News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

"enough"

Started by Frank, May 07, 2013, 11:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I'm sure that this may have been covered in part elsewhere here, but I think a thread dedicated to "Enough" may be worthwhile.
A few random thoughts...

* In a book I read, one of the authors used a word "Lagome" as an example to live by. The word translated to "enough".. "just right". He used a meal as an example. Some times there is far too much on the plate or you take 2nds at a buffet. You feel over stuffed and lazy after. Other times you wished for "just a bit more" and were still hungry. Then there are the meals that are perfect....you are full, but can still move with ease afterwards and feel satisfied!  He was making the point of how we should live our lives like that..."Lagome"...just enough....

* Another story that has stuck with me is an author that had surprising sales of a book he wrote and the bit of noderiety that comes with it. He was invited to a party put on by a major developer that had multiple business interests and holding. When arriving, the place was packed and he was asked if he would like to be introduced to the developer. He said "no thanks". He was questioned as to why he would not want to meet a man that had "this" and "this" and "this" and "that". He stated..."yes, but I have something he will never have....'enough' "

* enough will mean different things to each of us. Hoping we all find "just enough"  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

I read somewhere that "Satisfaction is wanting what you already have."
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

SalientAngle

when reading, I couldn't help but get an ear worm of this madison avenue message....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-tcRiBNj4

sigh...

rorik

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 46

When the Tao is present in the universe,
The horses haul manure.
When the Tao is absent from the universe,
War horses are bred outside the city.

There is no greater sin than desire,
No greater curse than discontent,
No greater misfortune than wanting something for oneself.
Therefore he who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

skylark

But ... I WANT LESS!
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Frank

Tao Te Ching ..."he who knows he has enough is rich"

I agree with the wanting less ...downsizing and purging "stuff"...very "freeing" feeling.

CharlieJ

Quote from: Frank on May 07, 2013, 09:13:39 PM

I agree with the wanting less ...downsizing and purging "stuff"...very "freeing" feeling.

Working on it. Working hard

But the durned stuff BREEDS out there :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 07, 2013, 11:56:49 AM
I read somewhere that "Satisfaction is wanting what you already have."

Yea, sounds like a signature line....  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

lrak

I saw a news article today. It instantly made me think of this thread I read many years ago. Joined just to share -

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/former-mlb-utility-man-john-jaso-retired-to-sail-the-world

or

https://archive.is/mEXk5

Second paragraph :

QuoteDisillusioned by the rampant consumerism and excess he was surrounded by in MLB, Jason retired with $17 million in career earnings, a fraction of what today’s players make, though more than enough to fund a carefree lifestyle spent largely on the open sea. “I want my life to be simple, and it doesn’t get simpler than being on a sailboat,” Jason told David Gardner of the New York Times. “You treat the boat right, and she treats you right. That’s all there is to it.”

Last paragraph :

QuoteFor all his accomplishments on the diamond, baseball is only a small part of Jaso’s identity, finding his most fulfillment and happiness as a world traveler, experiencing the majestic beauty of true freedom, a priceless gift that extends far beyond the reaches of accumulated wealth and material belongings.

Auspicious

Similar to the autopilot kicking out and the boat rounding up, on the topic of "Enough"

There are never enough deviled eggs.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.