News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Insurance

Started by s/v Faith, April 05, 2006, 02:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllAboutMe

Unless I'm grossly misinformed, a survey isn't generally required for liability insurance.

CharlieJ

OK- real quickly, here's the tale.

I called Boat/us and did an online quote with one of their people. He promised a quote by that friday. Friday comes, no quoute, monday, tuesday, etc. This was supposed to be a phone call by the way.

So I called back- got told they didn't insure boats that were up for sale. Told them it WASN'T "FOR SALE" it was a SAIL boat. She says "Oh- I'll fix that and mail you a quote". Comes the letter- "we don't insure boats that are for sale".

So I call back- "it ain't for sale". . Send us a fax to that effect. So I sent the fax- " the boat is not now, nor has it been for sale- it's a sail boat"

Comes the letter "we don't insure boats that are for sale"

So I call back AGAIN. same poop- send us a fax- "where's the first fax?" Don't know. So I fax again, call back- yep- she got it, she'll handle it-

Comes another letter- "we don't insure boats that are for sale".

Two days later I get ANOTHER letter telling me that my premiums would be "some ungodly amount" and I would have to have an out of the water survey before the insurance would be issued. Their surveyor by the way. Haul-out fee, surveyor fee, etc.

So I call back- All I want is liability.

We'll get back to you.

Ready? You got it-

Letter comes- "we don't insure boats that are for sale"

So I gave up.

Far as I'm concerned they can't find their butts with both hands and I don't intend to renew my membership, which by the way, expired some months ago, but they sent me the mag anyway, AND keep emailing me the "newsletter" so I guess they havcen't figured out that I'm a lapsed member.

I see utterly NO benefit to belonging.

If we go aground, I'll get it off myself. I've done it often enough now I can do it in the dark  ;D

Interestingly enough, I had this same kinda runaround with Boat/US back in the 80s when I wanted insurance on my trimaran, only that time, for several tries, filling out forms and mailing them in, they just totally ignored me.

So I'm done with them.

I got liabilty through my homeowners policy. Called my agent, told him the state numbers on the boat, described the boat,  and he says- "you now have a million in liability insurance" Just like that.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Zen

Progressive it took 10 min or less on the phone to get covered.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

Yep, Allstate was about a ten minute phone call, too.  Just give the hin, answer a few questions about how I use the boat and what coverage I want, and....done.

Easier, and cheaper, than I thought it would be.

Boat US sure sounds bilged.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I used Hartge Insurance out of Annapolis, and got a quote the same day I asked for one.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pixie Dust

I have Allstate on Pixie Dust.  I just reviewed and coverage is good for US and Canada and up to 100 NM off the Continental US.  My annual rate is only 182 which I feel is reasonable.   I am going to contact them though to see about a rider for more distance off.  Even if not, I will renew this yr because a lot of time will still be spent within the 100 NM, especially in the Bahamas.  I iwill keep you posted on what I find out about a rider.  It may not be worth the added expense. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Rob Davison

Being another of the Liability Only crew,  My question is which companys seem to offer the best deal on liability only.  The quote from my local insurance office that I run the cars through was way out of line for the size of boat that I have.  A 21 ft speed boat with 400 hp maybe but not a sailboat with 4.5 hp.  Any suggestions that may help?

CharlieJ

Our liability is with Allstate. Cost me an additional $13 a month. BUT we have both house ( three policies) and car insurance with them also, so my agent was right willing to talk.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Fortis

having found that insurance companies have long since given up concepts like customer loyalty and looking after their existing customer base in order to attract "new business", my wife and I spend a couple of days per year chopping and changing around our various policies and shopping them around through the internet.

It is truly amazing the money that this saves.

At the moment we have both cars with the same company, but this is mostly because of coincidence. Everything else is farmed out to the lowest premiums amongst a select bunch of insurers (Or as we decided, "we are too poor to pay money to an insurer we would also have to take to court to get a settlement"...So it is not just about picking the lowest price across the board.)

At the end of the year, we do our research and gather our prices and if we are happy with our existing insurer, we give them a call and TELL THEM what premium they need to match or better to retain our business. If thye do not then bye bye.

Using this methd means that we have ended up with the RACV insurance company (as an example) three times in alternate years, as they do not haggle, but offer all sorts of insentives to leave "your existing insurer for us". So we spend a year with them at the honeymoon rate, price the alternatives, go with them and then get "seduced" back by the RACV.

It is a little insane, but it is worth while to the tune of several hundred dollars and a range of benefits.

I have found that though when I first went to insure our boat, most companies wanted a survey. One didn't, and gave me agreed value (Locked in and set in stone). At the end of the second year we were offered a better deal but because we were already insured we were not asked for a survey and the agreed value was carried over to the new insurer (who was one of the ones that insisted ona survey when we first queeried them).

I think of it as a game of chess...otherwise it would seem too stupid to be fun playing.

Alex.

CharlieJ

I also think a LOT of it depends on the agent. we've had the same agent now for 14 years, he's a friend, and looks for ways to save us money. He's called at renewal time and suggested changes that would be beneficial to us financially..

Once when we were out of town the insurer needed photos of our house for windstorm renewal. He couldn't get in touch with us, so he drove out (70 mile round trip) and took the pics himself.

THAT kind of agent, you stay with.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pixie Dust

Ok- the 100NM off Continental US does not include the Bahamas with AllState.  I would need to get a rider for approx $100 to cover the Bahamas.  They gave me the name and number of a Ft. Lauderdale company that does riders for "foreign sailing"  It is The Loomis Company.  They cannot currently give me a quote since they are under hurricane watch.  I am curious to see the cost of this.

As for the sale of my house,  Allstate would not write her a new policy due to the age of my roof.  The roof passed the home inspection and I currently have Allstate, but since the past hurricanes, this is the new policy procedures.  She has been with this agent her whole life and is not willing to change agents.  That is dedication.  Needless to say, she backed out within her 10 day window Sat.   :( :'(  Anyone want to buy a home in Tally.  (we are a hurricane evacuation point   ;) )  Home is back on the market.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Captain Smollett

Oh Man, Connie, I am sorry to hear that.  That is a rather silly reason to back out of buying a house - but that just my opinion.  Insurance is a business arrangement, and I don't understand that kind of loyalty to a business 'partner' who is not giving you what you want (and are willing to pay for).

Oh well.  It'll sell.  Just remember, when we sold our last house, the first offer on it was so ludicrously insulting and it was LESS than what we owed on the mortgage!  You find all kinds of folks when buying and selling houses...it's mind boggling.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Sorry to hear the bad news Connie.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CapnK

CJ -

"Tehani" is for sale? WOW!?! How much are you asking???

teeheehee :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

In their November 2007 Site Update, Lin Pardey describes the process of them 'settling in' ashore for a time.  Though there is a lot of interest in this tale, one thing that jumped out at me was that they were denied dockage at NUMEROUS marinas in the Southern CA area due to lack of FULL insurance coverage on Taleisin.

That's amazing.  I can (sorta) see marinas requiring liability, but to require full coverage is a bit flakey, imo.  Also, I would think they would see just having L&L and their famous boat there as a BIG PLUS, puplicity-wise.

My only experience with a marina that 'required' insurance was Hilton Head Harbor in Hilton Head, SC.  I told the dock master I did not have insurance, nor did I have the 'required' automatic bilgepump.  I guess he did not hear me as he completed my paperwork and took my check for the week.

I'm still trying to get my head around someone refusing Lin and Larry dockage - that sure does make for some powerfully negative word-of-mouth for the area's tourism, eh?  Not that it will matter, of course.  LA's marinas will continue to be able to set their own price, but it at least cements in MY mind a place I'll not visit.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Frank

That would be like an LA church keeping out the pope  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

The marina must cater to powerboats... :) It is rather short-sighted of the marina to refuse to give Larry & Lin a slip... I can understand why they'd ask for liability coverage, but full coverage???

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on November 24, 2007, 11:17:02 AM
The marina must cater to powerboats... :) It is rather short-sighted of the marina to refuse to give Larry & Lin a slip... I can understand why they'd ask for liability coverage, but full coverage???

It was not A marina, but many.  Read the article - they pretty much were denied dockage in the whole harbor, and were finally offered a spot by a friend.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

That's even worse... I would wonder if it is a local requirement...but that sounds pretty ridiculous...since many people I know that own older boats have liability but not full coverage on their boats.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Marc

okay guys the time has come for me to get Lorinda out of the backyard and hopefully into a slip at a nearby body of water.  I have'nt talked to my insurance man yey because I don't know what questions to ask.  Afterall this is Iowa!  Just what do I need for this and such.  I figure you guys are the pros so I'm starting here.  Thanks to all, Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa