What to do about Water? tankage, requirements, watermakers.... etc.

Started by s/v Faith, December 26, 2005, 12:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

After having read several accounts of SBLD cruisers who used multiple small containers for their water supplies/tankage (like W. Chiles and S. Acton), I have started to think it might be a viable solution for myself and Katie. Ariels are pretty small boats, and since their fore/aft trim can be affected greatly by weight distribution of stores, being able to easily move chunks of weight around as stores get used would help keep the boat on her lines for seakeeping and speed during passages.

Years ago someone gave me as a gift for camping a plastic 2.5 gallon water bag that had an outer nylon bag (with webbing handles for easy carrying) covering it to protect against punctures. The bladder part had an opening of about 1.5" diameter, easy to fill and clean, with a 'spout' that worked just like the box wine spouts do. I used it on long distance kayak trips, and it worked great. I still have it, altho' some time back I replaced the inner bag with one made of Mylar which I 'liberated' from a box of wine.

Those Mylar bags are easily obtainable without having to resort to cheap-wine hangovers (and cheap, too - less than $5 for a 5 gallon size) since you can buy them from emergency preparedness websites, come in varying sizes, and seem like an excellent solution. It would be easy to carry extra deflated bags in case some wore out. Making nylon sheath bags (or perhaps better, fleece-lined nylon bags) would increase their durability, protecting against puncture and chafe.

I see chafe as being potentially the biggest problem; on a long passage, the constant movement of the boat could lead to holes being rubbed into the Mylar. Keeping the bladder inside of the sheath would help with that, and stowing the bags in a manner which allowed for little or no movement would help, too. Perhaps lining any waterbag compartment with foam, and filing extra space with partially-inflated bags, would take away "wiggle room" which would cause chafing. Having webbing handles would allow the bags to be easily transported to and from water sources.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this for their whole-boat water supply, or know of any SBLD'ers who are using these bladders in lieu of more 'traditional' tankage options?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

skylark

You might try hanging them in a cloth hammock to reduce chafe.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

sharkbait

I've been thinking about my options for water tankage on my E-27.So far my best solution is to remove the head and holding tank.I'm thinking that I can replace the holding tank with a 15-20 gal water tank in addition to the 12 gal tank already installed and use the head compartment as the sail locker.Still that only gives me
around 30+/- gal.Cruising the Sea of Cortez,I think 45-50 gal would be better.Maybe these bags could take up the slack.I'm sure I could find space for 3-4  5gal bags
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Grime

Been trying to figure out how to carry more than a gallon of water on my boat. 5 gallon containers would take up to much room. What I thought was use a water tank like I have in my RV only a 20 gallon one instead of the 30.

My thought was to install it under the cockpit where I have plenty of dead space. Any thought and ideas on how I should go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

s/v Faith

David,

I went ahead and merged your post into this thread.  RV stuff is often good to look at when looking for good boat parts that don't cost what boat stuff costs.  Wonder if they have any tapered tanks?

I think you will find quite a few ideas in "What to do about Water? tankage, requirements, watermakers.... etc."
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Grime

Faith,
I had read through this thread. Hopefully my question will not get lost in the move.

David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

David- I installed a platform under Tehani's cockpit and used a 19 gallon flex tank
you don't need a vent then- just a fill and an outlet

Also - for a water tank, you can build one from plywood/epoxy/glass custom fit to the space.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

David, I have a bladder under the cockpit, you can see it behind the batteries;

It is a fairly easy way to get water storage in a hard to get to place.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll check out the flex tank. Due to the restrictions here I am not allowed to build anything.

David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Leroy - Gulf 29

Quote from: s/v Faith on May 12, 2008, 10:32:49 PM
David,

I went ahead and merged your post into this thread.  RV stuff is often good to look at when looking for good boat parts that don't cost what boat stuff costs.  Wonder if they have any tapered tanks?

I think you will find quite a few ideas in "What to do about Water? tankage, requirements, watermakers.... etc."

Check out Ronco plastics - no affilitation - all kinds of tanks

http://www.ronco-plastics.net/

Grime

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

David_Old_Jersey

Interesting read.

Downside with flexible tanks is that they do not last forever, even tied down the material does of course flex and move because of the water - but if yer buy new then IME the water tastes a lot better than from a built in 30 year old tank! And from what I can gather 10 years is not unusual.

Tend to use the fixed tanks onboard for cooking, washing up and showering and have plastic containers for drinking water - Large soft drink type containers for ease of handling (IME trying to pour into a cup from a 2 Gallon container is not always easy on a boat!).

On Wayluya Seadog I have TWO built in tanks......they are the wing keels  8)...I think around 20/25 Gallons each (but don't quote me on that)....never heard of this arrangement before, but on a 30 footer very useful not having to find a home inside for the Water tankage.......downside is that after 38 years the water does not taste quite as cool and refreshing as it could do.......tank cleaning is on the Agenda at some point - their are drain bungs, just not sure what access (if any) I can gain from the top, nor whether the tanks / keels have baffles.....it's something else "on the to do list".

Not my Seadog

When / If I do head off on an extended trip into the WBY, I think I will add a flexible bladder both for additional "nice" drinking water....but also to have a seperate storage for water.

Delezynski

David,

In the keels, COOL!

Very nice to be able to carry that much fresh water! We have 2 tanks of about 20 gal each under our births in the aft cabin.

We normally shock the tanks about twice a year with bleach. I like to clean them any time I get the chance, but it's not that often.

One thing we did to make life better (living aboard full time) is to add a PUR water filter to the galley. We used the faucet mounted unit.
You can see the type at: http://www.purwater.com/#/faucets
Ours is an older model, but about the same. And at about US $35.00 to 40.00, it's a good deal. Have you seen the price for a Seagull "Marine" filter??? :(

We use about 1 filer every 3 to 4 months. We brought along 8 or 10 filters and will need to pick some more up the next time we visit the USA.

When I change the filter, I also soak the filer housing and it's parts in a bit of bleach for a couple of min. That keeps everything clean!!!

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

CharlieJ

Greg- that's 40 gallons. Do you carry extra in smaller jugs? Either way, how does that amount work out, way out, such as when you guys have been  anchored down in the Sea Of Cortez.

With the 70 L ( 19 Gallon) tank I added under the cockpit, we carry 38 gallons internally, and roughly 10 more in 1 and 1/2 gallon jugs Laura uses to trim the boat.

We also use a filter- A friend gave us an all stainless one from a commercial airliner, along with a case of filters, Each filter is supposed to be good for 3000 gallons. So far, we've been changing once a year, because sadly, we've not been OUT enough to use 3000 gallons.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: Delezynski on May 13, 2008, 05:06:07 PM
One thing we did to make life better (living aboard full time) is to add a PUR water filter to the galley. We used the faucet mounted unit.
You can see the type at: http://www.purwater.com/#/faucets
Ours is an older model, but about the same. And at about US $35.00 to 40.00, it's a good deal.

Please don't put anything else on my list  :( :)

Something I had thought of - but will wait and see how the tank cleaning goes first.

Delezynski

CharlieJ,

A filter that works for 3000 gallons? That is a lot. I can see why you have not gone through a lot of them.

Our 40 gallons would NOT do for the Sea of Cortez unless we were VERY VERY careful! As a matter of fact, year before last was a drought and about ½ of the goats died in one area we like to visit. NO GOAT CHEESE for that year. Even the water in Puerto Escondido that came from the well that is normally GREAT tasting was brackish.

We have a Little Wonder water maker aboard. It saved the year for us. We would not have been able to stay out for months at a time like we do without it! But it does use the power! It is rated at 10 gallons an hour, but read the bit I wrote about water makers in our "Gear Report" for year before last (I think).

David,

SORRY!!!! :)
Hay, come on down here! We just helped a guy with a twin keeler haul out on his trailer yesterday. There is an open spot waiting for you here. ::)

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere

CapnK

Perhaps cheaper or easier for David is to simply use a filter pitcher, if his tanks are scuzzy. That's what I've been doing for a few years, and it knocks out that dock-hose taste and smell.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Delezynski

CapnK,

We tried  using the pitcher for a time. It worked fine at the dock, but not so well when we were underway.

I do agree that most of the filters work well. We have pressure water, so it was just easy to screw it on the galley and go. Our counter space is limited and one more thing in the sink was toooooo much for us.

Have you tried the product they call "Sweetwater"? I thought about it, but was unsure about drinking it on a regular basis.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere

CapnK

That makes sense to me, Greg. :)

Sweetwater? Nope, don't know it. Googled it, found this:

Which I WOULD definitely try, and probably like just fine ;D, but I doubt that is what you were referring to...

Is 'Sweetwater' an additive/purifier of some sort?
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Delezynski

CapnK,

Went to West Marine (the last place I saw some) and found  Aquabon Water Purifier, 8 OZ. It looks like about the same stuff. Here is a link to it:

http://tinyurl.com/5wu96m

Greg

(Edit: Made the link smaller)
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere