An old girlfriend just called.....

Started by Frank, June 04, 2018, 05:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Spent a few days visiting friends on Manjack. Nice to walk the beach’s as there’s rarely anyone on them.
Sailed down to the other end with plans to anchor and snorkel the old sunken barge. The wind came up and a quick look at the tide showed we could sneak in up the back “creek”.  Only sub 3ft boats can go in there..
We were no sooner anchored and a front with driving rain blew through. Hardly a wave nestled in there.
Came out the next day and snorkelled the barge. Always an assortment of fish to see.
Back at Green turtle now. Bev flys out tomorrow, Deja Vu gets hauled Monday.
It’s been 5 months aboard.
My cabin back home is calling…

A look at the water under the boat in the bottom picture shows how shallow it is.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

wolverine

5 months?  You're a lucky guy.  I was out 7 weeks once and the wife said never again.
Compac 19/II
Seidelman 295

Frank

Yep…I was waiting at the border when it opened November 8th to haul Deja Vu to Florida. 9 days later, November 17th she was rigged and launched at Manatee Pocket, Stuart Florida. She crossed to Bahamas a few days later.
Monday is April 16th, a day short of 5 months.
Surprisingly, the fresh water antifouling I used held up pretty well until a few weeks ago.

Frank

Another season comes to an end.
Hauled out yesterday.
Cleaning and all canvas off today.
Will strip the outside down for hurricanes…
Gotta love shallow draft. Waxing is easy :)

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on April 12, 2022, 10:59:18 AM
Another season comes to an end.

Congrats on such a good winter. Have very much enjoyed your posts and photos through the winter here. Grog to ya!  :)

So you'll be driving back up quite a bit lighter than the trip down?

Frank

Yep… a lot lighter but still hauling the trailer home.
Will try to enjoy the drive..
Look forward to cabin life again.

Frank

Sure looks bare stripped down.
Even the panel came off today.
Less up the better if a hurricane blows through..

Tim

Well done sir, always enjoy your adventures. Another grog!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Was gonna ask abooot the canvas and such... :)

Lemme know if you need a stopover rest spot on the drive N, I still have spare berths. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Thanks Kurt, but didn’t go off the shortest path home as I was hauling back that trailer c/w with the cradle on it. About 12-13mpg at these prices 😳

It was quite the adventure getting home!

The trip back from Marsh Harbour to Indiantown was brutal. At 65 with arthritis, cold nights on 2 chairs pulled together are painful. It was a sh#t show!

Then, once underway I encountered the driving rain and wind of a a week ago.

All that said, home, happy to be here, fire on, birds at the feeder and life’s good.

They say what doesn’t kill ya makes ya stronger…
Tell my knees and hips that…

Below is an email I’d send to Caroline (and Brian) my friends that drove me to Marsh harbour airport.

“ Hi Caroline.
It’s been an adventure.
After you and Brian got me to the airport, I boarded the plane 45 minutes late. Once on and settled the pilot announced we had to go back to the airport as a fuel light was on. I had booked a lady from Indiantown to come to West Palm Beach and pick me up and take me to my truck in storage there. As I had no idea how long we would be, I texted her to return to Indiantown. They flew a mechanic up from Nassau. Three+ hours later we were underway. I texted the lady to return to get me. Made it to West Palm and while in line to clear customs, the power went out. Seriously? When the generators kicked in their computers would not boot up. After about another hour they simply wrote down our names. The poor lady that I had hired to pick me up had now been waiting for hours. I had emailed Indiantown Marina three times last week to leave my vehicle keys aside. When I finally got there late, the office was closed and no keys. I slept on two chairs put together in the lunchroom. Cool, no blanket or pillow and folks walking by late at night. I finally managed to get a hold of the office staff and she came down. On arrival, she told me she didn’t get the emails (bs), then that I didn’t give her the key(more bs) I reminded her that I did in fact give it to her personally. She had no idea where it was so I asked to look in their key storage. Found one that looked like it may be it. It worked! By this time it was noon Sunday. I had originally hoped to get 3-4 hours driving in Saturday after landing before all this began. Oh well. It’s been memorable. ”

wolverine

Wow Frank, what an adventure.  Sounds like it didn't end when you covered your boat.   
Compac 19/II
Seidelman 295

Frank

All is well that ends well…
Home, birds at the feeder, wood stove on… all good 🤣

CapnK

^^^...and what a great new Profile picture!!!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Frank

w00dy

Sitting at the 49th Parallel cafe in Ladysmith today, reading about your latest Bahamas season. Thanks for sharing and helping us all keep the dream alive.

Frank

Thanks
Where is Ladysmith?
I’ve sailed into ladysmith on Vancouver Island but doubt its the same.

Tim

Frank, I know you are  better geographer than that, I am pretty sure the 49th parallel goes right through Ladysmith BC
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

My bad 🤣
I for some reason thought Woody was east coast..
You’re right

w00dy

I've been living in Sequim, WA for about a year now. Last month I went to look at a boat for sale in Ladysmith harbor. Just a short trip, took the ferry from Pt. Angeles then a series of local commuter buses up. Unfortunately, due to some difficulties with the public transit system I ended up having to hitchhike most of the way each direction, which I hadn't done in a long time, but I was picked up by some very nice people and had good conversations with. I didn't end up buying the boat (that's a whole story) but it was a fun (short) trip.

Here's a link to photos I took of the boat, very unique!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/behRmUjWzvrnDZe86

My girlfriend and I would love to head back up there when we get the chance, but this is a busy season of work for us so we're stuck down in the states, for now. We did end up buying another new boat, which I will make a separate post on.