News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

end of a 'cruise'

Started by Frank, December 15, 2006, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

In 2003 while in the Florida Keys, I met another Canadian Couple..'Danny and Deb'. They sailed a 1964 25fter with an aft cabin. (small boat-long distance) They turned the aft cabin into a 'garage'. I spent a few evenings with them drinking rum and watching hockey games...how Canadian..in Florida (they had rigged up an antenna )Their companion in sailing was an old black lab that travelled with them. The boat was a European builder and I can't remember the make. They travelled to Cuba often and just 'LOVED' it there.They loved the people and the scenery. Both were somewhat embarassed to admit to me that this trip back to Florida was to get big bags of dog food ...I assume that's a commodity not readily available in Cuba. I was saddened to learn that Danny recently died of a heart attack.The good thing is he (they) spent the last 8-9 years 'living their dream'. I'm sure Deb will have many memories to carry her through.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

RIP, Danny, and Godspeed on the next phase of your journey.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

And another sailor reaches Fiddlers Green.

They DID have memories for her to keep. So many don't.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

A follow up. After Danny passed on, I e-mailed to say I was sorry to hear that and hoped Deb was OK. Time passed and about a year ago I e-mailed to see how Deb was doing and if she was still sailing. The e-mail was returned "no such address". I just recently heard from a Canadian cruiser that he met Deb in Varadaros and she's still on the boat,hanging around and has become quite the ambassador for Cuba. I was glad to hear she's still 'doing it'. With luck, Judy and I will be passing thru in a few years and see her again.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Chattcatdaddy

Good for her! She can now add some memories of her own. Maybe one day, we Americans will be joining the rest of the world in Cuba(long overdue).
Keith
International Man of Leisure