The Sailfar.Net Philosophy: Since this is a "Small Boat site"...

Started by Skipper Dave, December 27, 2005, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

But then how does he get his broadband internet connection???
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

Greetings from 12.5 miles out. THe weather is nice out here, a little choppy but ok. Now that my harddrive has been reformated totally losing all my programs and old enterainment files. I have a totally clean computer harddrive and access to the internet via satililte. After getting rid those bugs and umm, unspeakable downloading software from those survy dogs at "that" site. I will now be logging on from out here until the end of my extended vacation  8). With all the security problems there in the states, I think this is the safest location until our wonderful President has successfully defeated the terrorist threat and once again made our country the home of the free, safe and secure place that it once was. I'm sure that he in his greatness will have this settled soon.
until later this is Zen coming to you from 12.75 mile out somewhere in the Pacific on my small heading south boat.  ;)

fair winds
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Careful Zen,

The Napster police are working with homeland security and the men in black helocopters to capture your hard drive and make sure no unothorized pixels are displayed......

...They are right behind you. 

Look out!

:P

;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

*splash...*
oops my bad, darn slippery fingers, my harddrive just fell overboard , here at some unknown spot in the Pacific 15 miles out... I guess I'll just have to buy a new one...shucks 8)

oh, oh is that some big whale that just glupped it down as it was falling

on it's five miles from the bottom journey... ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

Notice To Mariners: 14 Aug 2006, Pacific Ocean, 15 nm from somewhere

Due to the magnet present in a hard drive lost overboard, local magnetic variation is 32 degrees, PA.  Refer to future editions of NtM for more information as it becomes available on this hazard to navigation.

;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Pixie Dust

Zen??? You did not hit your MOB on your GPS and go back to try to save it??  What is up with that???  It was not wearing its personal floatation device while offshore??  Bad boy!!

Kevin- I have a 1988 Compac 27/2 and love it!!  Lots of room although, you cannot trailer it.  Some picts on the gallery of her.  Makes for a great small family boat.  I am a huge fan of Compac's.  Solidly built.   
My 27/2 does however still fall in the category of Small boats so I can continue to hang out with you dudes on Sailfar.   ;)  That is the real reason I do not move up in size.  I would miss you all.   :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

K3v1n

Thanks guys for your input on my 3-foot-itis. I'm still looking around and we will see. Perhaps another season with the 16. We are absolutely enjoying our "Little Sailboat"! ...and we don't have to worry about internet access.  ;)

If you are interested in reading about our adventures so far aboard 'Floridaze' ...check the link in my sig.

-Kevin

s/v Faith

Kevin,

You might want to spend some time sailing a C-19 before you buy.  We have 2 in my marina, and they seem a bit undercanvased to me.

FWIW
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

K3v1n

Hoping to get a look at a 19 this weekend that is for sale. I was going to go out on my buddy's 23 today but had to cancel that for now. I'm sitting here still trying to get the family ready to go launch 'Floridaze' for a little afternoon sail.  :)

PS. Since I am used to the 16 being under canvased I wonder if I could tell on the 19? I would think it would sail better with the full mast rig jib instead of my fractional on the 16.

-Kevin

K3v1n

Got to go aboard a CP23 and wow did it look and feel big. I also looked at a 19 yesterday which seems to be more my speed. I'm going to look at another 19 this evening. There just happens to be two for sale close by.

-kevin

Rob Davison

Still owning my 21 ft "starter boat" I feel like it will be a while before I feel like I have outgrown it and am ready to move up to the next stage that will be somthing that is probably between 27 and 33 ft.
My original plan 3 years ago was a progression of  21/30/40 somthing but that is subject to change.  I know that the next one has to have more creature comforts. = enclosed head with shower, decent galley, a real berth to sleep in. and trim that is a few steps up from feeling like I am sailing in a pickup camper shell.
The good point of having the 21 is that it is paid for and everything that goes on it is paid for.  it isn't fancy but it is a capable boat that is up to way more than my current skill level allows.
A major point with me has always been  "have a boat that you own, not one that owns you".

CapnK

All of those points are good ones, Rob. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Adam

I have to admit, I was mostly attracted to the idea of an under 30' boat for financial reasons. I'd had a 28' Morgan when I lived in Key Largo, but I had my own dock and was able to just go sailing whenever the weather was nice. After that, I had (partial ownership) in a 35' Coronado, and loved the space.

Now, having bought Ariel #50 from Frank, and having put over 300 miles under the keel, I have to say, I LOVE the convenience of a smaller boat. Without going into the financial aspects of moving a smaller boat around, I've found that I'm enjoying the smaller boat a lot more.

It's much easier to creep up into a protected inlet or (along the Okeechobee waterway) an oxbow in the river.
If I don't like where I'm anchored, it's a breeze to haul anchor and move!
Even while motoring along, if the breeze picks up, I'll haul the main and motorsail, since bringing it back down is so easy!
Keeping her clean (a chore on inland waterways!) is a lot easier. Much less deck to scrub
Squeezing into the fuel dock :) 'nuff said!

Anyway, I'm having the time of my life on this "trip home"... even with the 300+ mile detour :D

Thanks Kurt and Frank :)

AdriftAtSea

I know quite a few people with larger boats that don't sail as often as I do, because they need to find crew to go out.  While I enjoy sailing with a crew, I find I don't need to have crew aboard. :D  Sometimes, it is very nice to just go out by myself.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CapnK

Grog for Adam... :D Right on, bro - glad that the trip is working out so well! I knew you'd like the boat once you got to travel with/on her, especially after Frank had done such a great job getting her fixed up for just that sort of thing! ;D

Ona related note: Capt Smollett/John has been working behind the scenes on the sailFar wiki, so this is a good thread in which to introduce it. We'll have it up and "live" this coming week.

Basically, the wiki will be a web-based, user-modifiable encyclopedia of sailFar philosophy-related topics, place where we can compile all of this information related to "small boat, long distance" cruising that we share back and forth here in the Forum.

The idea/purpose is that it can eventually serve as a database-type resource for folks who are interested in what we are doing/have done, a more 'information specific' type of resource, as opposed to the 'community-based' resource which our Forum is. I don't know if I am describing it well - maybe someone else can do a better job of that, or you can just wait and see what it is this coming week... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

castawaysailor

I have owned up to a 37 footer and now have my NorSea 27; no desire to move up again; prefer to be able to handle my boat alone in all conditions.
NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

Captain Smollett

Quote from: castawaysailor on October 28, 2006, 05:11:29 PM
no desire to move up again; prefer to be able to handle my boat alone in all conditions.

Grog for Castaway!

I think that single statement sums up "The SailFar Philosophy" as succinctly as it can be said.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

castawaysailor

NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

castawaysailor

NorSea 27
s/v Castaway