News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cheap Stainless Steel BBQ

Started by Jack Tar, December 23, 2005, 02:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Tar

Lowes hardware had a great portable grill on sale for $85. Same one the marine stores sell for hundreds more. I bought one last year.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=41054-40307-720-0001&lpage=none
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

CapnK

Thx for the heads up Jack - I will look for that next time I am at Lowes. It looks like the high-dolla rectangular Magma.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Skipper Dave

Thanks Jack
I looked it up and it looks great.  Tell me how did you mount it?

---------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Jack Tar

When it came to mounting it I was lucky. My old kettle style BBQ had a fold out drip tray arrangment under it that the shaft was attached to. When I took the old BBQ and shaft off of the folding tray I found the new BBQ would set perfectly onto the tray assy. The folding legs of the new BBQ were left folded and they fit into the cut outs at each corner of the tray just right. I was sooooo lucky.  With a little imagineering Im sure you can come up with something. For the price you cant beeat it.

Capt.Ron

You know... I've had several styles of BBQ's over teh years, but I have gone back to my personal favourite... a SS Marine Kettle, charcoal burquette type, after many years and many types of propane BBQ's, I have gone back to the reliable, most flavourful and simple one that is never out of propane, or runs out when least apporpriate.... of course one must have room for the dry storage of the Burquettes... I have a traditional stanchion mount that is easily transfered from  Port to Starboard, and the whole package requires little space for storage. I fancy myself to be a bit of a Galley Chief and much prefer the flavour from Burquettes.... to each their own.

Ron
Ron

S/V Amor D'oro

A Pirates Life for me

Jack Tar

You can get the same flavor by adding some wood that has been soaked in fresh water to your propane BBQ.    ALder, Apple, Mesquete etc. Last resort add use liquid smoke in your BBQ sauce.

Capt.Ron

Jack Tar.. you are most correct of course... I suppose that perhaps, I'm just one of those crazy BBQ Cheif's that can't get over the burquette... 

The other haunting thought, is that of even having propane on board... I know... in this day and age that's not really pertitient anymore. I was raised sailing with my folks, Dad would not allow propane on his boats and I guess "that" , just sorta stuck with me.  We do not use propane on our current boat, with the exception of our portable Propane Cooker, for Crab, which is always disconnected unless in use, outside in the cockpit, or on shore. I seem to have a trend for "old school ways"...

A distant relative, ( through my Dad's recent second marriage), (mom passed from Cancer 6 years ago), is currently undergoing very painful skin grafting and reconstructive surgery after an explosion in their newer model RV early last summer, 05. The RV had been in for some warranty work on the stove, which had neccissitated the removal of the same. It was determined by investigators, that at some point during the repairs, the propane connection and/or propnae feed line was damaged. Two weeks later, while enroute across Eastern Canada, Propane gas filled every available crevice, and locker... until eventually, during preperation of breakfast, the gas ignited, destroying the RV, the blast threw Marjorie completely through the RV's wall and onto the ground fifty feet from the scene, her husband was in the washroom at the time and other than being badly shook up and scared as heck, was relatively unharmed. Marjorie has not been able to leave the Burn Centre in Toronto ever since, with third degree major burns over the majority of her body.

For the most part, I think that Sailers, are the types of people that are in-tune with their vessels and/or surroundngs, such that inspecting propane lines and connections would be a routine... I hope.

All that being said and the SS Dickenson that we had on our Aloha, used those dispoable little bottles that thread directly onto the BBQ.... pretty safe actually.

Ron

Ron

S/V Amor D'oro

A Pirates Life for me

Jack Tar

Now if you want some real flavor skip the brickeqets and get the wood tye BBQ fuel.

Captain Smollett

While I sure like the look of the stove that djn posted about, unfortunately, my boat does not have room for a full-time, built in stove.   

So, I've been thinking about portable grills and camp stove options.  Note that both of these options allow one unit to be used in both cabin and cockpit, though I will have to do some planning for cooking underway.

(1) Weber Baby Q

Comes highly rated by those that have them, including a trailor sailor who just used one for the entire BEER cruise; he claimed he would be selling his Magma grill in favor of this one.  He used it on one of his wash boards laid across the cockpit seats.

Amazon Page for Weber Baby Q has a pic and a few reviews.  I like that one specifically mentioned that it stays cool underneath and can be used on any surface.

The Baby Q is actually bigger than the Outback Products unit mentioned by djn.

(2) A duel fuel or kerosene only camping stove, like the Coleman Apex II

One thing I like about a kerosene capable stove is fuel compatibility with my Dietz anchor lamp.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain