Monitor that you can connect to your laptop and use in the cockpit

Started by psyche, February 01, 2007, 02:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psyche

I read this on another list and thought some of you might be interested in this monitor. I am going to consider putting it on a swivel arm so it can be swung out to be viewed in the cockpit or retracted to be viewed in the interior of the boat to view DVDs. I will connect it to my onboard computer and display computernavigational software like a chart plotter. That are my immediate thoughts anyway. I will check to see if they have a smaller model. Others have opinions? Dan

A Flat Screen Monitor Which Really Dims
by Steve & Linda Dashew

If you have ever used a standard flat screen monitor at night on watch, you know that dimming is not a feature. Of course these cost about one tenth of what a marinized monitor goes for (with proper dimming controls) so there is a bit of a conundrum here.

In the past we've opted for the standard monitors, and dealt with the excessive brightness at night with a plastic "lens" over the screen to help protect our night vision.

Now we've found something better. Last week we tested a 17" Samsung model 740 BX to display our SONAR and radar data. We expected the wide viewing angles and sharp images. But what surprised us the most was the excellent dimming capability.

And all of this for $200.

AdriftAtSea

I would be hesitant to use that in the cockpit of a small sailboat, as it isn't IPX7 rated...and will quickly die if any saltwater gets into it.  Doing so on a boat like the one the Dashews have, which has a 245 lb. anchor and is long enough and wide enough that water into the cockpit is relatively rare except under fairly extreme conditions makes it much more feasible. 

Aside from the inability to dim, the other real problem I've seen with most LCD monitors is that they aren't readable in daylight.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more