News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

SCUBA and the small boat Sailor

Started by s/v Faith, November 03, 2006, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Are there any other divers on this board?

I am a diver, and keep my gear on the boat.  I get quite a few of odd jobs, (hulls, zincs, props, etc...) and am surprised that there are not more people doing this. 

Do you dive?  Do you carry your gear on your boat?  Do you use it often?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

I'm an ole diver.Got my NAUI in 1978.It's a lot easier test now.Judy has her license too.We kept our tanks,suits,bc etc in the port cockpit locker on Revival...there was lots of room forward,with tanks on the bottom and remaining gear on top.Even room leftover aft for fenders,lines etc..Going to be a tight fit with the flicka...only one puny locker. The visability is awesome in the Bahamas..We've dove wrecks and seen rays and barracuda.While at Walker's Cay a few years back (before it closed down) Judy went 'shark diving'...I just asked her to scan the pics at work next week so I can post them.They would take you out...you would dive to the bottom...then they would dump fish parts over the side to attract the sharks....and DID THEY !!! There had to be 30...no guff !!  Notice I said 'Judy" went....this cowboy stayed on the boat !!! I figured I would have hiperventalated and used up my air in 5 minutes.She took a ton of pics with one of those disposable underwater cameras...worked great!! Not my idea of fun. Did I mention she likes heavy weather too.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

While I don't dive, I know at least one couple bought the same boat I have for use as a diving platform.  The amas allow the divers to dump their tanks before climbing up the swim ladder.

From what I remember, they're both PADI instructors down in Florida or thereabouts.

Next summer, I'm planning on getting my SCUBA certification.  It seems like it could be a useful skill to have, as well as a lot of fun as a hobby. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Joe Pyrat

Got my PADI cert in '76.  I'm debating whether to go with one of these new compact hookah rigs or with the tanks.  Like you I figure the occasional bottom cleaning or zinc job might supplement the cruising kitty.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

CharlieJ

Haven't had a tank on in 38 years now. Used to do cave diving way before anyone HAD to be certified to get air. 1965, 1966.  Also did body recovery stuff for a fire department over in Florida.  Used a Healthways double hose regulator for that work- the bubbles came up behind your head and didn't stir up mud.

When I was living aboard I bought Hookah gear and used that to do salvage work. Worked aboard a tow/salvage boat down in Boot Key Harbor in the early 80s. Then did salvage type stuff up in Jacksonville for a while- refloating sunken docks, changing props, cleaning hulls, etc.

Still have the Hookah setup although it hasn't been run since 1985 or so.  Don't know where I'd store it onboard the Meridian.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Carlie / Joe...if you haven't had new equipment on , you'd be surprised !! It really has come a long wag. Reg's are way smoother ,The BC's I used way back were manual inflate/deflate....now they connect to the tank and you just 'press a button' to add air or dump it. I hadn't been down in around 20 yrs but Judy and I got new 'low end' equipment back in 01 or 02. Even the 'low end' stuff is real nice. Fin's,full 2pc suite with boots/gloves,nice BC,tank,reg,triple gauge etc all came in around $700 per person.Would have cost as much in the 70's. When you get playing around a wreck in clear water with schools of small fish ...ya get that 'Jacque Costeau' kinda feeling. Back home is dark water-poor visibility and the odd bass.

s/v Faith

I had 4 diving jobs this weekend.  The water was kinda cold, especally as I only have a 3mm suit.

It is a great skill set to have if you work around boats, and it is EASY as pie to get.  I am telling you ANYONE can pass the PADI course, and dive.  You don't even need to know how to swim (a frequent concern I hear).

I got all my gear in trade for an outboard motor, and a couple other things I picked up along the way.

Diving is one of those hobbies that people do once, and think they are going to do forever, so they run out and buy lots of expensive gear... .and never use it.

Save your money, find one of these people, and buy their old stuff..... frankly my 12 year old daycor regulator breathes as well as the new one I used in the course, and my BC may not look as spiffy as the new stuff, but works every bit as well.

FWIW.

Joe Pyrat

Charlie, I was hoping to avoid having to fill tanks, but the extra space for storing the hookah rig would be hard to find.  Thanks for the info.

Frank, I visited a dive shop in Dallas and was amazed at some of the stuff they were telling me, like no dive tables.  I was kind of concerned about putting all my eggs in the computer basket though.  I work on these thins IRL and have concerns about crashes which would dump your dive data, but the dive shop guy assured me that wasn't an issue.  What is your opinion on this?

The push button BCs were just coming out when I got certified.  Needless to say not in my budget at the time.  :)

Faith, the PADI cert must have changed since 76.  You definitely had to be able to swim back then.  ;)

Joe Pyrat

s/v Faith

Yes, I believe it has changed.

I was surprised, swimming was not even brought up as a requirement.  I think it is because so much emphasis is placed on buoyancy control... with the skills you take away from the open water cert (basic) you really don't need to know how to swim (although I believe everyone who goes out on the water ought to be able to).

I know that the requirements in the past were much more difficult, but I think PADI has changed.  I don;t know that it is as much that they have 'dumbed it down' as they have become more inclusive.

Diving is a great thing for the elderly, physically challenged, and pretty much anyone now.  It has really changed.  I think PADI saw that there were a lot of people (and dollars) out there that would enjoy diving so they took an objective look at the quals and saw that it was really not that demanding.

The instructor I had did a great job, and I don't mean to imply that they are just giving the cert away.  I think they are focusing more on theory and application then on physical conditioning now.  I have heard that some outfits in resort areas are pretty lax with even the new standards.  :o  Not such a good thing.

What I am getting at with all this, is not to diminish the stuff the guys went through that qualled in the past, but rather to encourage anyone who might be thinking about doing it now.

It was not hard to do, is great fun, and opens up a bunch of options.

AdriftAtSea

Joe-

One thing to consider, a small hookah unit may store in the same space as a pair of tanks, yet give you significantly more diving time without the hassles of re-filling tanks.  Just a point to think about.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Frank

I see
'hookah' unit posted....are they what was sold in the 'head shops' in the early 70's??   

CapnK

Quote from: Frank on November 07, 2006, 08:52:22 AM
I see
'hookah' unit posted....are they what was sold in the 'head shops' in the early 70's??   

Frank - The 70's hookahs were to get "high", while the hookahs referred here are to do just the opposite. :D ;) (Oh, PS - Judy sounds like a 'keeper'. ;D)

It's not 12V stuff, but guys here in my marina use a small oil-less air compressor from Lowes/HomeDepot, rigged to scuba gear, as a much-cheaper hookah than the purpose-built ones. I understand it is VERY important that it be an *oil-less* compressor. :)

One disadvantage of an onboard hookah is depth/range, I'd imagine...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

Quote from: CapnK on November 07, 2006, 09:13:12 AM
Quote from: Frank on November 07, 2006, 08:52:22 AM
I see

Frank - The 70's hookahs were to get "high", while the hookahs referred here are to do just the opposite. :D ;) (Oh, PS - Judy sounds like a 'keeper'. ;D)

It's not 12V stuff, but guys here in my marina use a small oil-less air compressor from Lowes/HomeDepot, rigged to scuba gear, as a much-cheaper hookah than the purpose-built ones. I understand it is VERY important that it be an *oil-less* compressor. :)

One disadvantage of an onboard hookah is depth/range, I'd imagine...

Ohhh, I was wondering about that  ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Joe Pyrat

Frank, same idea, different input.   ::)

AdriftAtSea, that was why I was considering one so I wouldn't have to worry about topping off the tanks.  A small electric hookah would be great for bottom maintenance.  Guess I should start looking around.  One of these and one tank might be just the ticket.  :)

CapnK, the small hookahs I have seen are good for about 20 ft, which would be great for bottom cleaning, which is what I had in mind.  I'd probably need a tank too for anchor checking, but the advantage of the hookah is you never run out of air, well at least until your batteries die.  ;)

Faith, that's interesting.  We had to do all kinds of stuff, even rescuing your buddy and bringing him in through the surf.  Ah, but it was fun...  :D  But thinking about it, really probably not necessary. 
Joe Pyrat

Frank

As promised...(cheap disposable underwater camera)...remember I did not take these...Judy did ...I'm not crazy 

Frank

Frank

Pixie Dust

Back in my power boating days I would go diving and spear fishing about every weekend.  I still have all my stuff and my boys use it on occassion.  I have been trying to figure our how to get it on board PD for my trip.  When I painted her bottom, I probably should have raised the water line.  :)
I loved diving and have every intention of burning some air while in the Bahamas.  I have been considering a hookah.  Then I could connect it to the tank either on board or in the dinghy and dive using it.  I found a shortie wet suit in Ft. Lauderdale last week and got it for $25 at the Sailorman.  I think I have a cubby hole I can fit it all in.  I will be glad I have it when it comes time to clean the bottom or cut off crab lines. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Yes, a scuba rig and wetsuit will come in handy.  I certainly wish I had a wetsuit and at least a mask as I had to dive on a friend's prop just before I went in the hospital.  Somehow, his friend's 9 year old son had managed to wrap a single line around both prop shafts.  UGH...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Frank

Here's a couple of cool pics I took while diving a shallow wreck at Manjack Cay,Abacos.(the sharks were at Walkers Cay).Judy swam right by the ray..not seeing it in the sand.They settle to the bottom and 'flutter' to have the bottom silt settle on top of them as camouflage.No 'stinger' on this ray.