Preserving cheese (in Cruising World)

Started by Oldrig, March 26, 2008, 09:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

There's an article in the latest Cruising World about preserving cheese (primarily hard cheese) using a spray bottle of white vinegar, cheese cloth and a vacuum sealer.

It sounds pretty simple. Has anybody heard of this technique, or better yet, tried it?

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

AdriftAtSea

I've used vinegar and cheese cloth to preserve cheese...but never thought of using a vacuum sealer with it. :) Makes sense though.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

psyche

The Cruising World article is also refering to preserving hard cheeses. She uses this method for preserving cheese unrefrigerated for up to a year even in the tropics. She specifically mentioned these cheeses: French Comte, Swiss Gruyere, Italian Parmigiano- Reggiano, Dutch Pradera, Spanish Roncal and Pecorniano Aficionado. Her method: Thoroughly clean the counter you will work on. She cuts the cheese into the size you think you will use within a couple of days, wraps it in cheese cloth, lightly spritz each piece of cheese with vinegar, wrap it in cheese cloth (or gauze) and vacuum seal it. Write the type of cheese and date on the sealed bag with a permanent ink pen. The vinegar inhibits mold growth without affecting flavor.  Dan

CharlieJ

;D

Now we know how to keep it, if only we could FIND some of those cheeses in our little backwater corner of the world.

;D

Yeah, I know, we COULD order it online. But I'd really like to taste test a cheese before I bought a big chunk, know what I mean?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Manannan

hello, you all,  lost in the backwater corner of the world !!

I deeply sympathize with Charlie as I am enjoying my creamy Brie with a glass of red wine !!  ;D Believe me, in my corner of the world, we do not worry about keeping it, it does not have time to get bad....
But the vinegar thing works, at least for hard cheese, Brie and Camembert, you just have to sacrifice yourself, and eat it when it is at its best, creamy, soft, almost running and .... as smelly as an old sock !! Bon apétit !
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

Oldrig

Ah mon ami,

You're making my mouth water.

Nowadays I can hardly afford to enjoy good French wine or cheese, never mind visiting Europe!

Why didn't I invest in that euro-denominated fund?
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

s/v Faith

I am an absolute fiend for that cheap cheddar that you find everywhere in the Bahamas.

I have about 5# of it aboard right now, anyone have any ideas on keeping it healthy?

I thought about mason jars with olive oil... Any ideas?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Nix the jars. how about a cloth soaked in Vinegar? The acetic acid would be hostile to bacteria
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera