life's crests and troughs

Started by starcrest, December 21, 2005, 03:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starcrest

that was adjusted---I could only set it to zero inside a building when there was no read outs given,still at sea level it was very innacurate.I took one in a 737 once and the speed was accurate and I thought the altitude was probably erroneous.it only would work when held near a window.speed readout was 650 kts,and the lat/lon read out was phenominal.yes they let me carry it and use it on board.lift off at 150 kts,and it was quite obvious by looking at the track when it was on or off autopilot.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

starcrest

one more thing----I wrote previously how when I was crossing the oceans I lost my appetite---I grew tired of the canned food on board and ate only out of pure necessity---when the hunger pains kicked in.well I went for the pre-employment physical for my new job----dont you know that I went from 148 to 156 in just a few days???this is because I stopped to eat eat eat eat eat burgers fries pizza soda candy impulsively eat eat eat eat---surrounded by food---chinese buffets----candy chips ----stop eat stop eat-----soda candy burgers----I will do my best to live like a sailor at sea----now lesseee----where's that can opener---"skippy chunks" any one?????
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

Kailyst

Starcrest,

I am going through one of life's less than stellar times myself right now. Nothing at all like yours. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that everything turns out the way the Creator intends. I keep telling myself that this is only a lesson and a test for brighter blessings to follow.

I hope that your Bright Star will lead your way to better times and safe harbor!!

K
We're all here because we're not all there.

Pixie Dust

Very nice and positive way to put it Kailyst .  The valleys do make us appreciate the mountain tops.  Having that faith and trusting in his plan can be difficult, but trust and faith is the key!  His plan is not always our plan. :) May both of you find that safe harbor and better times.   :))
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

starcrest

speaking of valleys and mountain tops I was on the Strip  here jus' yes'errday-- and it was snowing.Imagine going from tropical heat to snow juss'like dat.the mountains r indeed covered with snow---but I have yet to check lake mead.I will bet there's no 'gaters or sea cows---there aint no roaches but there are those scorpions---as for the guiding star----polaris is still there---iss'jussa bit higher in the sky.and everything still rises in the east and sets in the west---but we are definetly not in the center of the universe---as previously thought---hoo waz dat---dat got in trouble---gallileo or copernicus??? don'all anserat wunce ???

hearsejr

now that I have a sailboat again, I have no plan. we'll just see which way the winds blow when the dock line is on the deck coiled up. lol.
well maybe one plan..
I planning on changing the layout in the SC-22, slightly. I thinking the 22 will work for the Bahama run with a few minor changes in the cabin and some well thought out moves ahead of time.
there are a few guys and gals in the South Coast groups who sail lake Mead. I'll get the addy for ya.
Bill

hearsejr

here is the addy where a lot of Lake Mead folks hang out.  might be good to meet up with them. maybe even get to sail a few week ends here and there.

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/southcoast/index.cgi

Bill

starcrest

thnx---I am 'jussa stonze-tro away

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: starcrest on March 21, 2006, 12:44:18 AM
well here it is----DROVEFARDAT(DOT)CAR. I had the garmin gps on the dashboard the whole time----very interesting----even a lane change registered on the true rose---but heres my query----the analog speedometer on the car did not register the same as the gps.which do you think is more accurate? according to the odometer I covered 2619 miles.however the gps said 2731 miles.I think that even changing tire size would make a difference in the odometer readout---thats why I am tending to go with the garmin readout.also the gps never blinked---it never said "searching the sky" as it has done before----except fot two short tunnels I went thru.before I did the first voyage on the ariel I drove up and down the pacific coast hwy taking sextant sights-- to see for my self the dramatic changes in the resultant l.o.p.'s.so as I knew I was headed across country I figured I would partake in this experiment.Also----these units have an altitude read out----I always knew it was innacurate---however on I10 west in the western part of texas----I began going up hill----I notice the altitude readout---I compared this to my skydiving altimeter----lo' and behold it was somewhat accurate----at 5000 feet on the aneroid altimeter, the gps was suprisingly rite there ----with in a few hundred feet----this was a a new discovery issue for me---I never thought the gps altitude  was accurate especially when it said I was 149 feet up----at the dock.even tho this is a sailing website I figured I would tell  about this-----having to do with a marine hand held gps.

I would say that the GPS is probably more accurate that the speedo on the dash.  The speedo on the dash can be affected by things like tire size, tire inflation pressure.  The discrepancy between the odometer and the GPS is related to the speedo being slightly off.  The error is about 4.28%

The altitude function in some of the GPS units, unless they have a barometric sensor, like the Gzarmin 76CS series, is based on GPS triangulation. If it gets a good lock on more than four satellites, it can do a three-dimensional plot, rather than just a "two-dimensional" plot.  The accuracy varies with the that of the GPS signals—ie. if the GPS has an accuracy circle of 500 feet, then the altitude can vary +/- 500 feet...if it has an accuracy circle of 25 feet... the altitude will generally be within +/- 25 feet. etc.

I can understand some of what you are saying about life's ups and downs.  I have been through quite a bit myself.  My boat, the s/v Pretty Gee is named for my late wife, who never got a chance to go sailing with me.  She and I were together for only 23 months and one day—from the time we met on a blind date, got engaged, married, and fought her cancer together.  That's what the line in my signature is about.   I also lost my identical twin almost 20 years ago to a drunk driver.   He's the one who got me hooked on sailing many, many years ago.

Over the years, I learned that you have a choice.... you can laugh or you can cry, and laughing is generally much easier to clean up after... When I finally got the chance to get my boat, naming her was a no-brainer.  I also know that Gee and David are both up there watching out for me. 

I do invite anyone who is interested to read about My Life With Gee, which is the subject of a book I've started writing.  The working title of the book is "No Greater Love" and the title comes from something I wrote for her sister to read at the memorial service.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

starcrest

I am here:www.skydiveperris.com    there is a campground and an rv park on the premisis..I start an xray job in the area.people here have trailors.people here have motor botze on blocks---I will have a sailboat on a trailor where I can live and work on it.---with in a few months if all goes well. ;D

starcrest

in just a few days or a week or so I will be quarantined here in las vegas at UMC med ctr.I will orally ingest an isotope of radio active iodine  to ablate the thyroid cancer  again..after 33 external radiaton beam treatments,last year, I was told then that I would most likely need the ablation again.
                    then I will be starting another job in southern california.if all goes well in about 3-4 months---there will be another boat---and years of preparation later----another ocean crossing.the thought of me getting another boat is very much to the dismay of immediate family members.as far as they are concerned---I should be on permanent disability ---for the rest of my life---in some group home for the elderly and/or otherwise sick and infirm.they scoff at the idea of me doing what I want to do---it was bad enuff that I re-enterd the skydiving scene----now I f'n live there???you mean I can actually keep aboat and live on it there???Its exactly what I went thru 20 years ago----it cant be done---I am getting negativity----discouragement---and sarcasm---infact---you can tell by all the pictures I took ---and by all that I wrote---I really never did what I did---infact you can see by the courses on the charts that I still have---I never was where I was on those days---iI just really did not do this .its impossible.
                      the stage has been set.it has been set as such because after all I went thru in the last 6 months or more---I have been stepped on ---scorned--and just down trodden by a specific few.SomeOne UpStairs Heard This---And Action Was Taken.now its up to me.its what I have called in the past:"stick-to-it-ive-ness"

Zen

Even though only virtually we are with you E-man!
Don't let the downers run your life.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

Starcrest-

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  Good luck with the treatment...may it zap all the nasty cancer cells.  I look forward to hearing from you when you get out.

Dan
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

starcrest

just to let you all know---I was released yesterday from UMC med center after ingesting the radio isotope.my neck is swelled up---various lymph nodes---some cleared up already-----some are somewhat painful----especially one axillary one----under the left armpit---is some what sore-----imagine no nausea----no vomiting----but my lungs feel as if they want to vomit----I think I got this "ablated"  as they say----I will need  a body scan on monday----then another scan in one year-----by the way----Tamy loves the ocean---she grew up on the water in Huntington beach----I will show her the Ocean in a way she has never seen it----that will be my reward from the Great Overseer Of All Things---as I refer to it----but in no way will I put her thru the misery of that first five days north---theres gotta' b' another way home-----