So... what'd you give your boat? :D

Started by CapnK, December 24, 2006, 01:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Since 'giving is more important than receiving', and our boats give us so much throughout the year, what is it that you are doing special - if anything - for your wee vessel this year?

"Katie Marie" got her bilge cleaned and scrubbed earlier today, after which I mounted an auto-float switch I bought several months ago onto the electric pump (yeah, I know, I know... ;)). After this quick coffee break, I'm going to temporarily permanently mount the manual Whale Gusher that was part of her inventory when I bought her.

The Gusher used to reside on the underside of one of the floorboards. I think it was that way so that it could be used - sorta - in an emergency, but I want to get it set up so that I can suction out those last few drops that remain behind after the electric pump can't pump any more.

Eventually I'll have a big honking high-volume manual pump that I can work from the cockpit, and this pump will be the belowdecks manual option. Thus the "temporary permanent" mounting - not sure it'll stay where I put it today, not forever, probably just for the next few months, until I rebuild the structure in that area...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Jubilee got a new dodger and storm curtains. She found the box and opened it a bit early.....had to wear it to the Christmas formal
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Dougcan

Time!

That's what I'm giving my boat for Christmas!

More of my time on the boat, fixing, modifying and sailing!

Cheers and Happy holidays to y'all!

s/v Faith

Quote from: CapnK on December 24, 2006, 01:30:24 PM
... after which I mounted an auto-float switch I bought several months ago onto the electric pump (yeah, I know, I know... ;)). After this quick coffee break, I'm going to temporarily permanently mount the manual Whale Gusher that was part of her inventory when I bought her....

That's really funny Katie got some attention on the dewatering front..  I worked on my large bilge pump installation yesterday (finished securing it).  I also added a dedicated buss bar that just services the bilge pumps.   Been working on getting a few projects done.  Removed a strip of bad core (balsa reaming between dynacell repairs the prior owner had done).  I then faired the deck from the cabin forward and overcoated the entire deck with 2 layers of 6oz cloth.  I also added a raised pad that I mounted the bit to, and polished the bow pulpit while it was off.

I also added two drawers behind the top step (between the galley and the Nav table).  Just need to glue new laminate to the step now (I have had trouble with this in the past).

As far as new stuff, I have now received 4 of the 6 10" bronze cleats I am going to install. .....
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Joe Pyrat

Well, let's see what Santa brought her, new bow pulpit, stern rail, stanchions, hatches, deck and interior paint, interior redesign, ships clock and barometer.  I'd say she had a very Merry Christmas and it looks like she's going to have a wonderful New Year as well.   ;D
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Pixie Dust

ME!!! Pixie is going to have me onboard 24/7 starting the first week of January.  :)  House is to close this Wed morning, headed out of town for 1 wk, a 1 month notice to my boss, then home to my Wee Vessel.   I hope she does not get sick of me too fast, we need to get along for the next year.  She will have lots of attention and hopefully great adventures in the New Year.   :) I am excited about her Christmas present.  :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Sounds like a good thing Connie... I hope PD realizes how lucky she is to have ya... ;)  Just curious, are you giving Pixie Dust a gift receipt in case she wants a different captain??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

s/v Zen

1- manual bildge pump
2 -  cable covers.
3 -  ft of seawage hose
and a
4 -  hundred mtz Macintosh

:D

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

I haven't given to the boat yet, but she did get some nice gifts:

A good, sharp knife (you can't have too many of those on board)
One of those shake to charge LED flashlights.  Have to keep it away from the compass, but other than that....

Also, a $50 gift card from WM that's worth $65 if used by 1 Jan 2007.  Sooooo, I'm thinking about using that toward a harness/inflatable pfd.

Connie got the best gift for PD, though.  I cannot top that.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AllAboutMe

Gotta use that Gift Card by the 30th to get the 15%.....just a heads up!!!
A West Marine part timer.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AllAboutMe on December 27, 2006, 08:53:19 PM
Gotta use that Gift Card by the 30th to get the 15%.....just a heads up!!!
A West Marine part timer.

Oh, that's right! ... I was 'estimating' AROUND the 1st...hehe.  ::)

Thanks for the the reminder.  The real question is if I can use it online or if I need to go to an actual retail shop.  Do you know?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Between the time I made the original post, and the time when I actually left the boat, I also made a mini-dropboard for her. That's one of the good things about rainy days - time to do those small projects. :D

It is Lexan, attached to a teak frame with 5200, approx. 6" high. Not very pretty, just seamanlike ;), and it allows me to see out towards the back off the boat when she is shut up against the cold. It's a dockside/at-anchor thing only, but despite that, works well.

I'm glad to see so many people giving to their boats so unselfishly... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Captain Smollett on December 27, 2006, 10:50:38 PM

The real question is if I can use it online or if I need to go to an actual retail shop.

Answer: Yes.  Says so right on the card!  (Sometimes I DO actually read the fine print...)

Changed my ordering plans a little.  Got a child harness for my daughter (so I can start taking her sailing without my wife having to be present) and a double braid fid kit.  The harness/inflatable will have to stay on the 'wish list' for now....   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

BobW

Prelude received (well, is receiving) new storage racks (one for dishes, and one for miscellaneous odds and ends) and a new table for the cabin. 

Everything is in the construction mode at the moment, and pictures will have to wait until later in the weekend. 
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

c-hag

i am giving my boat good blues music to listen to even when my radio station does not play them......

K3v1n

Well Gypsy Soul is getting a newly painted bottom for one, but that will be more of an Easter gift.  :-\

-Kevin