News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

$30 battery op depth sounder / fish finder

Started by s/v Faith, August 16, 2006, 09:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

HAd read a post on this somewhere, been thinking of picking one up.

Harbor freight brings you the best the Chineese can  produce, (sometimes their quality is not the greatest).

THis seems handy for surveying channels in the dink, or as a back up to a primary depth sounder (yes, I know I have a lead line too, but they don't work too well at speed).

PORTABLE FISH FINDER

What ya think?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cmdr Pete

I was just shopping for a portable depth sounder. I like to use my Melonseed Skiff as a research and exploration vessel for my Pearson Commander.

I decided not to get a depthsounder with a floating transducer. I didn't think it would work well if its bobbing along behind the boat as you tow it behind.

Instead, I bought one of those flashlight style depthsounders. You lean over the side and dunk it in the water. I picked up a used one on ebay for $35.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3394

Problem is, I don't use it very often.

I might just get the Harbor Freight one. Even an intermittent signal would be O.K. If it doesn't work, I'll try to mount the transducer to the bottom of the hull as a shoot-thru.

Heck, its only $30

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Cmdr Pete

In case somebody is thinking about buying one of these,  I still haven't received mine after 7 weeks.

They did send me a gift certificate for my troubles. $1 off my next purchase.

A whole dollar.
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

Sometimes going with the lowest price makes it the most expensive... My dad always told me to buy good, decent quality tools, or I'd pay for them twice...once when I bought them, and once when I replaced them with what I should have bought in the first place.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more