News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

I think found PART of the problem

Started by Captain Smollett, September 02, 2006, 06:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

My steaming light has not worked since I've owned the boat.  I've replaced the light fixture and bulb, cleaned the contacts at the through-deck plug and checked voltages/continuity at the plug and the light fixture itself.  It still did not work.  My threory was that was just enough resistive loss in the circuit to not light the lamp, but not enough to show on my ohm meter (which is only sensitive to kilo-ohms)

So, I decided to run new wire.  Today, while stripping the old wire out, I found a splice a few inches down from where the wire went out of the mast at the light end.  The ends were soldered together, but there was no covering on the splice - just bare wire.  The exposed splice was very corroded.

I'm hoping that was the source of the problem; at the very least it could not have helped the light work reliably.  I don't know if this was a PO trick, or done at the factory.  Either way, I cannot believe somebody left a bare splice inside the mast.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I hope that wasn't the hot wire... Good thing you found it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

John -

So, for the new light, all you had to do was solder the wires to the mast.... Cool!

;D ;D ;) ;) ??? ???
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)