Computer Comms: 'Net access while cruising?

Started by CapnK, December 26, 2005, 11:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NANP

Quote from: djn on January 31, 2006, 01:56:33 PM
Hi NANP, yep I have WiFi at my slip.   I think in a couple more years, it will be available anywhere.....that is my hope at least.  Sorry for the confusion. Cheers.

That's what I'm hoping too, although I'm not quite sure what would be involved in getting signals out in the middle of the ocean . . . are transmissions "line of sight" like radio? Is a tower network needed like cell phones?  ???

I dunno.  Probably for the best if you can only get online in port anyway . . . could be distracting, lol . . .  ::)

Rockdoctor, thanks for the welcome . . . what do you teach? I have a friend with the Red Cross who travels extensively and uses the same setup your folks do, btw.  Works great.

NANP

Pixie Dust

Other teachers?  I used to teach high school biology, marine biology and math.  Neat. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Rockdoctor

NANP, Pixie Dust
    I teach geology and astronomy
I am old-fashioned. I prefer a sail-boat to a motor-boat, and it is my belief that boat-sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.  Jack London

dock goody

I taught Biochemistry and Cell Biology

NANP

High school language arts, here, primarily reading.  Yeah, that really IS a high school class, lol---basically, I help 9th graders make that "step up" to high school level work.

NANP

Rockdoctor

gonna have to add a teachers lounge to this site
I am old-fashioned. I prefer a sail-boat to a motor-boat, and it is my belief that boat-sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.  Jack London

Zen

???

Does Martial Art teacher count ??  ;)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Pixie Dust

Sounds like we have the subjects all covered... especially the sciences!  KEWL
Wish I had paid more attention to my HS astronomy class.  Hated it then, fascinated by it now.

Zen- of course it counts!    :)
I am a nurse now.  Teaching involved with that field as well.  :) Now that I sail, wish I had those summers, Christmas and Spring Breaks again.  :) 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Rockdoctor

Absolutely Zen.
We could all get together and make an at sea educational program for sailing kids. Call it an at sea charter school and appy for a grant! That way I dont have to wait 20 more years for retirement

CapnK

There's a long-term transient in the marina who owns a software company, they sailed in to here about a month ago on their Beneteau 47, having come up from South America without a landfall, via the eastern route around the Carribean. I was talking to him the other day, and found out that what his company made was some high-end stuff that is used by big giant corporate customers, giving them access to their bank accounts on a preferred basis by the banks themselves. He said that he and his business partner had decided a couple years ago they'd had enough, and so told all their customers to find a different solution, because they planned no more upgrades or enhancement to their software. They've run the software long enough on enough different systems that there basically are no more bugs to worry about, but they just don't want to improve the product.

Well, their customers just won't leave, won't quit using the software. :D In fact, one just made them commit to a 2 year extension of the service contract, which they've agreed to, making a chunk of change in the process. Not a hard decision for Mike to make, since when he sat down and figured out how much he'd had to actually work in the past 2 years (while still making money) amounted to a total of 5 hours. Not a bad ratio, eh? :D

Anyway, it's an interesting story that sounds like the *ultimate* way to work from the boat and keep the kitty full, thanks to wireless and the internet...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

http://www.marinecomp.com/

USB to WiFi w/external antenna connection

8.5Db gain marine antenna w/mount

10' antenna extension

1000mW amplifier
   These items were Group priced    $525"

Iceman

Ill start thread here :)
Ive been away for awhile
Is there a post already for Computer Comms when at dock/anchor etc

Oyster

Great to see you pop up. I would love to see the latest goings on from down there. Which ice breaker is down that way this year?

s/v Faith

Quote from: Iceman on December 18, 2006, 06:00:05 PM
Ill start thread here :)
Ive been away for awhile
Is there a post already for Computer Comms when at dock/anchor etc?

There is, so I went ahead and merged them.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cmdr Pete

Hey Ice!

Here is a post I came across by "A.C" in Maine. Talking about using a Smartphone as a modem:

You really should consider a PDA Smart Phone with unlimited broad band because it's much less money overall. I use Verizon service and then downloaded a software called PDA Net from June Fabrics Link submitted by author that turns my Motorolla Q smart phone into a high speed modem. The unlimited data package with a smart phone is only $45.00 (vs. $60.00 + $10.00 for the additional line charge) a month plus you can get e-mail on your phone anywhere and without your laptop. The software is great and very easy to use. I paid $29.00 for the software and love, love, love it.

When I want to use my laptop to get on line I just connect my phone to my laptop via the USB 2.0 wire and click connect! One phone line, one data package it could not be easier. Verizon and others will lie to you and tell you that PDA phones can't be modems, this is totally false, because they just wan't you to have multiple lines of service with them...

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Captain Smollett

Dumb question, Pete, but does the Smart Phone have coverage in remote locations, or is it basically an urban service?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cmdr Pete

Oh Boy. I'm just starting to try and figure this out.

Hopefully, somebody will respond who understands this stuff

I think....

If you're in a wifi spot all you need is a computer with a wireless card

Otherwise, you need to connect the computer to a cell phone

The newer "smartphones" offer faster speeds, but your still limited to cell phone range

Is that right so far?
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

Basically correct.  Some of the newer GSM phones do offer higher speeds, and the better ones can connect to your computer via BlueTooth, which means you can power them via a 12VDC charger, while using them to connect. :D

If you've got any specific wireless questions, let me know, I've setup plenty of the networks, both cellular and 802.11-based.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

As Dan says, the basic is right. In a wifi zone, with a laptop with a wireless card, you can just connect, unless it is a closed system where you need a password. eg: I can take my laptop to the marina and get connected to the interent however, to use it I need a password. In Japan sitting at the airport with my laptop I can just turn it on and be connected to the interent and use it, no password needed.

Other wise you will need a way to dial/connect to the interent. eg: a cell phone connection.

Captain Smollett

But my point is that you need Cell/WiFi coverage to use it.  There's not a lot of microwave towers in the mid Atlantic or South Pacific. And unless I misunderstood Iceman's original comment, the need is for communcations in Antarctica.

So, this solution is good if you happen to stay within cell range (ie, probably less than ten miles line-of-site) of the US, European or Australian coasts, but probably of little use elsewhere.  Or am I still missing something?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain