News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fallen legends

Started by Frank, August 30, 2023, 09:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Larry Pardey in my mind was legendary. He was certainly a minimalist, extremely accomplished sailor and expert boat builder. What ever he did, he did to his best ability. I had a lengthy chat with him at a show years ago and he was incredibly humble and understated. Just “another sailor”…
Lynn just shared this picture of him with his god child from Tonga. He was failing with Parkinson’s induced dementia that eventually took his life.
Just thought I’d share…
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Jim_ME

Thank you Frank for posting the photo.

They both look happy and contented. You are a lucky sailor to have met and chatted with him in person.

I have several of their books.

Godot

I've met the Pardey's several times. I'm feeling old as so many folks I looked up to "growing up" through my teens, into my thirties are now disappearing into history. I'm only a few years from retirement, now. But my 20s seem like yesterday. It seems like just a bit ago I joined this forum. I can't believe how long I've been away. Time just passes so quickly and it's hard to comprehend the end is closer than the beginning.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

s/v necessity

"This"  - in every freaking way....  I'm feeling everything you've said.  (Apparently it's not a dress rehearsal.)

Frank

Well written Adam
So very true....

Kettlewell

I used to work a lot of boat shows all over the country and therefore crossed paths with Lin and Larry many times. We always had a good chat and I own all their books, I think, some autographed! One evening after the Annapolis show I was with some friends at Davis' Pub, which is always hopping during the show. There was quite a line and I noticed Lin and Larry waiting in line outside. So of course I asked the waitress if they could join our table and we had a great dinner together.

Frank

I'm sure that was a very interesting meal!

CapnK

Quote from: Kettlewell on November 26, 2023, 10:20:15 AM<snip>....I noticed Lin and Larry waiting in line outside. So of course I asked the waitress if they could join our table and we had a great dinner together.

Awesome.

Have a Grog for that! :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)