News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Shore Power

Started by Cmdr Pete, November 20, 2006, 09:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr Pete

I don't have 110V power on my boat, and I don't really need it, since my dock doesn't have shore power.

But, sometimes I'll travel to a marina with shore power. Might be nice to take advantage of it.

What do you think about an adapter like this one? Costs $52

http://www.hubbell-marine.com/whatsnew.htm

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

CharlieJ

An excellent idea. We use a small adapter almost like that to plug in an extension cord the rare times we use 115VAC aboard, which ISN'T often. Only when we are in the dock and doing some work on the boat using power tools.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norm

Thanks for the link.  I had a similar device in the past and found it very useful, more practical than a big yellow cord.  Cheaper, too. 

The big yellow cord reminds me too much of being shackled to the shore!
Tx
Norman
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264

Cmdr Pete

I was a bit off on the price. Cheapest I found was $65

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Hubbell+Adapter+HBL105GF+15A.html

Amazing how prices vary. I found everything between $65 and $120.

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

s/v Faith

The decision about shore power seems to me to be more about the anticipated current draw then any other factor.

If you figure that the good old extension cord method (the one I subscribe to) is only good for about 15A max, you are pretty limited.  The small boat Sailor should not have much of a problem with this.

My biggest loads are heat (10A) max, and the carry on AC (also 10A).  They draw a bit more at start up, but not too much more.

The other loads are things I can switch off and on around the others (drill, sander, etc).

Then there are the minor loads like my little battery charger (2.5A charge, more like 3.5A draw), laptop charger, and other very small loads.

If I had a complicated set of loads, like a microwave, big battery charger, fresh water pump, etc, I would probably move up to an installed 30A service.

I really don't want to allow my connection to shore to be as hard as a 30A connection would make it.  I am sure I would use a microwave if I had one installed, as I would refrigeration, and probably even a garbage disposal....  ;D

But..... it is a boat, not a condo.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

I do have shore power on my boat.  The main thing I find it useful for is to run the refrigerator unit while I'm away from the boat.  I leave everything but the refrigerator off.  When I'm at the boat, I usually power up the AC battery charger, but that isn't all that necessary from what I've seen.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

I would actually like to get away from it entirely.  At least for daily use (not counting thingslike power tools).

The solar panel could easily replace the battery charger's input.  The heating and ac.... well, the heat I could probably do away with, and just use the kerosene heater when I am aboard / underway.  The ac is only run about 10 nights a year when I am either on the boat at the dock and it is unbearable, or on a trip where I know I can access cheap shore power.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Actually, when I'm at anchor, not in my slip, I can leave my amas out and deploy my solar panels.  The solar panels can power the refrigerator and the rest of the boat for almost an indefinite period of time, provided I have enough sunlight.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on November 20, 2006, 09:35:53 PM

provided I have enough sunlight.

That brings up a bigger question: a lot of folks think "tropical" when they hear or plan for cruising.  Who else besides me is "open to" (meaning DESIRES..hehe) high latitude sailing? 

The question is not simply 'enough sunlight' but 'enough DIRECT sunlight.'  Most panels do lose efficiency rapidly when the incident angle decreases.  I think most engineering estimates use five hours of usable sunlight - in ideal, no cloud tropical latitude conditions.

What happens to those numbers when one gets above, say 45-50 degrees latitude?

The up side is that in those conditions, refrigeration is less necessary!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I've found that the panels actually produce more electricity than I can use at times... One panel, in the middle of the day is producing about 14 amps at 19 volts or so.  Even in the shade on a sunny day, I get juice off the panels... When I was first installing them, back in April or so, I noticed I was getting about .1 amp off of them in the shade at around 9 AM....

I'd rather sail in the temperate latitudes... don't like the heat enough to go to the tropics....don't like icebergs enough to go high-latitudes.. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran