Piracy Story: Anyone know which issue?

Started by Captain Smollett, August 08, 2006, 08:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Yesterday, my wife happened upon a story of piracy in Reader's Digest.  The couple was on a six year cruise SOMEWHERE (she did not get that far into the story), and 'claimed' to be taking all the appropriate anti-piracy measures.

However, she did not get to finish the story, and did not know which issue of Reader's Digest this was.  Does anyone know this story?  I'd like to know how recent it was and where they where, etc.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

It's in the April 2006 issue; now I just have to lay my hands on it.  From what she read, it was a couple on a circumnavigation and they were attacked by two boats; the men were purportedly armed with AK-47's.  But that's all she had time to read.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Zen

Sounds exciting  :o
better to read about it thou... :(

On Sailjazz.com ( I think) there is a story from a woman who was sailing with her family on a homebuilt Cat. on a 4 yr circumnavigation and they were attacked whilst in a convoy of others and had to outrun a couple or so boatful of ruffins. It was I believe outside Somalia. I think I posted a picture of her boat if not here it is, I saw her just last week. They are prepping for a trip to Mexico.

here is the link:
http://www.sailjazz.com/editorial/read/36

Hmm wonder if it is the same person  :-\
Naw, your was a 6 yr adventure.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Off topic......

but.  Our YC has a movie night next week (we project a movie on a sail down at the docks, and eat popcorn and icecream).

Someone mentioned a movie where a woman dresses as a man to be crew on a pirate ship..... I am ot a loss for a title.

Any ideas?

(I only know one, the 'pirate movie' with Christi Mcnickel (sp) but I don't think that is the one)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

The Lats & Atts magazine and the website Noonsite both have listings for areas with reports of piracy.  BTW, the US Navy is now taking action against pirates in the Mid-East at least...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Okay, my wife found a copy of the issue.  They were in the Red Sea, between Somalia and Yemen, which is one area of the world I have no desire to cruise in the current state of affairs.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

Was that the story about the couple who were in the steel boat? (ended with them raming and sinking the bad guys while they fired 7.62x39 rounds into the hull to on avail?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Yep, that's it.  From 2005.  After my wife read the story, she said "they were lucky to have survived that attack."
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina