A voyage that didn't go too well

Started by Norm, January 05, 2007, 10:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 11, 2007, 01:30:36 PM
Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 11, 2007, 12:34:48 PM

My question is what the heck do you put on a boat that weighs over five tons??? 

Fourteen AGM batteries is probably a good percentage of that.  Group 27's weigh what, about 80 lbs?  That's about 10% of his added weight right there.

Good point... Actually, AGM Group 27 batteries are only 65 lbs each... but still.  My question is why so many batteries...  That would give him a battery bank of 1400 amp-hours.  He did have two wind generators on-board, so why the need for such a massive battery bank???  Also, where were the batteries located.  ABYC standards specify that a battery, AGM or not, needs to be in a secured battery box.  From what I've read, his were flying about the cabin during the rollover...so obviously they were not properly secured in battery boxes.

Still begs the question as to what the other 9100 lbs of stuff was... I believe the displacement for the boat includes normal stores to some degree.  Down at my marina there was a 50' steel schooner and she weighed in at 28,000 lbs or so IIRC—so I'm guessing that the 39,000 lbs of displacement listed on the sales listing for the boat includes at least some gear and equipment.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 11, 2007, 02:08:23 PM

That would give him a battery bank of 1400 amp-hours.  He did have two wind generators on-board, so why the need for such a massive battery bank???   

As well as a 4.5 kW genny.

It's clear from his set-up that the guy was planning to use a lot of electricity, or just did not feel comfortable without it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Well, all of the navigation equipment he listed was highly electricity dependent, unlike my Mark I eyeball, hand-bearing compass, sextant and chronometer (one solar powered, the other slug-wound automatic).
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Frank

He NEEDED that many batteries AND panels AND gen-set. Along with all the electronics...he had a mini Gym and tanning booth onboard. No need not to keep 'lookin good' on a trip like that.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

LOL, Frank. Funny guy... ;D

I think that calling for help to get off that boat was probably the best thing he could do. I don't think he had the experience or knowledge to get it jury rigged and moving before the next storm, much less the skills needed to make it through possible subsequent storms on a boat that wasn't 100%.

This does serve to show in part that he was unprepared for the very extreme voyage he undertook, IMO. Many, many tales of folks sailing 'down there' relate circumstances at least as harsh as what he experienced, so I cannot help but believe that if he'd done his 'due diligence', he would have known that what happened to him was not at all unlikely to happen. And had a plan for when it happened other than squawking an EPIRB and waiting for rescue.

The boat did appear capable of being jury rigged, and seemed to be floating pretty close to her lines. I would guess, though, that he was scared - as all of us would most likely be - by what happened, and what might yet happen. (In a perfect world, I would be made of the same stuff as the Smeetons, and would perform as they did, but until the 'opportunity' to find that out presents itself, well, who knows...) Good point about carrying the dinghy on a nonstop RTW voyage, unless of course it was considered also a lifeboat...?

It is neat that he left the harbor and chased the big dream, because so many never will do the same out of fear. He demonstrated that he had what it took to "just do it", and to a certain degree that is admirable. That said, I wouldn't want to emulate or promote his methods, as I don't believe that the way he went about it is 'the right way'. Something was obviously missing from his preparation...

Like has been said before: Sometimes having chutzpah isn't enough. No matter how much gear you have, nor what kind of boat you carry it in. Having all the best "stuff" in the world, even three times redundant, will not compensate for a lack in other areas.

To me, the whole story illustrates that the #1 most important thing you can take to sea is knowledge, followed closely by a general preparedness for the worst. Whatever "stuff" you do have you cannot depend upon always having, you still need to know how to get by without it.

To paraphrase a favorite author, the sea is a harsh mistress.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Chutzpah and being ill-prepared is generally a bad combination.  Less chutzpah and more preparation is generally a good idea.  Having gear that you don't really know how to use properly doesn't make up for the lack of skill and experience... never did.... never will.

Frank-

On a boat that big you could fit a mini-Gym and tanning bed... he had to remove a quarterberth to get the tanning bed in though. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

oded kishony

What I find most puzzling about this story is that he supposedly did quite a bit of research before his trip. I've never considered a solo circumnavigation but just from the reading that I've done the most persuasive authorities on long distance sailing are the Pardays, who sail on a 30something Bristol Channel Cutter. I just haven't seen many stories about solo circumnavigations on such a big boat. Have I just been missing them?

Oded

Captain Smollett

Quote from: oded kishony on January 12, 2007, 12:37:34 PM

I just haven't seen many stories about solo circumnavigations on such a big boat. Have I just been missing them?

Well, we might(*) consider the Around Alone and similar races solo circumnavigations, and those sometimes (generally) utilize larger boats (up to 60').  But they are specially designed and outfitted for solo sailing in harsh conditions.

The Joshua Slocum Society Web Site seems to be down at the moment, or I'd look up what seems to be 'normal' for solo circumnavigators.  IIRC, it's somewhere in the 30-40 ft range, with a healthy dose below 30 feet.

*  Why "might?"  The 'official' definition of a circumnavigation is that you have to cross two anitpodal points ... points on the earth's surface connected by a straight line-of-diameter.  If you sail around the world, touch every longitude, but don't hit two antipodal points somewhere on the journey, it is not, for record keeping purposes anyway, considered a circumnavigation.  I don't think the Around Alone races touch antipodal points, though they do touch every longitude.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

If you look at Henderson's book on single-handed sailing, you'll notice that a majority of the boats used are fairly small... sub-35' in length for most.  The exceptions are often the big money, big boat races, but that isn't really the idea of solo circumnavigation in the traditional sense.   

Anyone with a big enough budget can setup a 50'+ boat to single-hand, but most people won't have the skills or the experience to do so still.  Almost anyone can setup and sail a 30' boat around the world with just a bit of training, lots of practice and a bit of luck.

Tania Aebi did so on a Contessa 26 with almost no real previous sailing experience.  Mistakes are often made...but a mistake on a 26' boat can be far easier to recover from and the boat may be a lot more forgiving.   Read her book "Maiden Voyage" and it is a real eye-opener.   
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

cubemonkey

Quote from: CapnK on January 12, 2007, 08:29:27 AM

Many, many tales of folks sailing 'down there' relate circumstances at least as harsh as what he experienced, so I cannot help but believe that if he'd done his 'due diligence', he would have known that what happened to him was not at all unlikely to happen.

It is neat that he left the harbor and chased the big dream, because so many never will do the same out of fear. He demonstrated that he had what it took to "just do it", and to a certain degree that is admirable.

The conditions Ken experienced so far as I've read, are not that unusual anywhere, not just 'down there.' In our delivery this fall, we experienced similar conditions north of Cape Hatteras on the east coast. I agree with CapnK on his other major point, that Ken did pursue his dream.

Being a newbie at this whole sailing thing, I can really feel the push/pull of desire vs knowledge. I'd like to hear what other members feel about gaining "enough" knowledge, knowing when one is ready to set out. There is always more knowledge to gain, more skills to master, more to do on one's boat. I guess that is true of any pursuit, not just sailing. So what is your criteria for being ready?

As you may know from Norm's contributions, we are planning an adventure before we get to be too old. We have a target for a date, and an outline of activities leading up to that. Will we be ready? Mostly will I be ready? The mismatch in skills is something we will never equalize, so it will be how do we both feel about that, to determine our readiness. I'm not too worried about the boat, or redundant systems. Being ready would include a certain self-reliance, which as many of you indicated would not include 14 batteries. We sailed last May on a boat which would never be ready IMHO, simply because it didn't have an analog compass. That was fun when we lost the instruments 20 hours out. But that incident gave me experience in sailing without instruments, and taught me that the basics are always a necessity. Being an outdoors person, I had a couple of spare compasses hanging off my gear, and we had a handheld GPS, which we used sparingly to save on batteries. So in a way, we were ready although the boat was not.  :D

I have a long way to go, which frightens me, and which I hope would frighten Norm. Another consideration for those with a sailing dream. Do you make your dream happen with someone who may not be able to be an equal partner? This is an ongoing discussion for N and me. I guess to your point, CapnK, do you let fear stop you? When is fear a good indicator that you don't have the skills or knowledge you need?

I'd love to hear what other members think.

-elizabeth
s/v Averisera
Aphrodite 101
Hull #264
Boston, MA

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life,
the laws of the universe will be simpler."

-Henry David Thoreau

AdriftAtSea

Elizabeth-

While I think it would be great to have a partner that is equally skilled, it isn't a necessity.  As long as you both know and acknowledge the limitations in skills/experience it can work out.  As time goes by, the skills and experience will increase.  In your case especially, I think you'll be fine, as Norm is an excellent mentor when it comes to sailing. 

As for fear—fear may be a good indicator that you're not quite ready yet.  There was an excellent article on a woman had some fears about their first transoceanic passage, and they stopped and spent an additional year doing shorter bluewater passages before starting out on their transoceanic cruise.  Her fears were assuaged by the additional year and the experience she gained during that time.  If i can find the article, I'll let you know what magazine it was in.

I think the real problem is when someone isn't willing to admit they don't have the skill or the knowledge, and aren't willing to learn because of that lack of admission.  If Tania Aebi could set off at the age of 18 in a relatively unknown to her boat, an excellent boat but still new to her, with fairly little real sailing experience... I don't see it as a problem. 

I think the reason she succeeded, and Ken failed... is that she knew she had a lot to learn and was willing to do so... and she started out by doing the relatively safer and simpler passages—not attempting one of the most dangerous passages known to oceanic sailors.

I think the combination of a very large boat and being unprepared is really what did Ken in.  In many ways, I think that smaller boats are more forgiving of mistakes to some degree than are larger boats.  The forces involved are generally much smaller, and the results are similarly smaller.  An accidental gybe on an Open 60 versus one on a Cape Dory 25 are very different things.   Both are dangerous, but one involves lethal forces in even the lightest of winds...the other is only a real danger when the wind picks up. Same with raising the sails... on an Open 60... letting go of the halyard by accident can kill someone... dropping the mainsail of the Cape Dory 25, if it comes down by itself at all, is not likely to have much energy behind it. It looks like Ken made some basic errors on his 44' ketch, but the forces involved with a 50000 lbs boat aren't going to be very forgiving... and something is going to pay for those mistakes.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Frank

been thinking...(scary eh)...BEFORE making a serious crossing..how does this sound..(bluewater meaning offshore a couple of miles or more/major crossing meaning several days at sea.)    "sail in bluewater in 18kn winds,reef,change headsails out there..get comfortable with the motion and what to expect....THEN..sail bluewater in 22kn+ doing the same...THEN.. closer to 30kn doing the same...THEN... BEFORE heading out on that 'major crossing' do at least one 'over 30kn' day so ya know what it feels like (and sounds like !) changing headsails/reefing the main etc."  This way you will KNOW the sensations,where to brace yourself,handholds,how the boat reacts etc. and that new 'fear factor' will be much less with confidence way up. I wrote 'what it sounds like' because as anyone who has spent time out there in over 30kns knows...it is violent both visually and sounding!! Would qualify as the 'idiots guide to bluewater' ??  Simple as it sounds...I think it would save lots of people who haven't done it and their 1st 'big blow' out there really IS their 1st 'big blow'    PS...I qualified as one of those idiots!! My 1st big blow out there WAS my 1st big blow. 20kns on lake huron ain't 32kn+ in the gulf stream! Not proud of it...simply relating to 'the passion but not the experience' . I was very lucky and realize that.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

cubemonkey

Good perspectives from both of you. Thanks Dan and Frank. To Frank's comment
Quote from: Frank on January 13, 2007, 10:32:19 AM
I wrote 'what it sounds like' because as anyone who has spent time out there in over 30kns knows...it is violent both visually and sounding!!
during our delivery, I remember thinking that the noise level was so high that it was mentally exhausting over a period of days. It sounded like a feral animal was about at all times, whining, screaming, moaning, howling. Many days in that kind of condition is extremely taxing to your physical condition. I was already injured when we were dealing with that weather, so I guess my perceptions are somewhat skewed from loss of blood and pain. But yes, it is visually violent and aurally violent, quite fearsome.

I would be better prepared for that component of difficult weather now, but it still will take physical conditioning to remain calm and effective during such conditions.

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 13, 2007, 06:46:14 AMThere was an excellent article on a woman had some fears about their first transoceanic passage, and they stopped and spent an additional year doing shorter bluewater passages before starting out on their transoceanic cruise.

In our plan, N and I have for "the early years" sailing on as many boats as we can in as many conditions as we find ourselves. The November delivery was an example of an amazing learning opportunity, although unfortunate that it resulted in an injury. I think I bit off more than I could chew on that one. Knowing your way around the boat, and recognizing its deficiencies (such as inadequate handholds or no handholds!! in key locations) are key in assessing how you would handle challenging conditions. I am learning what is important, and what is necessary. Boat shopping has reflected my new appreciation of particular details, such as lee cloths, handholds, galley arrangement, wide side decks, etc. etc. The next phase will be, once we have "the boat", short trips to assess how she handles, at least a year of sailing her in all conditions. Then on the hard to address our newly defined needs, to ready her for "the big adventure". Baby steps, but we've made the first one. And we're still talking to each other. Exciting no?

-elizabeth
s/v Averisera
Aphrodite 101
Hull #264
Boston, MA

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life,
the laws of the universe will be simpler."

-Henry David Thoreau

AdriftAtSea

The still talking to each other is a good thing... it is much harder to co-exist in a confined space and to communicate if you're not talking to each other.  ;)

I'm a big advocate of getting actual heavy weather experience by going out in progressively heavier weather and learning more about the boat and how she handles the conditions.  You start by sailing in conditions 20 knots or so...and work your way up to stronger winds and bigger seas—but do so in a manner that gives you an out—so that if you find you're overmatched at the moment, you can take shelter, be it in a safe harbor or behind an island or in a sheltered bay... This will get you the experience you need to take it to the next level.

You can't get familiar with what it is really like—sailing in 30+ knots of wind....unless you sail in 30+ knots of wind. Same with 15' seas... if all you've every seen are the 2-3' seas of a protected bay...then the seas on the open ocean are going to be a rude awakening.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CharlieJ

Have to agree on all that, BUT- waves in a bay like Matagorda , or Albemarle Sound, just to pick two places, can be FAR nastier than waves in the open ocean. True deep water ( past the 100 fathom line for instance, behave way differently than shallow water waves.

I'd a whole lot rather see 15 footers in 1000 feet of water, than those same 15 footers in 75 feet of water.

And you sure as the devil DON'T want to see 10 - 12 footers in 15 - 18 feet of water, like some I know have seen in Matagorda. Trust me, you don't.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

True... shallow water can present huge problems... the Columbia River Bar strikes me as one... as does most of the New Jersey coast... both are really bad in any sort of bad weather.

Heading out to sea is often far safer...since the wave height and the conditions is often far less dangerous...also, you don't have the issue of shallow water, rocks and lee shores.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CharlieJ

South west coast of Louisiana also. This June when we left Vermillion Bay's Southwest pass, we were 75 miles straight out- in 73 feet of water. Still had another 60 miles or so to go to reach the continental shelf when we turned it west for Texas. Stayed in the shallow water in amongst the rigs.

I'd SURE hate to get nailed there in any kind of weather cause you'd be dodging seas AND oil rigs.

Take a look at this chart, and remember- in the blue areas, there are just as many rigs as in the white areas, they are just shown on a different chart. The blue marks the 100 fathfathom line.

http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/images/navmaps/mygulf.gif
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

actually they are quite far apart. They run in bands up to 5 miles apart, plus the individual wells are probably a mile or more apart. Individual well heads are usually clustered around a huge platform.

It's nerve racking for sure, but they are easy to miss, usually. Laura says "just steer for where it's dark"  ;D

NOT the kind of sailing I really prefer, but if you are sailing offshore from Western La to Texas, it's a fact of life
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera