Engine Problems: How to pump out old thick oil?

Started by Skipper Dave, December 27, 2005, 01:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipper Dave

Unbeknownest to me my Universal M-18 developed an oil leak,
ran dry and the engine stopped.  When I got her back in the slip I added oil and she started up.  The only thing now is when I start her she puffs white smoke for about 15 seconds.  Other than that she runs great and sounds great.  I know it is oil but my question is: is there anything I can do short of overhall to lessen or remedy the problem?

-------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

CapnK

Dave -

I'm not certain of this, and my diesel book by Nigel Calder went with the boat that I bought it for, but I think like you do - the white smoke you are seeing is oil burning off at the start. My guess would be from scored pistons allowing a bit of oil into the cylinders. Since the engine is running fine other than that, what I would do is fix that leak, keep a *sharp* eye on oil consumption, start using a synthetic oil, and keep on using the engine. If you are lucky, the damage was minimal, and the only price you'll pay is a bit less time until the next rebuild, and increased oil costs in the meanwhile.

The reason for using synthetics is that I know a guy who sold OTR diesel cabs for 20+ years, and he said he saw engine life more than double for the owners who switched to synthetic oils in their engines and gearboxes.

Good luck! I loved my Universal M2-12, it was a great little engine. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Does X1R and Marvel Mystery Oil work on diesel engines?  Sometimes, if the scores are small, those types of products can help (on cars, anyway).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Skipper Dave

Thanks for the info.  I am going to try the Mystery Marvel Oil.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm thinking (hoping) it didn't do too much damage.  I have corrected the leak and will still be checking the oil level much more often.

-----------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Paulus

The damage is direct proportional to the amount of violence with which it stopped.... If the bearings ceased and stopped the engine, then you're running her (it) into the ground as you keep going. If the piston rings ceased the engine, there will be severe scouring marks on the piston walls and the scrape ring will no longer do and efficient job, leaving too much oil on the cylinder walls - burning/consuming it while underway - but worse - products of combustion (read: carbon and sulfur) will blow into the crankcase as well, causing excessive heat for the oil to be removed and cooled by the oil cooler, plus the oil will degrade much faster, losing its lubricating characteristics prematurely. So while you may be adding oil, that what is left in the crankcase really needs to be replaced...

On the other hand, if it stopped because of some safety sensor/alarm/gizmo, damage should be minimal.

White smoke usually occurs when there is not enough temperature to burn the fuel. The unburned fuel particles are then exhausted usually accompanied by a rich fuel smell. In cold weather it is not uncommon to get white smoke until engine temperature builds up. Low engine cranking speed can also create an excessive amount of white smoke.

If the problem persists after the engine is up to operating temperature several other things should be checked. A faulty injector can cause white smoke. Timing is often a factor when white smoke is excessive. Low engine compression (bad rings) can cause the problem and the injection pump can also have problems that result in white smoke. Air in the fuel system can also result in white smoke.

Lastly steam cause by a head gasket or other water leak into the combustion system can disguise itself as smoke.  Steam will dissipate rapidly being once it hits lower temperature ambient air while smoke will persist and hand in the air.

Blue smoke is a sign of lubricating oil being burned by your engine. If you have blue smoke mainly at start up and it is very minor while running, this points to worn valve guides.  When the engine sits for a bit (over night etc), oil left in the head after running can seep down into the combustion chamber.  Upon start the bulk of it is burned quickly. 

If you see blue smoke all the time when running, odds are you have a problem with rings or cylinders or both.  All though sometimes a little solvent in the cylinders left overnight may free rings stuck up with carbon, usually, you will have to pull the engine and rebuild it to get things back to normal.

My $.02

CapnK

I stand corrected. :)

Thanks for the highly informative post, Paulus!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

The Edge

Paulus,

Welcome Aboard.  This site is soooo refreshing.  I'm flying down to Utila, Honduras, on Jan 4th.  Tony P said I could use his 37' Santana.  He can't go do to back injuries.  I'll be gone at least a month.  If I like it, I may trailer The Edge to Mexico and sail her there next year.  Did you take yours to the Western Caribbean last month?
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Paulus

No, I didn't - I was tempted to trailer to the Florida Keys this month, but work got in the way (sigh). Great to have a trailerable though, eh?

The Edge

Paulus,

I keep my truck topped off with fuel and could pull outta here on a moment's notice.  It takes a lot of discipline not to do it.  It's a great feeling to know I can.  MAYBE, MAYBE NOT :o  I just saw the weather forecast for the PNW and California :-\

Westsailor said he saw a Mac at the pier in Rio Dulce last week.  There are several little tributaries that we could poke into there.  Maybe next year.
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

AllAboutMe

Okay all you diesel mechanics!!!
I have a Yanmar single cylinder diesel inboard on a CS27 that I recently acquired. I want to test run the engine while it's on the hard. I'm charging a battery, I've checked for compression, (it has it) checked for fuel flow and injector operation. (has fuel,injector sprays a good pattern) I have a water supply,(non pressure) I've checked the oil, and it's heavy, with a thick glop on the dip stick. The boat has been sitting on the hard for three years, so that doesn't surprise me.I don't see any water in the oil,but I want to change the oil before starting the engine.
The engine has no oil pan, so no lower oil drain plug. Fill and drain is from the top. I'm afraid the oil is too thick to pump it out cold.
So, how do I pump this thick oil out, without warming it up? Or, conversely, how can I warm it up without starting the engine?  Or should I go ahead and  start it, if it will , warm the oil, change it and be done with it?
Any suggestions?
Larry W.

s/v Faith

Not a certified deisel mech, but owned a couple (and been pulling wrenches for about 25 years).

Here is what I would do.  Would not start it with the old oil.

Pump all you can from the sump.  Then fill with deisel, and pump that.

Seals in a deisel are compable with diesel, so the little bit that will be left will be ok.

Fill with clean (diesel rated) oil.  Turn it over, but know that you will have to bleed it if it has not been run in a while (or was stored without diesel).

Change that oil after it has run for a bit (no  more then 15 min). 

That is what I would do.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AllAboutMe

I'll try your suggestion. Like you said, it's a diesel and diesel fuel shouldn't hurt it. I have fuel pressure, thankfully it has an electric fuel pump, and a return/bypass valve so it self bleeds. I pulled the injector and it has a good spray pattern. Once the fresh oil is in, I'll spin it and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Larry W.

Fortis

I concurrr with the above advise.

The little 12volt oil sucker pumps are brilliant!

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

Don't forget to turn the used oil/diesel mix in for recycling or proper disposal.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 22, 2006, 11:06:43 PM
Don't forget to turn the used oil/diesel mix in for recycling or proper disposal.

..... as opposed to.....  ???

Pouring it on your corn flakes?

;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: s/v Faith on August 29, 2006, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 22, 2006, 11:06:43 PM

..... as opposed to.....  ???

Pouring it on your corn flakes?

;D

Unfortunately, some people think it is okay to just throw used motor oil down the nearest sewer or into the garbage...   If you like it on your corn flakes, more power to ya... I personally like  a good canola oil on my cereal as I don't like the flavor burnt motor oil has.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

krissteyn

My 2c worth - Make sure the deisel you use is as warm as you can get it - ie taken from a black container that has been in the sun for a while : the hotter the better...

Gerald A. Gotts

First , let me make myself perfectly clear...I am no mechanic diesel or otherwise.  I have recently purchased at a very good price a Bristol 27 with a Yanmar diesel  inboard.  I was told by the previous owner that it got wet.  I understand it was not under water but water did come up on the block some.  This was in July of 2008.  It was in freshwater also, which I'm sure is a plus.  I  have just gotten the boat and have not touched the engine yet.  What should I do ?  I have been told by others at the marina (probably much more knowledgable than I )  that it should be fine.  I'm told you can't kill a Yanmar !  In so many words.  It appears to have 2 (injectors? ) on the top.     

HELP......................Jerry

P.S.  I like the sound of a 12 volt pump
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

chris2998

I'd have the agree with Paulus that sounds about right. I was thinking more of a gas burner, don't know much about diesels but that sounds about right