Reminders
And more…
KISS to extreme
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on February 26, 2023, 12:48:20 PM
KISS to extreme

That's great!
Often, I think of high tech as adding complexity and expensive, but in this instance it's the opposite.
Appreciate you sharing this, Frank, and especially the high rez photo.
Grog!  :)

Frank

Besides “iSailor” for charts (last post)
These are my most used apps

AyeTides…
excellent, any location and scroll ahead to whatever date you want

Windy
Wind and weather for a specific area or scroll out for the big picture

Frank

Just when you think the romance is gone.
I had the pleasure of meeting a couple at a potluck dinner aboard a friends board at a remote anchorage a few days ago. They had within the last year retired, sold their home, purchased an immaculate 50 year old 48 foot ketch, and although never having sailed before and against the advice of others, left from the great lakes and are now in the Bahamas.
At only 51, met young, started young and retired young. They have 2 children at 30, 31. The most beautiful thing is they’re still very much in love. It is so sweet to see them walking hand-in-hand down the street. I love to hear them talk about their adventures to date as their excitement is obvious.
I wish the many safe and wonderful adventures.

Jim_ME

I'm trying to be swept away with thoughts of romance...which I'm sure is wonderful...

But, my initial reaction is... Wow, that's a BIG first sailboat!  :o

wolverine

I was thinking the same thing.  I've met several couples that buy the largest boat they can afford believing it's safer.  After the bottom job most trade down for something more manageable and affordable.
Compac 19/II
Seidelman 295

Frank

It is beautiful and has a ton of wood that’s varnished….
Yep… lotsa work!

Frank

They're off anchor and now in on a dock so I grabbed a photo.
A stunningly beautiful boat!
Yes, lotsa work
For me¦ obviously too much...way too much.
But seriously , who are we to judge?
They love the boat and more importantly are out using it!
Their story warms my heart.
They can anchor that pretty boat near me anytime!

Tim

She's a beaut!  Working on a boat is fun if you are not trying to squeeze it into another life. If it is your home and your life, taking care of something like that is a joy.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

So true Tim.
Even more so when it’s all “new to you” and part of the big adventure!
They slipped dock lines this morning and I watched them sail southbound.
Hope they have a hoot!

Frank

Took a walk to Gilliam Bay beach…
Hadn’t been there is quite a while and Dorian altered things…
Loved the signs along the way to help get ya there..

Frank

A bunch of us piled onto 2 shuckers yesterday for a lunch raft up on the next island.
These motorsailors sure swallow up people!
Fun times

s/v Faith

While it looks like a good time, I may have once been significantly “overserved” aboard the “mother shucker” once….  I am afraid my memory of it is not entirely clear…
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Too funny!
Yes… several years ago there was an evening aboard a mother shucker where shot glasses were none existent 😄
Drinks were made on a “glug glug” sound basis…
Hope all is well in your world Craig!

Frank

Has been a very good winter. Nowhere near as many fronts moving through as normal and the weather has been quite pleasant. I’ve managed several incredible sails that were memorable!
I will turn 66 tomorrow.
Tonight we were talking about ageing and how time passes. I first met Capt K and other original members here back in 2003 or 2004 on the Pearson Ariel site. I had purchased hull #50, a 1960 boat and was modifying it for cruising. After tackling multiple tasks, I launched her and sailed to Bahamas in 2006. 
I was still in my 40s then….
Point being, time passes…
And
It passes quickly!
I moved from a small town to London Ontario back in the mid 70s to find employment. As destiny would have it, I ran into a man that would first employ me, then later become my first business partner and life long mentor.
He and his wife would end up being like parents to me on top of the folks that taught me how to sail! They were in their late 30s then… approaching 90 now!
Still alive and very dear to me…
Tonight several of us talked about the cruisers who are no longer coming back. Some simply swallowed the anchor. Others were forced to stop because of health issues. Several have passed away. It was both a wonderful and poignant conversation as we reflected on those no longer here.
Why am I sharing this?
To those of you who want to head off cruising and haven’t, I say go!
To those who have made excuses why they can’t, I say life is about choices.
There is an extremely young couple here tonight that I met seven years ago and they only work long enough to get funds ahead to leave. No home, no car, just their boat and wanderlust!
The boat I am on as I write this was ordered 38 years ago.
My friend Roger and I sailed it through parts of Florida, across the Gulf Stream, and sailed throughout the Abacos on my iPhone and not even a depth sounder. Seriously!
I guess what I am trying to say is do not make excuses to yourself. If you want to take a winter off to explore the Florida Keys or cross into the Abacos or the Exuma‘s, do it!
In the end the choices you make will dictate your memories!

Tim

Well said Frank, it never gets easier.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

As you know Tim… time goes by way too quickly!
My old mentor and the gentleman who taught me how to sail has a lovely wife. She told me recently that her uncle expressed time going by like the speedometer of a car. When you are 20, time goes by at 20 miles an hour. When you are 40, it goes by at 40 miles an hour. She is now 90 and said “my God time goes by fast!”
The point being as we age we can no longer put things off. It’s far too easy to make excuses or to spend money on other things.
Anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

“ happy are they that dream dreams, and are willing to make conscious choices to achieve them “

Frank

Always a sad day….
Has been a very good winter so no complaints.
Would stay longer but too many boat projects back home.
Getting the bottom power washed so dropped the board down.
Hopefully make it back next year.

Tim

Frank are you sure about this, have you been paying any attention to the weather up here. You are making a BIG mistake  :D

W.A. Ward

Frank

I hear ya…
I’d stay longer if I could…
Had some truly enjoyable sails this year!
My Compac 27 was a great cruiser but sailed like a station wagon.
This boat is more like a sports car…
Hopefully get some boating in with the trailer sailors at home this summer and back to the PNW in fall.
Hope you’re getting out a bit.
Have fun