News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Lifejackets... inflatable or otherwise.

Started by s/v Faith, December 27, 2006, 09:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr Pete

A Coast Guard study found that only 10% of adult boaters wear a PFD.

For cabin sailboats, the rate is 15%

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/PFD-2005-Report-Final.pdf

This is the jacket I wear most often

http://www.stormyseas.com/heavydutyjacket.html

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Godot

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on January 02, 2007, 09:41:29 AM
This is the jacket I wear most often

http://www.stormyseas.com/heavydutyjacket.html

Looks good.  But this picture from the same page gives me pause when thinking of the ability to self rescue:

It looks like arm motion will be seriously impeded.  Potentially a bad thing when trying to climb back on board.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Cmdr Pete

It has the usual type of inflation bladder--nothing in the arms.

I'm not suggesting its the best PFD. But, it feels like putting on a regular jacket, which is why I wear it, instead of no PFD at all.

If I was smart, I might get one of those new little handheld VHF radios to keep in the pocket

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Godot

I'm curious...have you tried it on in the water?

As I mentioned previously, I have a terrible record of wearing a PFD.  I'm just not comfortable in them.  I made myself a rule that whenever I left the foredeck I would put one on; but I find I remember this rule sometime after I commit myself to whatever action I'm doing.  Oddly, the only time I consistantly remember to put it on is when my wife is with me, as her scolding gaze makes it hard to forget.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Fortis

rmy Seas products are made here in Australia (actually ,one state south, near where I used to live).

I've tried one of the vests and found it to be really good (like the yoke but with lots of pockets and no chance of falling out.

the stromy seas jackets are standard issue to all of the water police and rescue services and you are worn by about 80%+ of the crews for the Sydney to Hobart and Melbourne to Hobart yacht races. Really good stuff...but about 5 times the rpice of Burke and 4 times that of Hutchwilco and Plastimo.

still, we have the water police doing their SSS courses off the coast guard jetty at our station and they wear the stormy seas jackets to do them, seemingly with success and as much ease as wearing the yoke type pfd's.

I would probably save up and buy one of the jackets if I lived in a climate where I was sailing around icebergs a lot... As it is I find them to be really hot, which lessens the likelyhood of my wearing one on a less then freezing cold day...

I opted to go for the yoke style PFD, and layers of clothing to control both safety and comfort tempreture...But the stormy seas jackets are still NICE!!!!!

Alex.

Auspicious

I have an older SOSpenders auto-inflate PFD w/ harness that includes a whistle and a strobe. I also have five Secumar auto-inflate PFDs w/ harnesses I bought in Europe for my transatlantic. I like the SOSpenders unit better.

I wear it when singlehanding if it's blowing, dark, or raining. Although I have also heard stories of spontaneous inflation I have not had a problem even after wearing the PFD for days of rain. A couple of crew for the transatlantic left their PFDs tucked in a corner of the cockpit while they were off-watch (<sigh>) and they didn't inflate even after several days of rain.

I know that life-rafts are inflated slowly with compressed air when tested and not by the inflation cartridges. Apparently the pressure and temperature shock can damage the fabric. Might there be a similar issue with "testing" an inflatable PFD by diving overboard? I concur with test inflation by blowing the tubes, but I don't think I'll use the cartridge.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

While there may be some risk of damage to the PFD by cartridge inflation, I think that it is necessary for use.  I don't think that repeatedly inflating a PFD via CO2 cartridge is a wise idea, as the sudden inflation has risks associated with it...but a single time emergency inflation, when you actually need it is probably well within it's capabilities. .

Personally, I don't think the risk of temperature shock is as high, as the cartridge is considerably smaller, the volume of gas required is much smaller, and the temperature it drops down to is probably not as low as those of the larger cartridges used in Life Rafts. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Fortis

I think there is a difference in both fabric used for liferafts and PFD's and tempreture shock between the big bottles in rafts and the tiny things for PFD's. I know that Gary Skipper, the spokesman for Stormy Seas has had the same inlfatable vest for about six years and fires the cartridge to inflate it as part of his safety talk twice a day, every day as part of boat shows, in-store presentations etc.... Even if he only works 3 weekends a month, that is still a lot of test fires and the unit is still 100%

Alex.

psyche

I have 2 manual inflate and one auto inflate all with built in harness. The CO unit does not seem to be dated on the manual units but the auto inflate little dissolveable donut does and to purchase it you have to purchase a new CO unit. I have back-up CO and donuts for each vest. I prefer the auto for the reason stated. If rendered unconscious and thrown out the boat I want my vest to inflate. Dan

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Fortis on December 29, 2006, 11:15:32 AM

Oh one point on the inflatables. I wore mine for the last Sea Safety Survival course...And I damned well popped out of it!

Alex,

Which brand was this?  Was this the new Plastimo you mentioned in your post?

Thanks.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Finally looked at my 'blue one'....it is made by 'crewsaver' (England)..model is 'crewfit 150N'.   self inflates ( I hope!)  Anyone heard of these??   Just did a search...here's the link  http://www.wesellcrewsaver.co.uk/product-pages/csr-crewfit150-blue.htm    mine is an older one with 'pull to inflate,auto inflate,blowup to inflate' and a WAY heavier harness
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Fortis

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 06, 2007, 07:59:40 AM
Quote from: Fortis on December 29, 2006, 11:15:32 AM

Oh one point on the inflatables. I wore mine for the last Sea Safety Survival course...And I damned well popped out of it!

Alex,

Which brand was this?  Was this the new Plastimo you mentioned in your post?

Thanks.

Burke Offshore with integral harness.

s/v Faith

I am going with the SOSpender's unit.

I found that the SOSpenders auto/manual with harnes is now $169 at Defender.  I did some checking and found that it is $159 at LandFallNavigation.

Reviews are favorable, bunch of them out there... no one has really had anything bad to say about them.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on March 02, 2007, 12:01:36 PM
Same one?

http://www.amazon.com/SOSPENDERS-1230-WORLD-CLASS-AUTOMATIC/dp/B000M69C2O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3529525-2067063?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1172854489&sr=8-1
:(

On Edit,

The Folks at Landfall navigation were willing to cancell my order.  I can now order from Amazon!

$40 worth of grog for CmdrPete!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I thought the one you linked to might be the one without the harness, but the description says;

QuoteProduct Features

Built-in harness meets ORC requirements for additional security.
Reflective tape on cover and bladder for greater visibility, and safety whistle attached to bladder.
Rearm kit 38ARK, Stearns item # 0952.
Automatic inflatable is U S Coast Guard approved Type V with Type II performance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Description

Product Description
1230 - WORLD CLASS SERIES / AUTOMATIC LIFE VEST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Details

Shipping Weight: 5.00 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
ASIN: B000M69C2O 
and here is a link to the Sterns web site verifying the 1230 model has the harness.

Just a word of caution.  I was looking at the revere inflateable on sailnet, and they have the picture of the one with harness in the add for the one without harness.....  :-[  When you read the model number of the one listed and check it against the MFG's website you see it is the one without hte harness.

On 2nd Edit:

Make that $50 worth of grog for Cmdr Pete!  The shipping was $10 cheaper too!!!

;D :D ;) :) ;D :D ;) :) ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cmdr Pete

Sure, go ahead, put your safety in the hands of the lowest bidder  ;) :o ??? ::) :P ;)

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

Pete-

The lowest bidder is fine, as long as it is the retailers—not the manufacturers—doing the bidding. ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Cmdr Pete

West Marine has their automatic PFD on sale for $89.99.

I bought one of these for guests last year. Printed out the page and brought it down to the store.

I don't think its especially comfortable, but its pretty cheap for an automatic. The Manual one is on sale for $69.99

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/276141/10001/13116/0/0

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Cmdr Pete

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Pablo

Paul