News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Be nice to teak...

Started by CapnK, September 21, 2022, 06:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

A previous owner used Lemon Pledge, and the result makes the interior like a dark cave (see area encircled in red). I'm bringing back the blonde...

Today, while doing so, I had a philipsocketal thought/realization, as regards wood finishing/reworking:

"Sandpaper is much cheaper than Time, and while you can always get more of the former, you can never get more of the latter."

Sanding disk consumption went up accordingly. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

BTW, the finish product I am using is called "Teak Guard". It floated up to my dock one day, after a storm the night before. Yes, literally. :) I'm a fan of spar urethane usually, but I tried it out and am pretty "Wow'ed" by it.
Water based, goes on easy and thin, in the pics is 2 coats, you can put multiples on in a day (30 minute dry time), and it develops a nice gloss around coat 6 or so.
It's made by All Guard Products, out of Hamilton, Ohio, USA. Kinda pricey (sells @ around $50US), but this half gallon, based on what I've seen so far, is going to be enough for *years*. There is a smaller, $20 size as well.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Quote from: CapnK on September 21, 2022, 06:31:58 PM
A previous owner used Lemon Pledge, and the result makes the interior like a dark cave (see area encircled in red). I'm bringing back the blonde...

Today, while doing so, I had a philipsocketal thought/realization, as regards wood finishing/reworking:

"Sandpaper is much cheaper than Time, and while you can always get more of the former, you can never get more of the latter."

Sanding disk consumption went up accordingly. ;D

Well done!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward