, and auto. Then they dropped me with no notice. I accidentally found I had had zero liability for 3 years. Asked why- got told- we don't cover boats that old anymore

Hmmm.  We have liability on the Alberg 30 through them.  Built in '72, though, so "not as old" maybe?

I might have to keep an eye on 'em to make sure they don't pull something like that on us.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Grime

I'll check with Progressive when I come to town Wednesday. Gotta get thing moving if we are to leave at the end of the month. 
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Kettlewell

I've got Progressive, but it's close to $300 per year for $500,000 liability. Includes a little bit of towing insurance, and protection against oil spills, which I think is the most likely problem other than needing to show liability insurance for some marinas/boat yards. I did it all online with Progressive.

Grime

Quote from: Kettlewell on June 18, 2014, 11:20:29 AM
I've got Progressive, but it's close to $300 per year for $500,000 liability. Includes a little bit of towing insurance, and protection against oil spills, which I think is the most likely problem other than needing to show liability insurance for some marinas/boat yards. I did it all online with Progressive.

I stopped by the Progressive agent this morning got the same liability you did. $294.00 was hard to shell out but got her done.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

DarrenC

Every state/province is different, but in general most homeowner policies will extend liability (and sometimes a little physical damage coverage ) to a low hp vessel 26 feet or less. Ask your agent/broker for a copy of your policy wording. I had to actually educate my broker on this when he insisted i needed a marine policy. 
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

CharlieJ

As I said earlier- I HAD that, as a rider on my homeowners, until the company dropped me (without notice) because  "the boat is too old"

Progressive didn't mind the age-Liability mostly insures the person, not the boat anyway.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera