Checking in...havent sailed off the edge of the world

Started by DarrenC, June 30, 2014, 01:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenC

Hey friends,

I know its been a while, so i wanted to check back and say hi to everyone and let you know all is well.

Carita splashed for the season the second week of May and she has commanded all of my free time since. As well as my planned repowering project, newbie stupidity and slipshod winterizing care cost me more valuable in-water time in avoidable repairs than i care to think about. In truth i was at one point so frustrated and deflated that i let her sit alone at her slip for three prime weekends in a row while i seriously considered putting her on the block.

Finally on father's day weekend the admiral gave me the tough kick in the rear i needed, explaining that i was letting small inconveniences cloud my vision of the larger dream and that like any other lady all i needed to do was show Carita some loving attention and she would show her appreciation tenfold. On Sunday i was kicked out the door with instructions i was not to return home until the boat was ready to sail. I pulled into the driveway Tuesday morning with a big smile and a bunch more confidence in my "handy" skills.

We have had her out the last two weekends with no pausing in sight for the rest of this glorious summer and as promised, Carita has returned my affection in spades. Much like the admiral, she is tolerant of my shortcomings, forgiving of my mistakes, and is overall far better than i deserve.

The fantastic news is that after experiencing both her first beam reach and her first night on the hook, the admiral has miraculously had a dramatic perspective shift on shore life and is talking at length about longer live aboard trips - the great loop, the keys and the bahamas in particular.  I can hardly believe it...I'm living like a king!

I look forward to staying in touch and hearing other stories as the season progresses.
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

Jim_ME

Quote from: DarrenC on June 30, 2014, 01:06:27 PM
Hey friends,
...i wanted to check back and say hi to everyone...
Welcome back, Darren, I've been wondering how you were doing.

...the admiral gave me the tough kick in the rear i needed...On Sunday i was kicked out the door with instructions i was not to return home until the boat was ready to sail. I pulled into the driveway Tuesday morning with a big smile and a bunch more confidence in my "handy" skills.
Well said, her...and well done, you! :)

...after experiencing both her first beam reach and her first night on the hook, the admiral has miraculously had a dramatic perspective shift on shore life and is talking at length about longer live aboard trips - the great loop, the keys and the bahamas in particular. 
An ideal development...what I believe that we all hope for in a partner, but are not always so fortunate. 

I look forward to staying in touch and hearing other stories as the season progresses.
And I [we all, no doubt] look forward to the same.

Grog, and Fair winds!