LED NAV and Anchor lights, Bebi and others discussion....

Started by s/v Faith, December 19, 2005, 10:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

I don't believe any of the replacement bulbs are currently USCG approved.  As far as I know, the only LED navigation light fixtures that are USCG approved are dedicated LED-only designed fixtures, like the OGM or the LopoLights. The Doctor LED lights only say that the anchor light is USCG approved, from what I saw on the website.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Cmdr Pete

There is some mention of the bulbs meeting CG requirements here

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.htm?fno=400&cart=327289770059876&group=851

Colored LED bulbs satisfy all brightness, distance (2 nm), and arc requirements set forth by the US Coast Guard for vessels less than 50m (65 ft.) in length

White LED bulbs satisfy all brightness, distance (2 nm), and arc requirements set forth by the US Coast Guard for vessels less than 12m (39 ft.) in length and may be used in stern and anchor lights on vessels less than 50m in length
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Godot

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 27, 2007, 04:33:44 PM
I don't believe any of the replacement bulbs are currently USCG approved.  As far as I know, the only LED navigation light fixtures that are USCG approved are dedicated LED-only designed fixtures, like the OGM or the LopoLights. The Doctor LED lights only say that the anchor light is USCG approved, from what I saw on the website.

From what I gather from reading all those links in this thread, the USCG just doesn't approve bulbs.  They only approve entire assemblies.

Of course, the way I understand things, USCG approval is NOT a requirement.  Meeting the visibility standards is.  I think USCG approval just means that they agree that a specific light complies with the rules.  Of course, I'm told that this could still become an issue in a court of law if you are ever asked to PROVE that your nav lights meet standards.  I personally wouldn't stress about it; but I'm generally a  pretty laid back kinda guy.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

barnaclephill

The Bebi light made in Fiji states/guarantees a range of visibility of only one mile as a minimum.
The one I have is the ones made from LEDshoponline.com as linked a few posts above this one. It's a bit hard to row far away to determine it's range, but from radio conversations at night it appears to have a range of about 5 miles when 8 metres above the water - all that for 3 watts! I'm very happy with it.

Ged

http://www.sealite.com.au/products/product.php?prod_code=SL15

I use an LED anchor light from Sealite. I notice though that they are no longer advertising them as "anchor lights". Perhaps because they were at the time not technically approved re CG requirements etc. Silly really, because the product is easily superior to most old technology lights I've seen.  Anyway, I have used one for the past 3 years and it is outstanding & very bright. Easily seen several nautical miles away. Worth a look. Best, Ged 

rtbates

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 27, 2007, 04:33:44 PM

I have their red/green replacement bulbs in my Aquasignal 25 housing and they are very noticeably more visible than what I took out. I no longer have to go forward to see if my lights are on! I can tell by the red/green sheen on the bow wave!!
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Joe Pyrat

I met a guy who uses an anchor light from Bedi Electronics that is made up of multiple LEDs and puts out more light than any other anchor light I've seen, substantially more.  It is inexpensive, $32.50 and well made.  They call it the Owl.  Here's the link.

http://www.bebi-electronics.com/

The company is located in Fiji and my friend says they are easy to deal with.  Shipping, is a flat rate $6.50 unless you are in a rush and want to pay for the faster shipping.

They have a number of other interesting products, and there is a how to on their website showing how to replace the anchor light in a masthead tricolor which is fairly interesting.  I'm going to order one of these next week and use it as a second anchor light or a cockpit light.

Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

s/v Faith

Joe,

I went ahead and split your post off of the solar thread and merged it here. 

The Bebi electronics products are fantastaic!  I use my 'Owl' and I LOVE it.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

We ordered from them last week. Should be getting ours pretty soon. Laura ordered it, but we didn't get the Owl- She ordered one that had a cig lighter plug attached. Pretty much same deal. It's the Owl with a 5 meter cord already attached it seems.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Quote from: barnaclephill on March 08, 2007, 07:08:22 AM
The Bebi light made in Fiji states/guarantees a range of visibility of only one mile as a minimum.

Actually, Bebi states two miles, meeting COLREGS.

Our Lulu Kaukaua  came yesterday..

The Lulu Kaukaua is the Owl light, with the 5 meter cord and lighter plug already attached. $47 even including shipping from Fiji.

Laura took it to the marina this evening and compared it to a Davis. She says the Davis may as well have not been lit in comparison, the Lulu Kaukaua  is that bright. And .09 amps draw

I think our kerosene anchor light is history.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Just FYI-

DR. LED now makes USCG certified LED replacement bulbs for the AquaSignal Series 25 and 40 navigation lights.  This makes the Aquasignal 25 series one of the least expensive ways to get into LED navigation lights that are USCG certified.  While certification isn't REQUIRED, it is a good idea to have USCG Certified light fixture/bulb setups, since if you are involved in a collision and the lights on your boat aren't certified, you can be found liable for not having USCG compliant lighting.  :) Yes, there have been court cases that have hinged on this point... and a lot of money has been made/lost on it as well.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Joe Pyrat

Charlie, my friend with the Owl came by when I was in Beaufort, NC and we were talking about it, but I couldn't see his boat because of the big cat stinkpot next to me, so I had to walk to the end of the dock.  It was like the sun coming out compared to the other anchor lights in the harbor.  That was when I decided I had to  have one.  Once I get it I'll try and get a picture comparing the brightness to my masthead anchor light.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Marc

Just a question about wether or not the LED version of nav. lights are legal etc. I'm getting ready to buy these for my boat but wanting to know if the LEDS would just be a waste of money.  I really like their low power consumption.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

skylark

I would choose leds for running, steaming and especially anchor lights. 

If you can only afford one, choose anchor lights because they will be on the longest.

What kind are you looking at?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Tim

Marc, In an effort to fend off rehashing of opinions and observations about LED Nav. lights I am providing links to recent past discussions.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2117.0

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=524.0
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Marc

I'm looking to rplace my stern light, anchor light , steaming light and bow3 lights red and green, I feel the power that I save may run the charger for a torqueedo motor. (just a thought), I'm also planning on an inverter large enough to power a small micro wave.  I'm an electrician, but DC really throws me off, but I'll be able to catch on real quick.  I'm also planning on 2 12V DC batteries wired in parallel so that I have a whole of 12V power.  Maybe an 88 watt solar panel would be sufficient though have yet to do the calculations on that yet.  You guys are the greatest group of people that I have yet to meet I hope we can someday.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

AdriftAtSea

LED nav lights are great.  One of the least expensive way to get LED lighting that is USCG certified on boats the size of most here is to install AquaSignal Series 25 nav lights and then get the Dr. LED replacement LED bulbs for it.  A couple of dabs of dielectric grease, and you're good to go.  Keep the bulbs that came with the fixtures as backups. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CapnK

My Xmas-gift Owl light (Thanks, Ma!) came in last week. (Along with some cool Fijiian stamps, a postcard, and wrapped in the Fiji Times newspaper. ;D )

For the past 5 days I have been using it as an internal cabin light (sorry, Michael! ;) ). It lights up the whole boat - I can even read in the pilot berth, which puts the book about 5 1/2 feet from the 2 LED's which shine in that general direction.

For an idea of just how bright they are, to the naked eye the Owl LED's are just as bright as the compact fluorescent bulb I normally use. While it doesn't throw out as much light overall as the CF bulb, it has only 1/8th to 1/10th the light-producing surface area as the CF, I estimate.

I also noted on the Bebi electronics website that they quote the actual USCG regs regarding nav lights: Bebi website (link).

The more I research it, the more I become convinced that the whole "but LED's aren't Certified lights..." argument has no real substantive basis whatsoever in any actual case law, and has just somehow become an internet meme of sorts in the online boating community.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on February 03, 2009, 06:43:14 PM

the whole "but LED's aren't Certified lights..." argument has no real substantive basis whatsoever in any actual case law, and has just somehow become an internet meme of sorts in the online boating community.

(bold emphasis added)

Kurt,

While I agree with your statement completely, I wanted to mention that a couple of months ago, someone on SOME site (TSBB perhaps...Norm Blackwatch I'm thinking) posted a reference to an actual case that went against the anchored boat because the anchor light in use was not "certified."

Now I'll add the caveat that I did not personally read the case history referenced, so I don't know what happened, what was decided or why.  This does open the discussion, however, regarding the idea that it may not matter so much in the real world of lawyers, juries and judges what the USCG does or does not certify (**).

I offer this for discussion purposes only (perhaps in another thread); I'll continue to use my Dietz oil lamp as an anchor light or any other light I choose to use that is visible the proscribed distance.  I refuse to let my life be run by lawyers or anybody else who thinks "right" is determined in a courtroom.

(**) I've been in court enough to have witnessed many times the WORD "certification" used without any meaning.  The word itself is a meme of sorts.  But that does not stop it from carrying a LOT of weight for those upon which the meme has stuck.

{hijack off}
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain