News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Plait Double Braid Rode/S/V Faith

Started by psyche, February 01, 2007, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psyche

Go to Cajun trader on eBay he is in Canada. I purchased 250 feet of 5/8 a year ago for less than $200 including shipping with eyes in both ends. I purchased the chain from a commercial fishing outfitter. If you have difficulty locating him let me know. I also replaced all of my halyards for my 8.7 with shackle for between $50 and $60 each. They are a joy to deal with. Dan

s/v Faith

Thanks for the tip Dan, Grog to you mate!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Thanks Dan. The only thing I didn't see them carry is a rope-chain spliced anchor rode... I've sent them an email to see if they would make one...  The ones with the thimble choke on the windlass.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 02, 2007, 07:59:22 AM
Thanks Dan. The only thing I didn't see them carry is a rope-chain spliced anchor rode... I've sent them an email to see if they would make one...  The ones with the thimble choke on the windlass.

You can do your own rope-chain spice.  It is basically a back-splice around the chain link.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

What I was looking for was 8-plait rope with a rope-to-chain splice.  I have a rode that is 3-strand-to-chain, that I did a backsplice on... but I'm not comfortable enough with splicing 8-plait (or Brait) to do the rope-to-chain splice... or I'd have to get some extra and work through it... ;)

From what a few friends have said, the 8-plait stuff stows much more compactly and with less kinking/hockling than the 3-strand does.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Captain Smollett

FWIW, here's a link (pdf warning): 8 plait back splice

Also, Defender Marine will probably do that splice for you.  If the price is right on the line from that source, send to another rigger.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for the PDF link Capn Smollett.  Grog to ya for it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran