Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Lookout Cape Lookout

Started by Papeye, August 05, 2006, 04:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papeye

July 2006

Having had my little ship out of the water for the past six months and summer rapidly coming to an end, my wife and I decided to take the "nearly finished" boat out to the coast for a week's cruise.  I had spent the last six months adding a pilothouse to the CP23d so we could have standing headroom and indoor steering for inclimate weather and now could do a sea trial on the new setup,.

So we set out towards Beaufort, NC to launch at  Lennoxville Point.  The trip there was uneventful, but that was soon to change as the week before us would be filled with adventures never experienced before.  With somewhat ease we put the boat in the waters of Taylor Creek and cranked up the little inboard diesel I call "Popeye."    Up the river we motored and took a glimpse of the Beaufort Boardwalk.  It was getting late so we decided to anchor in the creek for the night.  There is quite a current in this creek as the tides come and go...took some getting used to.  Slept relatively well that night.

Day two was now dawning and the real adventure began.  Clear skies, good wind, and the Atlantic Ocean within reach, we motored out Beaufort Inlet to try our hand at sailing the sea.  Getting about 50 yards out of the inlet passing buoy #17 I decided to raise the mainsail and cut the engine.  This is the real ocean I had dreamed of sailing for years and years!!!  Hmmmm...not bad so far.  Took a left hoping to sail parallel to the coast of Shackleford Bank.  Then something very strange began to happen.  That big fat buoy #17 was getting closer and closer!  "It's coming after us!" my wife shouted.  Time to start the engine and make a turn, I thought.  But Popeye wouldn't rise to the occasion!  The rudder didn't seem to be responding either!  In a few seconds we SMACKED the large steel #17 Buoy broadside!  With a "sinking" feeling I could just imagine a huge hole in the side of my little ship.  As we drifted by the fat buoy, I examined the portside of the hull and, to my relief, found only some scratches to my paint.  WHEW, what a relief.   Decided to sail  the inlet back towards Beaufort to try to figure out what just happened to us.  It was, of course, the strong current coming in that inlet. (this ain't no Kerr Lake, Bobby).  Anchoring off the inlet, I began to inspect the little engine that wouldn't start. I couldn't get it going.  Sailed back into Taylor Creek to the dock at Lennoxville to anchor until I could get the motor going.  Spent some time reading the Yanmar Manual for help.  While trying this and that with the engine the tide went out and left us stuck in the knee high muck at the dock!   Oh well, I needed a rest anyway.  During the hours of low tide I found the problem...the fuel cap vent was clogged.  Cleaned it up and Popeye cranked right up.  But now it was overheating????   Found the water inlet filter clogged up with sand, etc. 

Day three was upon us and it was time to try again.  (My previous boat was named ITHINKICAN as a characteristic of my determination)  So back out the inlet we go...this time I went about a mile beyond Fat Buoy #17!  Raising the sails and keeping the engine idling, I made the turn to head towards Cape Lookout.   Seas and winds were higher this day but we seemed to be making progress toward our ultimate destination.  However, the rolling motion of the seas made my wife quite seasick.  Feeling great sorrow for her I reluctantly turned back and went to a peaceful anchorage in the Back Sound of Shackleford Bank.  A great night's sleep.

Day four found us anchored all morning while tornado warnings threatened the region.  Some gal named Beryl seemed to be beckoning our area. Hung out in the sound until the weather cleared.  I thought we might try the "back way" to the Cape via Harker's Island.  Following the channel as far as I could...the cut toward Cape Lookout began to show 1' 6" and I draw 2'4" so I turned back. Being able to see the Lookout Lighthouse from that position it seemed to be saying "Ha Ha, ya can't come here, can ya?" Spent the night behind Shackleford again thinking; "I'll get to ya sooner or later!"

Day five.  I noticed while sailing to Harker's Island that Taylor Creek entered the Back Sound right there.   Hmmmm....a shortcut to the Lennoxville ramp.  "We'll go that way to the ramp"  Biggest mistake of the week!  "Three feet of water at low tide" the passing boater said.  Well, there might have been three feet, but it must have only been 2 feet wide!   I was aground before I knew it.  Time to get out and push/pull.  After struggling for ½ hour we were finally free.  By the way, while I had rigged up a seat cushion on a rope for a safety measure.  Now that we're free from the bottom it was time to put the engine to work to take us the ½ mile to the ramp.  Suddenly the engine siezed up!!  That blasted rope had gotten to the prop and it was wound tight.  Spent ½ hour diving with my trusty knife attempting to cut it loose.  No luck doing that!  So I stuck out my hitchiking thumb and the first stinkpot that came by gave me a tow all the way to the ramp.  Loaded up and headed back to Raleigh feeling like I've been beat up by a heavyweight boxer, 

But, WOW, what memories!!!   I feel sure we'll do it again!

PS;  my wife's favorite part?  Having a toilet onboard!....(but on the last day the hose came loose beyond the v-berth and really stunk up the place)

Adam

LOL Great story... and good idea to get all your bad luck over with at once :)

Adam

Capt. BC

That is a story that you will remember for a long time. Stories like this will educate you for a better trip next time. By some chance, is your hull green? I saw a poor fellow hard aground last sat. with a big southwest wind on the east end of the creek and in the open area of the sound. I could not get there, with my little skiff. The wind and tide was in the same direction at that time.

Papeye

I'm sure glad that part of my sailing life is over...I think I'm now qualified to say "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!"  My hull is not green...I'm trying to attach a pic, don't know if it'll work or not???

Capt. BC

That is a very nice cruiser, indeed. The east end of the creek in Beaufort is not too friendly to much else than a runabout on half tide.  So please do not worry about what happened, and tell your wife not to fret. I have a wife that enjoys a nice and calming trip on the water, but gets terrified when something  on the order of your event happens. But also tell her that if she trips and falls, we all just get up and try it again. This applies to boats and boating.

I would suggest that you use the channel that is on the north side of Harkers Island, passing throught the Harkers Island bridge, and contine past  Sleepy Creek at Marshallberg, and make the turn south and then down to the cape. There are several places in the channel that is tight, on low tide, half way down. BUt you can read the sand bars. Four feet of draft is pretty tough through that area.

The cut to the south side and east of Harkers Island, should only be used on the high water and with care. The bouys change also in that channel. Check you tide charts carefully and transit with care. The wind can change the depth of water a foot sometimes.

Papeye

Thanks for the info, Cap.  I'll tuck that away for my next trip out there.