Hurricane discussion; Red flags are flying!

Started by starcrest, February 24, 2006, 04:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I and my family concur with what Cap'n K says, good luck!  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

jotruk

I know that these storms can be rough. I have been through several both ashore and at sea. The best that can happen is that you have good pryor preperation and a little bit of luck, I lift a grog to you and hope that you have fair winds and following seas real soon, Danny
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

CharlieJ

Well, looks like we in Port Lavaca dodged a bullet. Strongest winds at the POC jetties were 38, gusting 45 at midnight. Tapered steadily after that. Now blowing 18,, gusting 23.  But I'd do it again EVERYTIME rather than chance it.

Galveston and points east are still getting HAMMERED.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Good to hear you're okay charlie.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pappy Jack

Charlie,

Glad to hear that you guys made it. You had us worried...very worried.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Shipscarver

The clean up is no fun. But, being safe is what counts. Take care.
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

CapnK

Saw this YouTube video posted @ wunderground. Look in the upper left corner, there are boats up there. You can see some masts making crazy arcs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8iqLcGN3Go
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Lynx

There is still a lot of people without power, running water.

Sun's out.
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

We be home and all is ok. All fine here. Tomorrow we'll try to get Tehani back to her slip IF the winds let us. Really hard to transfer that 85 pound engine from the inflatable to the big boat in waves.

There are over a million people still without power and many without water. Can't call my mom or sister in Houston as the cell service AND land telephone is out. DId talk to my cousin on the north side of Houston- he just got water back, but still no power.

Will have  to drive to our farm north of Houston next week since the eye went right over it as a cat 1. Really amazing only 3 confirmed dead from it in Texas  (so far)

East of Houston also really got blasted- over into Louisiana- this was a MASSIVE STORM.

And oh boy are we wiped out!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

;D

Great to hear all is well with you guys and that Tehani is safe.  Amazing what a difference there is between the 'dirty' side of a storm and the back side.  When Ivan hit Pensacola the storm surge in Pensacola bay lifted the I-10 bridge spans off and deposited them into Escambia bay (45' off the water).

Mobile, which was on the back side of the storm had some flooding and some trees down.

No power is no fun, but I bet it is a little easier on most of the SailFar crowd then the public in general.  We were 27 days without it after Ivan, swinging a chain saw all day long every day....  :P  Man I don't envy you for having to do the clean up, but it could have been worse.. much worse.

I hope the area recovers quickly, and that the death count stays low.

Thanks for the update CJ.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Thought of you 2 often in the last few days....relieved  things turned as as well as they did CJ. Hope the clean up is easy.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Tehani is back in her slip, dirty but unscratched.

We on the other hand are totally pooped. :D

I wish the same could be said for folks between Surfside and Port Arthur and into Louisiana. Unfortunately there will be many many months of work recovering over there.

It was begining to look like we were gonna get what they did and only a small right curve took it away from us. We are VERY fortunate.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ronc98

I am sure it was nothing like what you guys in the couth got but the ohio valley got a bit of Ike yesterday.  As the front came through the east side of the front produced 50 substained with 75 gusts. 

I can not imagine 75 and above substained  It blew trees down here all over the place.  You guys in the south must have some tough trees.

Steve H

Hi everybody ,     my boat was in kemah but survived .   legend point marina is a great hurricane hole .
I went yesterday to check and i have some pictures .
i will try to post .     lots of nice boats did not make it
1978 c&c 29   kemah texas

Steve H

gallery seems to be off line ,  and i dont know how to post pictures from here.

Steve H

test, new computer with vista

Steve H

sorry but i can only post 1 at a time . i will try the gallery

s/v Faith

Steve,

Really glad your boat came through alright.  I am sorry that the gallery is not working right now, maybe you could post your pictures someplace like photobucket.com/, or www.flickr.com/?

Here is a link to some pictures that Kendall posted on the PearsonAriel.org owners forum.  166 shots, and lots of heartbreak.  :-[

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Steve H

hi thanks for the link , most of my pictures are the same .   a lot of those last ones are at watergate marina ,where we moved our boat from in august .
kind of strange we are next door to watergate and didnt have near the damage they got .
I dont think it matters how well you tie your boat , your either lucky or not .
of course if you dont tie it your just stupid .

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club