Fall 2024…. Plans? Southbound? Projects?

Started by Frank, September 08, 2024, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

The leaves are changing up here at home.
What's everyone doing?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Anyone headed to the Keys? Bahamas?
Around 15yrs ago there were 4 of us from the site over there..

CapnK

Cabin trunk coring. The way the Ariel/Triton/A-30's were constructed, there is coring in the horizontal surfaces of the deck - but none in the verticals. If it had a perfect  fit, the inner liner would double the thickness of the verts, BUT... it is far, far from a perfect fit. In fact, this one was only really adhered in a few small spots. So for strength you just have 2x skins, maybe 1/8" or 3/16" in thickness. Quite flimsy, really, you can flex it easily by hand.
So I'm putting in 1/2" Divinycel as a core, and that will get a layer of 17 ox double bias biaxial for the inner skin.
I really want to put Wiley ports in the big openings to finish, but if I do that I will definitely need to make some exterior mounted panels for offshore. Maybe only do 1 per side.
If I go with the Wiley ports, planning to have a grid made for each, to be mounted integral to the trunk in the openings as part of the structure. 3/8" stainless bar, 2 verts and one horizontal. They'll both provide structure and prevent ingress if I am asleep or away from the boat.

Planning to get her to traveling this winter. Keys maybe, in January or thereabouts? And.. Jester Newport 2026...?

Also, non-sailboat related, made some stern sponsons (pic was in-progress) for "MmmHmm", my little watertaxi/runabout mini micro maxi skiff. They take away some squat at rest, and help her get on plane and run better. Gave her a paint job, too. :) She runs in the low 20's with that 9.9 Yamaha. Great economical fun for me and the Crewdog!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Keep us posted Capt
And more pictures !