An old girlfriend just called.....

Started by Frank, June 04, 2018, 05:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Currently anchored at Manjack Cay
Nice Christmas dinner with friends here.
Sail back in 20 knots to Green Turtle tomorrow… love furling 😄

Anchored out with a beautiful Morgan 41 last night (early, not out island)

A few rain days so got motivated , fixed a port leak and painted the head floor.

Beautiful sunset in Marsh Harbour a week or so ago
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Home for a quick visit to sort out a health insurance issue.
Manage a friends and family visit before flying back.
Will appreciate the Sandy beaches even more now!

Frank

After a whirlwind trip home, I’m back settled into the simple life aboard.
Was quite calm the other day so perfect for exploring up “mangrove creeks” to turtle watch in clear water. Trip back was into the light wind so motored home. Gotta love sunny, calm days to explore.

Frank

Had an amazing sail from Green Turtle up to Allan’s Pensacola. Was blowing mid to high teens with gusts so tucked a reef in the main and set off on a broad reach. The ole girl was smoking at times! Averaged 5.6 knots for the 24 mile run with many times in high 6s and low 7s. She still brings a smile to my face..
Once here I tucked into the hurricane hole. It was close to low tide so I was thankful for the shallow draft after cranking up the board.
Good friends Steve on Skylark (PSC 27) and John / Lise on Polynya (North sea 27) were already tucked in there awaiting my arrival.
Awesome beach walks yesterday and today with good meals and laughs.
This is what cruising is about!
We all chuckled tonight as we are all on small, older boats. Mine at 38yrs old was the newest.
Fun cruising need not be complicated…

CapnK

Simply lovely. Holy Cow that turtle picture - what great camo they have. :) Nice shot there, Frank!!!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

The NorthSea 27 and Pacific Seacraft 27 I’m cruising with. Both awesome vessels.
Just for you captain…. More turtle pics 😄
Was a calm day, barely a ripple.

Frank

A better picture of the PSC 27
Beautiful little shop!

wolverine

The PC27 (Orion) is my dream boat.  Someday, maybe.
Compac 19/II
Seidelman 295

Frank

Any project while out cruising typically becomes a male bonding event. In the Hurricane hol, were you tie your dinghy to the mangroves to get onto the walking trail is an extremely muddy bottom and hard to tie up. Steve spotted a piece of floating dock about a mile and a quarter up on the ocean side washed up on shore. Yesterdays adventure with to go down and float it then tow it back and tie it. A nice way to spend a couple of hours and the end result was relative luxury for a dinghy dock. Fun times.

Frank

Winds have settled
Nice 14 kn NE tomorrow so 3 of us are sailing north to Allan’s-Pensacola for a couple of days and then I’m carrying on to Double Breasted, then Grand Cay.
Not sure who will tag along for that leg.
Once there, await a NW to sail back.
Hate scheduling… go with the wind.
For those who’ve been to Grand before, the matriarch there… “Rosie” (male) just passed on a few days ago. In many ways, he was Grand Cay.
Should be some really nice sailing.

Frank

Beautiful down wind 5 hr sail to Allan’s-Pensacola.
5 boats now in the hurricane hole, all friends for years.
This is what it’s all about.

Frank

Water under the vanity..
Traced to leaking foot pump
Took out, tightened up but still leaked.
Had a spare so swapped out.
Will take old one home to see if a rebuild kit is available.
As I was doing it I was thinking how nice it is to have a simple boat.
I have a spare galley pump too, spare head parts, LED bulbs etc. even some glass cloth and resin.
It’s so easy and inexpensive on a small boat.
Some have 2 fresh water pumps, electric heads with their pumps, macerator pumps for the tanks, bilge pumps etc..
Ya’d have a small fortune in spares!
Small n simple is inexpensive and stress free

Frank

Nice routine here…
3 mile beach walk at low tide. Never see another sole..
Boat repairs or project on whoever needs it boat. Male social event.
Nap if possible
Get together on ?s boat for sundowners and snacks
Repeat
Last night we met in the Center of the hurricane hole and tied our dingys together and threw out an anchor. It was fun
We all are 65+ and commented on how much we were enjoying our 2nd childhood here.
Also commented on the age of our boats… 2-1978s, 2-1980s and mine being a 1984.  Cute when the newest is 38yrs old. Tells you that it can be done on classic plastic

Frank

You have all heard the definition of cruising. Suffice to say we having a very good time and boat projects become a male bonding event. Beautiful day here, nice ocean walk.

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on February 18, 2023, 07:26:11 AM
Nice routine here…

Seems like a great time, Frank.  :)

Appreciate your post s and photos!

Frank

Headed back to Green Turtle for a couple of social commitments.
Exiting the hurricane hole ya feel like you’re boating down a narrow creek.
Once out, had a nice beam reach and later switched to a beat.
I do enjoy sailing this ole girl. Still brings a smile to my face.

Frank

Commitments behind, sailed up to Manjack yesterday. A friend on a very sweet sailing Tartan 34 caught fresh fish and invited me for an awesome fish stew dinner. Nice evening with good friends, cheap wine and great food!
Awoke at 2:30 for a wizz, beautiful star filled night so I decided to pull anchor and idle out of the anchorage to sail the 22nm back up to Allan’s-Pensacola.
Great beach walks once here and a magical potluck get together for dinner. The host invited a younger to us couple off of a nearby boat. Turns out they have been together since teenagers, have 31 and 32 year old children, are only 52, have just recently retired and sold everything to buy a sailboat! They are both loving it and it was inspiring to be in their company. Just a great evening all around. Awesome to see people making life choices for enjoyment rather than income.
First is sunrise under sail, last is sunset tonight

Frank

When your anchored at a remote island, even bottom cleaning becomes a social event.
It is a crazy world today on countless levels which makes being this detached even sweeter! Truly a sanctuary….

Bob J (ex-misfits)

As always great pictures
Thanks for posting your trip/story Frank.
It brought me joy catching up on your fun this snowy winter morning.  Also gives me hope that maybe this will be the year my boat doesn't get pulled at the end of the "season"
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Frank

It’s easier than you think! I brought this one over two years ago on my cell phone. Life need not be complicated. You would love it!

PS
Currently on a nice broad reach sailing south back towards the green turtle. Life is good!