News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising Seems Like Hard Work

Started by Cmdr Pete, November 20, 2006, 02:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr Pete

First you have to learn the skills involved to repair and improve your boat.

Actually fixing up the boat is incredibly time consuming.

You need to learn navigation and seamanship.

Trip planning takes a whole lot of research.

You end up leaving on a boat that is unfinished, perhaps ill-equipped and "unsuitable."

You don't have enough experience or knowledge. You leave with nagging doubts and fears.

Then the hard work really begins.

Am I missing something?
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Captain Smollett

For every task described by "hard work," there is a proportional reward.  Some include:

• Self reliance in knowing YOU can maintain your boat
  • Development of marketable skills (glasswork, woodworking, navigation, etc)
  • A boat with which you feel a spiritual connection; it's not just a possession, it is part of who you are.  As I like to say, it becomes not so much 'a boat' but a vessel.
  • Confidence in the system to handle stressful situations; see Norm's recent descriptions of offshore work in a boat believed by many to be a "truer" blue water boat than those favored here on sailfar.  Sorry, but I could never have the confidence in a boat I just bought and started cruising in no matter what the salesman says.

I'm sure others can add to this list.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

???

The alternative......

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Norm

Cruising was recently described to me by a guy who obviously hadn't been off the dock in years:  "boat repair in exotic locations."

As I sit here at my desk surrounded by charts, spread sheets, catalogues... I think we make it too complicated.

There is a rule of economics that one gets more of what one makes efficient.  The story (abreviated) is that we've made auto fuel consumption more efficient and instead of driving less we drive more.  The PC was supposed to free us from the drudgery of office work and... come on guys, I don't have to complete that line!

I think about how to make the business of going cruising and staying cruising more efficient.  Simplification seems the answer.  How to simplify and what to simplify seems the problem.

I await the collective wisdom of Team Sailfar....

Norm

that is one ugly picture Faith.  Really... there may be sensitive souls reading. 
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264

s/v Faith

Quote from: Norm on November 20, 2006, 03:05:04 PM
Cruising was recently described to me by a guy who obviously hadn't been off the dock in years:  "boat repair in exotic locations."

Sounds like these guys.

Quotethat is one ugly picture Faith.  Really... there may be sensitive souls reading. 

Reality therapy.   ;D

Joe Pyrat

Quote from: Norm on November 20, 2006, 03:05:04 PM

Actually, that's a pretty good description of cruising. :)  I've got a buddy who has been "out there" for about ten years now.  He started complaining about having to fix his deck.  I think he was on Isla Margarita at the time.  I, on the other hand, was working on my boat in New Mexico in the winter, so I had little sympathy for him.  Another guy wrote in saying about the same thing, only he was knee deep in snow, working on his boat.  My friend wrote back that he wasn't getting much sympathy so he was just going to shut up.  :D

There is also a bit of wisdom that says, if you wait for every last boat project to be completed you will never leave.  This was recently reinforced for me when one of the guys in the boatyard who had been working on his boat for a couple of years and planning his escape died of an unexpected heart attack. 

Plan less, sail more and improvise.  Although pouring over charts and planning routes is actually a lot of fun.  ;)
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

CapnK

LOL, C'pete. :D We *all* have to work at something. Even Bill Gates, or whoever the current richest dude is...

I'd rather work at cruising/on my cruise, than have to work just to pay the bills for 'stuff' like most good consumerist slaves do, ***any day***...  ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

Oh Faith..... :P   That was a sad site for this gal's eyes.    Sad....but often it is a shot at reality.    I think I would sell the couch....with him on it.   :D
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

s/v Faith

Quote from: Pixie Dust on November 22, 2006, 11:42:02 PM
......I think I would sell the couch....with him on it.   :D

At least then you would not have to move it. (probably sounds pretty good to you right about now).   ;D

MOVING.. now THAT is hard work!

Pixie Dust

At least then you would not have to move it. (probably sounds pretty good to you right about now).   ;D
MOVING.. now THAT is hard work!

LOL Craig!!  Speaking of which, my couch is for sale as well as a lot of other household items. 
Now that I have semi recovered from too much Thanksgiving feasting and pie eating, I am heading back to the boxing up of Landlubber items.   :D ;D

(edit by Captain Smollet: fixed quote tag)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Norm

Ashore... after two and a half years aboard... suddenly life is full of stuff.  Seems only yesterday that my world was packed away into two sea bags and a toolbox.

Is cruising really all that more challenging than a house with property?  At my sister's home in NC for the holiday, pasture land complete with horses, I'd say... "give me the boat to take care of..."

My list of "things to do" aboard MELISSA before May is growing.  maybe being tied to the dock in Boston this winter will be a good thing?  In any event, I won't be looking like a couch potato come Spring.   

I'd like to toast our shared "struggle" with our boats.

Best to all, Norman
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, it is far easier to gather possessions than it is to strip them back down to the minimum necessary for sailing on a small boat.  In many ways, especially with an older house like my sister's, living on land is at least as much work as living aboard a smaill sailboat. 

I'd second the toast to our shared challenges and messing about in boats.

Hope you have all had a good Thanksgiving holiday.  Don't let the shopping drive you nuts.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more