Hoop cheese, & other foods that do not require refrigeration

Started by s/v Faith, January 14, 2006, 11:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Seadogg on July 13, 2006, 03:13:49 PM
I fill up milk jugs with water and freeze them.

Works pretty well and you have ice water to drink to boot.

That's what we do, too.  We also use 1 L bottles for smaller chunks that go in the cooler.  It is amazing how long one of these will last in 90+ degree SC summers.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

The other thing that I like to freeze, especially on my summer fishing trips and hikes, is gatorade.  You'd be surprised at how solid and cold a bottle of frozen gatorade can get... Takes a bit longer to thaw out, as the liquid freezes at a lower temperature than regular water from what I have seen. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Block ice is really the best. The clearer the better. If the ice looks like a block of glass, where you can see through it, it's far better than the compressed stuff- that ain't worth a flip- not even as good as cubes.

And yes, we held a part of a block for 13 days. We did add a bag or two of cubes along the way, just for cooling drinks.  Of course, those only lasted maybe two days, so the block did most of the cooling. Our ice chest has a minimum of 3 1/2 inches of foam on all sides and an extra 3/4 inch on the side next to the cockpit. The lid is two piece and also has 3 1/2 inches of foam.  Normally we only open the smaller lid to access things. Many ice chest fall down badly in  insulating the lid. It's just as important as the rest. We also have some quilted type construction mylar insulation that we lay over the top of the ice inside the cooler. We keep things like candy bars and cheese on top of that- things you want to just be "not hot"-

The ice sits on a shelf that is raised off the bottom just enough so canned drinks will fit under. The ice never sits in melt water that way.

Not easy to find block ice anymore, at least along the gulf coast. P'cola had a good ice house but it's closed. We found good block ice in Pascagoula, Miss, but it wasn't close to where we anchored. Also found it at the one open marina in Biloxi. Otherwise, no joy.

Here, we freeze a rubbermaid dishpan block- that's about a 15 or 16 pound block. We also freeze jugs with water, for drinking. On weekend trips we freeze jugs of tea too.

I should point out that we seldom use the cooler to keep food cold. Usually only for drinks. We seldom carry food that requires cooling, except for on short weekend trips. We also know how much to fix so there are no or little leftovers.

The gator ade is a good idea- have to try that.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

The one thing you do have to do with the gatorade bottles is to drain off a tiny bit, otherwise the bottles can leak, as the gatorade expands, as does all water-based ice, when it freezes.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 13, 2006, 07:04:43 PM
Our ice chest has a minimum of 3 1/2 inches of foam on all sides and an extra 3/4 inch on the side next to the cockpit. The lid is two piece and also has 3 1/2 inches of foam.  ...  We also have some quilted type construction mylar insulation

I meant to ask about this: if I put 3.5 inches of insulation around my existing ice box, there would be no (or very little) room left, especially after some block ice is added (it is way too small, I know).  Is there a higher R rated insulation, so I can get similar insulation while taking up less space?

I'm also thinking about making the box bigger; is your box made of wood?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

our box was a bare fiberglass shell that was let into the counter top. It had no room for insulation either so we cut the thing out, rebuilt the counter to give more room and reinstalled the box further away from the rear bulkhead. All our foam is on the outside.. The top, as originally built, was simply a sheet of 1/2 plywood, which is totally inadequate.

I have some pics but they aren't available right now- maybe tomorrow I can post some.

Building a box from fiberglassed plywood is a very viable way to do it by the way.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Quote from: Captain Smollett on July 13, 2006, 08:02:25 PM...Is there a higher R rated insulation, so I can get similar insulation while taking up less space?

John - I don't know if you have tried it or not, but a radiant heat barrier is very thin, yet makes a big difference. One common such barrier is called "Reflectix", IIRC it can be purchased at big-box hardware stores, it is basically bubble-wrap bonded to mylar. Simple mylar 'space blanket' material will work as a radiant barrier, if you can't find Reflectix.

I have some radiant barrier that I got from an outfit in Alabama, designed for and used on the space shuttles. It is basically thin aluminum bonded to a woven PE backing sheet for strength/durability, and it has a really high R value for its thickness (it's like construction paper-thick). I beefed up a wheeled cooler that I have by cutting 1" thick pink foam slabs to line the interior, and then put the radiant barrier on the outside of that layer of foam. It was like having a different cooler afterwards, without losing too much internal space. Ice lasted at least twice as long after this modification, so you might want to try something like that. It's not CJ's whopping 3.5", but it will help. :)

Also, like CJnL do, use radiant barrier directly on top of the cooler/box contents, to act as a "seal" of sorts, helping to hold in cold air when the box is opened. I've been doing that for several years, it makes a surprisingly big improvement. :)

Last - my favorite 'made-ice containers': Ocean Spray used to sell some of their juice products in rectangularish, thick plastic bottles, and may still do so. These work really well as ice blocks, the shape is efficient when packing a cooler/box. The plastic is as thick/tough as any other retail bottle material I have seen.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

;D ;D ;D

The mental image of Craig standing there, holding a blob of runny, melted cheese, looking for a refund, and demanding an explanation from the manager - L M A O!

;D ;D ;D

Still cracks me up.  :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

CapnK-

Quite  a few companies now sell juice in the 1/2 gallon size in a rectangular bottle, rather than a round one.  I have bottles from about five different brands that I re-fill from a Brita water pitcher for making block  ice.  :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Fortis

Incidentaly, the difference between clear ice that lasts and cloudy ice that doesn't is a constant vobrating action during freezing that forces out air bubbles as the water freezes.

So if you want to make your own long-lasting clear iceblocks....it is simple.

You need something that vibrates...the obvious conclusion is likely to lack the sort of power to effect 20lt of water..unless you are especially kinky. I find that a small ultra-cheap sheet sander works a treat. The sander plate is bolted to a the centre of a plywood sheet that fits the freezer shelf. The uncapped bottles of water are placed in and the power is switched on (If you fabricate one of the side by side electrical cords into an extension cable then the freezer seal still works. The round cords is asking too much.
The little sander vibrates merrily without danger of burning out (because it is in a freezer!) and several hours later you have perfectly clear iceblocks.

Haven't needed to do it this way for a while, but still have the rig and occassionaly contribute "perfect ice" to a friend that likes playing with ice sculpting.

Just a thought.

Alex.

Frank

On the last 'trailorsailor' cruise a few weeks back, there were a few of us,myself included,trying 'iceless' for the 1st time. I gotta say...it is very freeing !! Canned and packaged foods,some fruit and veggies hanging,dried breads,powdered milk for tea and coffee,hot apple cyder mix,boxed mini juices and boxed wine.... off ya go. I did miss a cold beer at times,but it often rained so the hot drinks or red wine seemed to suit better anyway.One funny note...In Fairhaven is a wonderful local restaurant  "Margerets" ,that has great seafood but is not licensed for booze ..although they  allow you to bring in your own wine. On our last night I still had a full box of white wine to take along to dinner. Doug still had ice on his boat so he offered to chill it first. As it was the end of the cruise..most of his ice melted so the 'box' fell apart in the watery cooler. I'm here to tell ya ..it looks really funny walking into a restaurant with what appears to be a 'pee bag' as if one of us had a prostrate problem.....looked even funnier when we started drinking from it!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Hey Frank-

Margaret's has become a regular stop that me and my crew make after a return to the dock and getting the boat hosed down.  They also have a restaurant two doors over, called Eiizabeth's, which does have a liquor license.  Similar fare available there, but not exactly the same menu.  In-between the two is a place with pretty good ice cream.  :D

Dan
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

Frank,
   ;D

I have a 5l wine box bladder filled with frozen water in my cooler right now.  It stays frozen much longer, and you can drink it as it melts.  The thing I like is that it does not require the stowage space that plastic bottles do (keeping them aboard when they are empty takes much more space then empty crystal light packages.  ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Dan...I/we were totally impressed with Margarets....had scallops twice,in for breakfast too. Had icecream next door while there also. Pretty town....great sailing erea !! Gotta love a place with food and a west marine,all with in walking distance of a launch ramp!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Yes, the Baked Scallops are usually what I get at Margaret's/Elizabeth's.  I love the fact that they're actually served on a large scallop shell. :D  The ice cream is good, and the staff is usually very friendly. My marina isn't too far from there either...about a five minute drive.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

psyche

Adrift At Sea
Which Engle did you purchase? How do you like your Engle? How much power does it use in refrigerator mode and how often does it run?

AdriftAtSea

I've got the Engel M27, which is  22 qts. in size IIRC... I like it a lot, although it is a bit noisier than I like at night.  I would have gotten a slightly bigger unit, but the space requirements I have couldn't fit a larger unit.  I just spent the last week on the boat, and had food (cold cuts, milk, eggs, etc) and drinks stored away. 

It doesn't use very much power in refrigerator mode at all... on the unit, there is a dial marked 0-5 and anything past 1.5 will result in stuff freezing solid, so I generally have it at 1 or a little under.  If I don't have it in freezer mode, it doesn't run very often, once the contents are down to temp. 

Usually, to make life simpler for myself, since I do have it hooked into my shore power system [so I have cold drinks on the boat even after I've been away for a few days ;) ], I will turn it up to 4 or 5 for the night and let the big (2 qt.) bottles of Gatorade or water freeze solid, and then when I'm about to leave the dock, I turn it back down to 1.  I just used it to freeze some water for a boat that was leaving for Nova Scotia from my marina, and in eight hours or so, was able to take a 1 gallon container of water from room temp to a third frozen solid.

I can run the refrigerator, radio, instruments and lights off of the batteries and a single solar panel for a few days without having to run the engine at all.  BTW, the house bank on my boat is two T105 golfcart batteries...about 200 amp hours.  I hope that helps.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

FWIW,

Bear Creek Potato Soup, with a cut up onion added, pan fried corn bread, and HOOP cheese make a PERFECT cool weather supper on the hook.   ;D

Bubba the Pirate

I haven't left yet [plan to before April Fools Day], but stuck here in Indiana I really like those Bear Creek Soups.   S/V Faith has the right idea, while those soups are great on their own, dressing them can make them gourmet. 

I have used the Cheddar Broccoli with some hot italian bulk sausage [browned down first] and added tomatilloes, tomatoes, red peppers and even fresh broccoli on occasion.   Saute some onions and dump them in.   

Just this week I made their Chipotle Soup [I don't remember the exact name] and added some canned chicken, canned corn and grape tomatoes.   Yum Yumm!!

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s/v Faith

Quote from: sailorbum on February 10, 2007, 02:18:40 PM
I haven't left yet [plan to before April Fools Day], but stuck here in Indiana I really like those Bear Creek Soups.   S/V Faith has the right idea, while those soups are great on their own, dressing them can make them gourmet. 

I have used the Cheddar Broccoli with some hot italian bulk sausage [browned down first] and added tomatilloes, tomatoes, red peppers and even fresh broccoli on occasion.   Saute some onions and dump them in.   

Just this week I made their Chipotle Soup [I don't remember the exact name] and added some canned chicken, canned corn and grape tomatoes.   Yum Yumm!!

TrT

As I type (ok, actually between typing) I am eating their potato soup, with the canned chicken and corn added (as you suggest for the Chipotle).  Very good combination.

Grog for you mate.   ;)