Computer Comms: 'Net access while cruising?

Started by CapnK, December 26, 2005, 11:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol' Coot

Quote from: s/v godot on December 20, 2006, 08:52:52 PM
Because of this an industry has popped up who's sole purpose is to restore cellphones to their non-branded state; at which point everything that used to work still works, and everything that didn't work, now does.

More info, please!  Have tried a couple of software programs to attempt to use my cell phone foe a modem without much luck.  Any suggestions welcome.
"...somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"  - B.S. 1973

Godot

Check out http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122094-page,7/article.html for a short article on this.  And then do a google search.  I believe you can buy unlocking codes are kits for most phones for about $30.  According to the above article, depending on your vendor you may be able to talk them into unlocking your phone.  Also according to the above article, Verizon Wireless doesn't lock CDMA phones; but I'm not sure that means they don't cripple them with their branding.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: s/v godot on December 20, 2006, 08:52:52 PM
One thing to be aware of if trying to connect your laptop to the internet via  a regular cell phone is that some cellular carriers cripple the phones they sell you so that they won't work without buying another service.

Cell phone companies are tricky that way.  I believe both Verizon and Cingular will cripple their phones so you can't load your own ring tones or games or use various other features that would ordinarily be built into the phone without paying an extra fee.  Because of this an industry has popped up who's sole purpose is to restore cellphones to their non-branded state; at which point everything that used to work still works, and everything that didn't work, now does.

There are actually two different things going on... one is phone to network locking.  This is only done by the GSM-based cellular companies, like T-Mobile, Cingular, etc.  This makes it impossible to use the phone with a different provider's SIM card.  However, some of the carriers, especially T-Mobile are very good at providing the unlock codes for a phone, so you can use another providers SIM card in them.  This is extremely useful if you're going overseas and want to use a local provider in Europe, rather than roaming with your US-based provider.

Verizon and Sprint don't have to do this as they are the only carriers in the US market using their carrier communications technology, CDMA and PCS respectively, IIRC.   Their phone are not useable on other carrier networks...so there is no need to network-lock them.

The second thing that is going on  is custom-firmwares for the phones, based on the requests by the provider.  Verizon is most notorious for doing this, often doing things like crippling the Bluetooth file transfer capabilities on camera phones, so you have to use their paid services to transfer files from the phone, rather than using a free BlueTooth connection.

The GSM-carriers also customize the phones with network-logos, like the obnoxious orange thing for Cingular.

Restoring an "uncrippled" firmware to a phone usually requires a special cable and software.  There are also services that will do it. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

ok, specfics, I have a motorola with cingular. I want to be able to hookup my laptop via internal modem to access the internet from a marina I am visiting, lets say Boston. Who/what do I need to see/ do, to do that beside cingular who wants me to use their interent access $ervices?
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on December 20, 2006, 05:06:57 PM
With the advent of wifi cards for laptops, why go through the cell phone at all?  Why not just get an appropriate card for the lappy and 'eliminate the middle man'?......

Maybe I am just too much the stereotypical 'blow boater' but I view any monthly expense as a 'leak'.

I want as few of them as I can manage.  I barely have a cell phone ($20 a month, and never use my minutes, calling instead on free nights and weekends).  My dial up isp is 6.95 a month, and uses my sub$20 land line (no long distance needed since I use my 'free minutes' on my phone for long distance calls.)

It's not that I can't afford a $80 a month cell phone, and another $69 for broadband... I choose not to be a slave to the high fees for the ability to not be a slave to these kind of expenses in the future.....

I just can't justify a $100+ for comms.....

... If I could get cell phone data, and comms for half that I might consider it.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on December 21, 2006, 08:27:27 PM

Maybe I am just too much the stereotypical 'blow boater' but I view any monthly expense as a 'leak'.

{snip}

I just can't justify a $100+ for comms.....

... If I could get cell phone data, and comms for half that I might consider it.

Oh, I agree with that.  What I'm not clear about is if the data link with a cell phone IS cheaper than wifi in a laptop.  With many places offering free wireless, and more to coming all the time, this will DEFINITELY be more cost effective than carrying a big cell phone plan. For me, an Internet Connection is preferable to a phone (I hate phones on the best of days).* That is, IF you are cruising in a covered area.  But that goes with cell service, too.

As Charlie pointed out, it will do little good to rely on the cell phone, whether for voice or for data, if the coverage is not there.  And it would do me NO good, as my long range plans have me going places where people cannot afford to eat, much less have toys like mobile telephones.

Of course, another point in the comm issue is if you plan to supplement your cruising kitty with writing or some similar activity that will require connectivity to the "paycheck provider."  Then, I think the monthly expense is justified if it yields a net gain for 'the cause.'

* My current business requires an Internet connection.  So, if I can use a wireless laptop to provide for my clients, I can justify the need for wireles broadband...but I can foresee not needing a telephone.  As a matter of fact, when I lived in Colorado, I did not have a phone.  I loved it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Tangent:

One of my regular clients is the captain of a 61' sportfishing boat which winters down in Florida. This is the first year he's had a laptop and wireless (802.11 wireless, not cellular). He called me last week from his marina there, a ways south of Canaveral. The marina has wireless, but it is *outrageously* expensive, and uses a proxy connection for 'net access. These prices are not exact, but reflect what he told me: Something like $5 for 30 minutes, a period of a day or days for $50-couple hundred, and multi-month prices up to around $500.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) :P :P :P :-\ :-\ :-\ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The company hawking this "service" apparently has lots of contracts with municipalities in the southern half of Florida. He read me quite the long list of places where they have their claws ripping out peoples wallets setup installed as the only access.

At those prices, I would just go visit a net cafe which offered free access along with a cuppa joe and a bagel...

The amazing thing to me is that this guy is paying $2,900 ***PER MONTH*** for the slip. Seems like for that kind of mega bux, you wouldn't have to also pay and arm and a leg (and most of a third appendage, your pick) just for 'net access.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Zen on December 21, 2006, 06:48:28 PM
ok, specfics, I have a motorola with cingular. I want to be able to hookup my laptop via internal modem to access the internet from a marina I am visiting, lets say Boston. Who/what do I need to see/ do, to do that beside cingular who wants me to use their interent access $ervices?

Zen-

Why would you want to use your internal modem.  If your phone is BlueTooth capable or has a data cable available for it, you can set it up and use it as a modem.  Used to do this for reporters and photogs all the time when I worked for a news wire service.   :D   T-Mobile has a flat-fee ($19.95) for unlimited internet access, and it doesn't use any phone airtime minutes.  Cingular probably has a similar plan. 

If you have specific questions, pm me with the phone/laptop make/model and I can do a bit of research for ya.

CapnK-

He could probably get a cable TV connection and cable modem for far less.  Many marinas with long-term slips allow cable TV installations...and he could easily use one for a high-speed internet connection.  DSL is also an option at some marinas, but due to distance limitations (3 miles between location and central office) not as readily available.

S/V FAITH-

The cost of a higher-speed (mind you this varies with your location) cellular connection and phone service can be as little as $80 per month or so.  That's about what I was paying for 1000 any time minutes, free nights/weekends, and unlimited internet via T-Mobile.  If you dump the landline and the ISP, that's $27 towards the $80 already.

Capn Smollett-

The big problem you'd probably have is bandwidth.  The current 2.5/3G connection is not really broadband speed.  It's more like ISDN speeds in most locations....in the newest, most upgraded urban areas, it it like a low-end DSL connection. 

Hope that helps.  Any questions, let me know.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Zen

Quote from: CapnK on December 23, 2006, 03:03:40 PM
Tangent:

One of my regular clients is the captain of a 61' sportfishing boat which winters down in Florida. This is the first year he's had a laptop and wireless (802.11 wireless, not cellular). He called me last week from his marina there, a ways south of Canaveral. The marina has wireless, but it is *outrageously* expensive, and uses a proxy connection for 'net access. These prices are not exact, but reflect what he told me: Something like $5 for 30 minutes, a period of a day or days for $50-couple hundred, and multi-month prices up to around $500.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) :P :P :P :-\ :-\ :-\ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The company hawking this "service" apparently has lots of contracts with municipalities in the southern half of Florida. He read me quite the long list of places where they have their claws ripping out peoples wallets setup installed as the only access.

At those prices, I would just go visit a net cafe which offered free access along with a cuppa joe and a bagel...

The amazing thing to me is that this guy is paying $2,900 ***PER MONTH*** for the slip. Seems like for that kind of mega bux, you wouldn't have to also pay and arm and a leg (and most of a third appendage, your pick) just for 'net access.

Holy enima batman  :o
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

An idea that I got from CapnK, but I have not seen posted yet.

My PMCIA slot went bad on my laptop, so I have switched to a USB adapter.  Kurt recommended using a USB extension to get the adapter a bit higher.  I am sitting on the boat right now, and have actually attached 2 USB extension cords together and have the antenna on top of the boom.  I can get the signal from a good distance away with this set up.

USB does not like too many extensions, but the 12' total seems to be working fine.

Thanks Kurt!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

There are some "boosted" USB cables that are 15-20' long.  They have an amplifier in the middle of the cable.  You might want to try one of them and see if you can get the antenna a bit higher. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran