News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The Tao of Fiberglass Repair

Started by Seadogg, June 29, 2006, 09:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

I think the falling in the pool saved you an awful lot of itching...made more work for the pool filters though.  :D  Looking good so far.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Seadogg

Got home from work and removed the VizQueen (plastic sheeting).
The repair looks pretty good.

Next, I'm going to wash off the wax and then sand down some rough spots and prep it for fairing.

After I get the fairing on and it begins to set, I'm going to coat it with some fresh un-mixed epoxy, let 'er cure, and apply the paint.

More pics to come!
S/V  First Step

Destination?? Sailing IS the destination!!

Seadogg

As promised, I'm posted some pics of the end of this great struggle!

First, I faired and sanded and faired and sanded and faired and sanded

Until I got the shape just about right.

Then, I painted about four coats of Interlux, letting it cure about 16 hours between coats.

And she was finished!!!!

Here, the infamous Nick Vader plots another fiendish plan to rule the waters!!!!

We just took the boat out to our local pond for the leak test.  I am pleased to announce that all went well, there were no leaks, and the patch appears strong and secure. it's not the most beautiful looking, but, considering the location, I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Many, many, many thanks to all of you for all of your help, guidance, and insights!

Fair winds,

Nick
S/V  First Step

Captain Smollett

Nice work!  I'm overdue for some bottom paint...care to come on down and knock that out for me?   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

What, no photo of you in a Tyvek Bunny Suit??  Looks pretty good... what's next?
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Seadogg

my wife and i have both taken the week off.
Got a couple of projects to do around the house.  Other than that, we're keeping our eye on the weather forecast to do a a little Great Lakes sailing.

I'm planning on doing the three other (and more visible) thru-hulls a little later this season; I want the boat available for sailing!

Fair winds,

Nick
S/V  First Step

Grime

I am looking a a 1979 Catalina 22 to buy as my first boat. While looking her over I saw a crack on the deck like it had taken a hard bump on the dock. It is about 4 inches long.

Now I don't know anything about fiberglass an was wondering if I should forget this one and keep looking?

I've got the love just not the funds to go out and buy one that is in excellent shape.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.
David

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Captain Smollett

Just about anything on a fiberglass boat can be repaired.

But it may take some real work depending on exactly where it is.  Perhaps you could post some pics of the crack and let some of the glassy minded (*) dudes here check it out to be more specific?

(*) No, that does not only refer to Kurt after he and Frank get together.   ;D :P ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Grime

Thanks for the reply. Sorry no picture at this time. I'll have to wait till Sunday to go back over to take some. In the mean time if I can find a picture of the forward deck of a Catalina I could mark the spot where the crack is and this might help.

Take care
David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Lost Lake

I have some cracks in my gel coat that most people tell me are normal for an older boat, stress here and there, and time takes it's toll.

For instance in the cockpit, at the end of the seating area where it meets the companionway, there is a web of radiating cracks at the corner. Very small, but is there any way to fix them easily? Do I even need to fret about them or is this just par for the course?

I don't want to paint the boat.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Lost Lake on January 08, 2008, 11:21:05 PM

I don't want to paint the boat.

Hmmm.  That last is probably going to make an inconspicuous repair that much harder.

I've heard of some folks simply painting over the cracks if they are small enough...let the paint fill 'em in.  This may not be the "recomended" way, but I've heard it done.

A Gel Coat Repair kit might get you through....personally, I've not had much luck matching color, though, but admittedly, I only did this on a blue stinkpot.

Probably the "best" way to truly repair, (ie, strengthen) the cracks is to grind them out to a "V" shape with a dreml tool (and V bit), fill the grooves with thickened epoxy (or polyester, maybe we can get a good old fashioned flame-war over this...   ;D  ), let cure and sand off smooth.  Especially if you use epoxy, you WILL have to paint after this.

Hope this helps.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

However, if they are stress cracks, just gelcoating over the area again, even with Capn Smollett's good repair directions, is only going to delay them showing up again.  If they are stress cracks, then the area needs to be reinforced and strengthened to prevent the stress cracks from recurring.

BTW, you can gelcoat over epoxy resin.  :) There's a good paper on it over at the west systems site.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran