The Sailfar.Net Philosophy: Since this is a "Small Boat site"...

Started by Skipper Dave, December 27, 2005, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipper Dave

How many of us are ready to move up in size?  I know we have thought about it and would like to make it a sizable leap...maybe 40' to 45'.  Problem is simple...money...don't get me wrong we love our Cal 2-27 but when we go on other peoples larger boats we get that urge.  Well for now we will be bobing in our 27'footer, loving it,and posting here with all you nice folk.

----------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Captain Smollett

Doesn't Bigger boat = bigger maintenance cost?
                            = more maintenance time?
                            = harder to handle short/single handed?
                            = more expensive to haul overland, if the need arises?
                            = higher slip fees?

It seems 25-30 ft is the sweet spot for a single/couple cruiser. Unless you cruise with sufficient crew aboard that the extra room is really necessary, of course.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

The Edge

I would love a PDQ 35' Catamaran.  But it is totally impractical for just me.
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Skipper Dave

Edge,

When you say it is impractical do you mean handling alone?

Zen

I just moved up in size. I had a 26 ft Ariel, went to a 29 foot Islander.

The only reason I would move up to a 30 footer, would be a shower and a diesel motor.

As the wife and I will be living aboard at some point, she would be more comfortable with a built-in shower, I would want the diesel for distance and no gas on-board.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Skipper Dave

Zen,
We have thought of living aboard but won't for the same reasons, wife wants shower etc...

The Edge

Skipper Dave,

I feel that I could SAIL her alone.  I don't know that I would want to face the maintenance alone.  Alone, I have too much wonderlust and impulsiveness.  My Mac is great for that "problem" as I can hitch her up to my pick up or put her in a container for .....Australia, Lampura, etc.

When I speak of maintenance, I am talking about a lot more than money.  I could probably handle that (I hope).  I am not that mechanically inclined (FAA Certified Mechanics always took care of the planes) and it is soooooo hard to find a gooood mechanic. :(
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Frank

I have always loved small boats.You get 'comfortable' with them.Ya get to know them.My largest was a 34 @ 11000lbs. Anchored out in the Bahamas on windy nights(most are windy) I slept with one eye open.Gunk holing is NOT the same as with a 20-26fter...worry more and can't just 'push off' after grounding.Ground tackle is way smaller...that 35lb CQR is now not marginal ..but a STORM anchor!!Chain and rode is lighter(less$$)and easier to handle.Ya worry more docking not to mention paying more.We all have opinions...I strongly feel that you become way more comfortable,feel safer,have way less stress,have way more fun and explore way more on a small boat.PLUS way way less $$$.My lil ariel (25.5ft) is offshore capable(thanks Carl Alberg)has good storage,comfortable bunks,inside shower and shallow draft.A Beneteau 423 would be nice ..BUT I KNOW after I set my ego aside ,that the fun factor is better -smaller...yes....size DOES matter   My 2 cents...stay small and improve your boat
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Skipper Dave

Well I'm glad I brought this up I feel a lot better.  Not that I didn't like our Cal 27, I like it very much, maybe it's one of those feelings that pass when you weigh everything.  Thanks Folks.

Zen

Frank: "inside shower" on your Ariel  ???

Is this the hang a curtain in the main saloon, stand in a bucket type of shower? For most females I know, this will get OLD QUICK!

BTW, nice job on the inside of your Ariel. That table is a great idea.
the v-berth door, looks like a roll-up.

When I had my Ariel, and was single, and living aboard, I made it so I could convert the two single berths into one double berth, for "guests" & myself...

Showers were done in the marina facilities. Clean, hot water most times, just the walk back from there to the boat was a drag in the rain or a COLD night.

Paulus

I have sailed most sizes, from a 10 ft Snark to a 45 ft Freedom but I am convinced that if it's sailing you want to do, rather than moving under sail, smaller is better. The big boats sail you; as the boat gets smaller, you get to do more of the sailing.

I also am thrilled by the independence my small 23 ft Seaward offers - I can load her up on the trailer on a whim and a few hours later I have a completely different sailing venue.

At night, once you close your eyes my boat is no different from the monster in the next slip; the sunset looks the same from my cockpit and the beer tastes just as good too.  ;D

Frank

French...the louvered door is teak,not a 'roll up'?? There are pics of my shower mod on the ariel site.I put a sump in the floor of the forward cabin c/w pump and a wrap rd shower curtain so you can comfortably sit on the head (as in most larger yachts before 38ft or so)and use a pressurized hot water tank.Simple,comfortable and works.   PS...the view is as nice from the cocpit of a small boat as a large one.

CapnK

Paulus got some good Karma from me for that one. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

Ah, Frank. I see it all now. I remember when you first had the beginning pictures posted. WOW what a great job you did!!!  :o

We think alike seems like. I did a setup like that on my main saloon for sleeping. I had been thinking of a like arangment as yours for the shower on my Islander. Now I know where to get the flex line...sweet I just need to figure out to do the drainage. I figured a pump spayer as the holding tank, which i can install easy enough.

djn

Hi All, this is something we are going back and forth about.   We have a Catalina C25 and it is nimble, can take many seas here on the great lakes, is roomy for a 25 footer.  Now that our three daughters are away in college, we started thinking about selling the big house and getting a condo.  We could then travle at will.  Well my wife saw a Nauticat 44 and said "fork the condo!!!".   So do we go for the big boat or get the condo and maybe move up to a 32 pearson or similar?  Who knows?

Zen

Being a logical person, and knowing things change...I would go for the condo and a 30ft. You can travel as much as you want, and still take a break when you want..
I always like the have your cake and eat it too idea... 8)

Amorous

I've cruised on boats from a converted 16' Windmill to a 47' Vagabond.  Even bought and refit a 51' Formosa.  By the time I was finished with the refit (I did all the work myself) I finally realized that I could either own a real cool boat OR go cruising, not both.  Sold the big boat.  Figured out what it was that I really wanted and bought the perfect boat to do it with.  It just happened that she was 29' long.
Granted, it was nice sitting in a little cove and living in what can only be described as a floating palace, looking all shippy and salty, but those coves were alot fewer and far between than they are now.  I also tended to stay longer as getting underway was a major undertaking.  Now I can be ready to go in about 10 minutes and don't even need to start the engine. 
Sailing into a slip becomes pretty tricky with a 47' boat, not impossible, but you sure make alot of people nervous!

s/v Faith

I was tempted yesterday by a terrific deal on a well found 30' boat that I have highly regarded and looked at for some time.

The boat needed some work (don't they all) but not too much work.  Price was less then a third of the market, and I could have written a check for it free and clear......

So, I lost a nights sleep.  The owner is a great guy, spent time with he and his wife.... toured the boat.

My first mate and I both looked at the extra 4 feet, the ton's of storage space we do not have, the head WITH A DOOR, a real galley, all the nice stuff that a 30' boat brings that even a salty 26' boat does not......

We both came to the same conclusion.

We are sticking with what we have.

Now, my plans include long distance, and spending quite a bit of time on this boat.  I thought I was looking for something a little bit bigger

The perfect deal drops into my lap.... and I find that compared to what I have the extra 4 feet is not worth the cost/maintenance/ease of handling/little bit of extra draft(about 7"more)/little taller mast(4or5') etc.

I can't explain it other then to say that I guess I believe that while a 30' boat is by no means 'too big' I like the small boat/long distance ideal.

Kinda cool huh?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

s/v Faith

Quote from: Frank on December 28, 2005, 09:00:15 PM
Hip hip HURRAY !!!!!   

Thanks Frank,

Somehow I knew you would get it. I am kinda surprised myself, since my plans started to include more and more of the horizon I was thinking bigger.....

Glad there are great examples like your boat to help me see all the space there is to be had aboard already.

Can't offer you a cold one, so I gave you a Karma point instead.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.