News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Border ideas?

Started by Frank, August 30, 2021, 11:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I’m hoping to trailer my 24ft boat south to Florida around the end of September-mid October.
Canada has opened the border to double vaccinated USA folks August 9th, but the USA border closure was extended again until September 21.
It may very well get extended yet again come the 21st...
Here’s the dilemma...
As-is... I can fly to Florida, but not cross in a vehicle. (Seriously)
I spoke with a customs officer and was told if the border remains closed, my boat (on its own trailer) can cross the border IF ... if it is being hauled by a commercial carrier...
So
If things open on Sept 21 (yep, I’m double vaccinated) I’ll haul Déjà Vu down myself...
If not...
Anyone know any “registered-commercial” small truck guys that would hook on my trailer and haul the rig for me?
Would be from Ogdensburg NY S
Frustrating...
Sure hope to get the boat to Indiantown, step the mast, provision and head over to the Abacos!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

Once over the border, can you then unhook the boat from the carrier and finish the trip towing it yourself? Or is it that you would have to fly down and have the boat towed all the way...?

Seems it wouldn't be too hard to find someone to help you with just the crossing part for a modest fee, if the first option is indeed a possibility.

Maybe try Uship? I had a motorcycle delivered from Philly to here for just a few hundred dollars, much cheaper than it would have been for me to go get it myself.

https://www.uship.com/
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

My understanding is that as-is... I can only fly in and a commercial carrier must haul the boat..
So, I assume my truck can’t cross the border...
Strange times.....
Hopefully it opens Sept 21 and I can drive myself.
Sure miss the Abacos and the great folks there.

I will check out your link....thanks!
May indeed need to find alternatives

Tim

You need to find someone who wants to get to the Abacos that is willing to drive your vehicle and boat from Canada for the trip over. If I was on the east coast  I would be tempted. Perhaps you can find someone a little (a lot) younger and female.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Quote from: Tim on September 01, 2021, 11:32:24 PM
You need to find someone who wants to get to the Abacos that is willing to drive your vehicle and boat from Canada for the trip over. If I was on the east coast  I would be tempted. Perhaps you can find someone a little (a lot) younger and female.

Dear Sir -
I find your ideas to be insightful and stimulating, and would like to get on your mailing list... ;D

I can see Frank's ad on Craigslist:

Wanted:
Experienced, financially secure Canadian sailor seeks youthful, small-framed gender-binary female to transport boat from NY to FL. Truck and trailer provided.
Payment in full can be made upon delivery, or in-trade - i.e. spending winter aboard boat in the Bahamas with owner, all expenses paid.
Promiscuity not required, but much appreciated.
Must have American CDL.

;D ;D ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Norman

Both the driver and vehicle must be commercial to take the boat across the line.

Frank could find a company with a trailer long enough to hold both his tow vehicle and the boat trailer to take them to a northern city in the US, then drive on down to Florida.

A 5th wheel car hauler that holds 2 cars could do that.  Your tow vehicle would be at the top, and the boat on its trailer, at the bottom, minimizing the maximum height.

Strap the boat to the trailer very tight for that arrangement.  May be best done with a friend supervising the loading in Canada, and Frank in the US to be present at the unloading.  Better than if it is unloaded, the hauler leaves, and Frank finds the problems after the hauler is back in Canada.

Another option, Frank, get your CDL, put a magnetic sign on your truck, upgrade the tags, and haul away!

Frank

I can see Frank's ad on Craigslist:

Wanted:
Experienced, financially secure Canadian sailor seeks youthful, small-framed gender-binary female to transport boat from NY to FL. Truck and trailer provided.
Payment in full can be made upon delivery, or in-trade - i.e. spending winter aboard boat in the Bahamas with owner, all expenses paid.
Promiscuity not required, but much appreciated.
Must have American CDL.

;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Too funny!!
Can I copy n paste that ad? 😳😂😂😂
Nah... don’t think Bev would approve
Thanks for the creativity though! 👍👍

Frank

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas...
I’ve  faxed a note to customs and border security with various scenarios..
Much will depend on what happens Sept 21st..
You may well open...
I just want ducks in order for whatever happens..
Thanks again