Hoop cheese, & other foods that do not require refrigeration

Started by s/v Faith, January 14, 2006, 11:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Hoop cheese

Many cheeses will last without refrigeration (like many foods found in the fridge).  I came across a new one tonight called 'Hoop Cheese'.  It is a Mild Cheddar, I bough it at Food Lion.  It does not require refrigeration, even after it is opened. 

I like the taste, it is good for a mild cheddar, does not have an overly processed taste.

What other foods do you use that do not require refrigeration(but are usually found in the refigerator)?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Thought of another one;

Eggs, some dip them in veggie oil (or wax, or even vasoline) to seal the shells so they last longer... fresh eggs are best.  I use the 'float test' to se if they ahve gone bad.  Drop them in fresh water, if they float, they are bad.  If they sink, they are ok.

hearsejr

hoop cheese is available every where here. I'll love the stuff, but be careful it'll stop you up if you eat too much..lol.
Bill

Zen

::)

Ok, you guys will most likely not run/sail down to your local market in droves for this, but... good greens, dried seaweed, there are several styles.

How's this, fresh caught fish, rice, seaweed... Fresh sushi or cooked...

ok ok , yeah I past weird a long time ago, you guys still have to catch up  ;D

although Starcrest is in my rear view mirror   ;D ;D ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

starcrest

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I AM SO WEIRD ...MAYBE I SHOT TOO MANY X RAYS...
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Coastal Cruiser

Actually as a child, back when refrigeration was a real luxuary, we also dried fish with the salt method, using what is locally known as mullet buckets, made of wood. Even pork was done that way. The pickling of many products, or types of beef jerky is made, when in season [killing season that is] is still done around my place, and was taken along on our camping trips, and extended journeys in the summertime in the camper. I guess few folks understand that this was a norm way back when, without so many modern conveniences.

When you travel throughout the islands, you will also find folks drying conch on the clothes lines for storage easier longterm storage.

We still can preserves and use the rubbery material for non-slip surfaces, wrapping it around the jars and duct taping them, to protect it from breakage while underway.

Cheese, on a boat, has not been my favorite, as the limited mobility during the day and the natural tendancy for cheese to become lodged to tightly,  ;) makes me ration it for sure. But then again, a good bottle of wine offsets that too.  ;D

Kailyst

Quote from: Zen on January 15, 2006, 02:52:05 AM
::)

Ok, you guys will most likely not run/sail down to your local market in droves for this, but... good greens, dried seaweed, there are several styles.

How's this, fresh caught fish, rice, seaweed... Fresh sushi or cooked...
Even though I prefer shashimi, add some warm sake and you'll have me as a guest for dinner!  ;D I'll bring dessert???   :D
We're all here because we're not all there.

LauraG

I think they are a Bumble Bee product. I tried the lemon pepper seasoned ones and they were decent. They are about $2 a piece but make a pretty nice meal with mashed potatoes and asparagus.  So far the only place I have found them available is my local HEB grocery store. Surely someone else carries them.

Your mileage may vary. I'm not a very good cook.  :)

starcrest

the ones I got were free.and I  was never more than 5 miles from the bottom when I took them from da wahwah.the neatest thing however when I got one along side the boat ......there was another one rite beside it.ten minutes later....with the enzymes still on fire ......I foil packed the fillets and used whatever spices I had on board."fish bombs" as I called it......and like I said b4.....ya never really tasted fish until it was taken from da wahwah  ten minutes ago.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

LauraG

Oh yeah. Fresh fish is the best. A little butter and Tony's in the skillet with a speckled trout ten minutes out of the water is to die for.  :) We travelled the ICW through 5 states on our last trip. We didn't even take a fishing rod with us because we didn't want to be tempted to fish without a license in one of those states. Shoot, except for the weekends we hardly saw a soul other than a tow and a barge.  >:(

Just peg me as an outlaw. I'm never leaving without my fishing rod again.

starcrest

fish dont know if you use a rod or not.you can use a hand line and no one will know the difference.on my last trip I used a rod  and a hand line.I had a pink scami lure that I dragged  across the ocean for weeks with no results.then one day..... it was gone.

Adam

don't forget corn tortillas... just put them right on the burner for a few seconds, then  you fill them with whatever you have.... ALWAYS delicious.

starcrest

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT DUH heck HOOP CHEEZE IZ? I HOIDA "HOOPLA" AND DATZ ABOUT IT

Dougcan

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoop_cheese)

Hoop Cheese is a firm, dry cottage cheese, similar to farmer's cheese in that most of the liquid has been pressed out. It is different from farmer's cheese in that farmer's cheese is made with milk, cream and salt, while hoop cheese is made from milk alone.

Hoop cheese is difficult to find commercially in the United States, due to the difficulty of automating the manufacturing process. It was once so popular, however, that a device called a hoop cheese cutter was manufactured and used in general stores during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This object resembled a turntable with a knife blade suspended above it. It was built by scale companies of the period to cut the exact amount of cheese the customer wanted.

starcrest

thanx for the info.that weblink to the hoopcheeze cutter reminds me of the old ww2 sextant I used

s/v Faith

Bear Creek soup

I usually look for foods at the store that will be easy to store and prepare underway.  Well, I found a really good soup mix.

I don't like most soup mixes, because they are usually pretty weak. These are thick, and rich.  I looked them up online, and found that they are marketed as hiking/backpacking fare since they are dehydrated. 

I paid $3.98 a pack, for a package that makes 8 servings (4 if you are hungry).  They are 'just add water' mixes so no milk or anything else is needed.

I tried the Bear Creek Potato soup, and it was the best potato soup I have ever eaten.   No kidding.  ;D

Tonight I had the tortilla, and it was excellent also.

I purchased them at my local 'Food Lion', if you don't have one of those nearby you can contact them on their web site.

www.bearcreekfoods.com

on edit: just saw that you can order direct from them at $4.00 ea

Here is a place to order it at Amazon (put it is 4.99 there)

::) I have no affiliation with Bear Creek foods other then the belly full of tortilla soup I have right now...

starcrest

that reminds me of oatmeal.after 25 days on that schooner the  mainfair was  quaker oats,and I took a vow never to eat oatmeal again.I think 25 days of oat meal is worse than 1000 days of alfalfa sprouts.any way with storm season around the corner can any one tell me where I canget several million MRE's? I have never had them but I have seen and heard all about them.I would like to keep  a large supply....not quite 1000 days worth....but you get the idea.once again dont all answer at once.as per the soup mix,remember that these require water added.after my experience on  the ariel,you should have no problem proisioning your boat for a 4-6 month trip if you are single handed.cut that in half for two people.I  still feel that dollar for dollar canned soup is the best bet. non  condensed types need no water added,and that is a big concern for the small boat voyager.I will swear  by the walmart great value type soups,and a large variety is available.to this day I still  eat these soups regularly......and once  again ...you can try this at home,,,,,go w/o food for 3 days......(not water....food) and see what happens.what once seemed bland will then seem like a delicacy.......I will never forget not being able to eat for  5 days......"I remember that meat as a feast".........one other source of information is a book called"sailing the farm" I forgot who it is by but it was all about...that beansprout chia boat thing....and other related information.

s/v Faith

Quoteany way with storm season around the corner can any one tell me where I canget several million MRE's? I have never had them but I have seen and heard all about them.I would like to keep  a large supply....not quite 1000 days worth....but you get the idea.once again don't all answer at once

Yea, sure.  Just wait till a named storm comes through, and FEMA shows up with truckloads of them......  ;D

After Ivan, I lived off of them for a month.  Over 200 timber trees down on the property, no way in or out (other then foot) and no power for over a month.... they were a Godsend.

Now, as for getting them in advance..... the label on the box says 'not for commercial sale' and 'not for resale' so you might have some trouble with that......  :o

(on edit: There are about a million of them on sale on E-Bay.... many from the gulf coast.....)  :(

CapnK

Tonight I drank some "Parmalat", it's milk in a box that can be stored for several months at room temps. Tasted just like normal milk - its not condensed or anything, I think just extra pasturized and packed in an aseptic container. Pretty good stuff!

I found it at Food Lion supermarket (by the cooking oils..... ?), but have been told that WalMart sells it also. This would be good stuff to keep handy during 'cane season! Store it next to the vodka and kahlua, for emergency White Russians. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Parmalat absolutely, makes the BEST cappuccinos that you can get.

Makes a perfect head of foam, and thickens up nicely.  Hands down, no contest.... the best.   ;D

Interesting that you found it at 'Food Lion', home to the Hoop Cheese I like....  ;)