Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

sextant??

Started by Tamboo, March 17, 2008, 07:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

Quote from: ntica on January 22, 2012, 02:02:07 PM
Found another not that expensive one... But the seller dosn't know what "brand" the text is in Russia... anyone knows? suggestion of bying?  
it's from 1983.

Do you have a picture of the text? There are several of us (myself included) who can read Russian.

Is the seller in Russia? Or is the seller in India? If India, I'd be careful, because lots of sextants were left on board ships that were taken to India to be broken apart.

If Russia, also be careful, since that's the home base for lots of internet fraud.

A lot of Soviet optics were high-quality but very heavy. On the good side: Russian military items were built to take a lot of punishment because they were often not well maintained. On the bad side: A lot of Russian military items were subjected to a lot more punishment than they were designed for.

My recommendation: Don't spend too much on this item. Then, if you can't use it for navigation, you might be able to use it as an interesting artifact.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

ntica

Hi. here's a pic from the front of the box Oldrig...appriciate it!!!
And the seller is from Sweden.

Oldrig

Quote from: ntica on January 24, 2012, 02:42:01 PM
Hi. here's a pic from the front of the box Oldrig...appriciate it!!!
And the seller is from Sweden.

Ntica:

The sextant is a model "SNO-T" (a joke in English, but a model in Russian), which was a standard Russian sextant.

The other phrase "made in the USSR."

I can't find much information on this model, except that there are a number of them for sale, and that they were considered solid, reliable (but heavy) instruments. They apparently have an oversized mirror, which is definitely a positive.

Here's a commentary about the "SNO-T" sextant that I found on the internet. Of course, the source was trying to sell one of these--and he did sell it:

QuoteOVERVIEW: I have been particularly impressed with the Russian CHO-T sextants as a good alternative to the premium brands such as both Plaths and Tamaya. It also makes sense to invest in one rather than plastic which commands very high prices for what they are, and any sextant with smaller mirrors.

In our opinion, Russian sextants are becoming better known in this country, and there prices have been on the rise. This is because of their large mirrors, compact size, quality optics and overall good construction found only in the serious sextants. However because so many of them are sold with only scopes that show the image upside down they may nit always be a good buy. The design of the CHO-T has some features similar to the Freiberger, but is smaller, by almost one inch on the vertical measurement which makes it ideal on small yachts. Some of the parts, such as mirrors and the tangent screw, are interchangeable.

Those who have used this model sextant at sea, speak very highly of it. If you are a small boat navigator make sure to keep the enclosed tangent screw free of salt water and lubricated with WD-40 and you will have no problems. You also will welcome the light weight and full size mirrors of a CHO-T compared to other lesser cost alternatives.

Since the seller is in Sweden, I'm assuming that you will actually receive the sextant if you order it.

If the price is similar to a plastic sextant, I'd think it might be worth the gamble. After all, unless it's bent, you can repair a metal sextant.

The only caution I could think of would be in connection with the weight: getting good sights with a heavy, metal sextant on a small boat might be tricky. But, in any case, you'll have to practice shooting with the sextant until it becomes second nature.

Best of luck,

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

ntica

Thanks a lot...yes I think I'll go for it, He asking 275 USD... fair price I think!
This was really helpfull Joe...
Just talk to "him" over the phone. The sextant was  bought by his father many years ago, of a USSR marine officer while at dock in Karlskrona harbour, (well know military marine harbour) never used, comes with some spares mirror.
Got it for 200USD ;D
again appriciate the help Joe!!!

Oldrig

Ntica:

If this sextant is indeed the equivalent of a Plath or a Tamaya -- or even a new Davis Mark 25 plastic sextant -- you're getting a very good piece of navigational equipment at an excellent price!

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Oldrig

Here's the rundown on the construction of the SNO-T sextant. This website is a gold mine of information about all kinds of sextants (including my antique Heath sextant). This guy, a retired dentist from New Zealand, has made a hobby out of collecting and restoring sextants of all types:

http://sextantbook.com/category/the-ussr-sno-t-sextant/

--Joe
--Capt. John Smith, 1627