Coffee: How old is too old? Coffie pot & maker review

Started by s/v Faith, February 06, 2007, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Quote from: s/v Emerald Tide on April 09, 2012, 01:03:55 PM
Quote from: s/v Faith on April 07, 2012, 11:00:14 PM
I just spent 2 weeks drinking instant coffee poured into water from the tanks... not even heated.  The boat I was on had a gimbaled stove but no handholds in the galley...  :o

A little mold would have been ok... instant coffee in oily water that was not even warm was a new low even for me.

Instant coffee in cold oily water has set the bar "so low you can't get under it."  Congratulations, you have won the "Dedicated to coffee drinking, no matter what" prize!   This highly valued honor comes with a $3 coupon to Starbucks....

ROFL- Too bad Starbucks doesn't sell coffee. Only doctored up "stuff". The just plain coffee SUCKS!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

oded kishony

You might want to consider making a cold brewed coffee concentrate.

This method of brewing coffee in cold water for 24 hours makes a concentrate that you can dilute with hot water, cold water & ice for ice coffee, or milk for a cheap latte.

An added benefit is that this coffee is naturally low in acid and therefore easy on the stomach.

instruction here:

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

Oded

jpfx

Chattcatdaddy

Quote from: s/v Faith on April 07, 2012, 11:00:14 PM
I just spent 2 weeks drinking instant coffee poured into water from the tanks... not even heated.  The boat I was on had a gimbaled stove but no handholds in the galley...  :o

A little mold would have been ok... instant coffee in oily water that was not even warm was a new low even for me.

I think i would pop a 5 hour energy and be done with it. You are one dedicated coffee drinker. ???
Keith
International Man of Leisure

JWalker

Quote from: oded kishony on April 10, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
You might want to consider making a cold brewed coffee concentrate.

This method of brewing coffee in cold water for 24 hours makes a concentrate that you can dilute with hot wate

This I have done, and with a little foresite, it does work well. Take some practice to get it right.

But I still prefer brewing mine just before I drink it.

s/v Faith

Anybody using a Kureg aboard?  I know, resistive load is tough...  Sure would be nice though!

Actual power use?

Humm.....  :P
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Wade

s/v Faith

Amazon comes through again.

I really like the good old percolator too.  Makes a good strong cup 'o Joe.

I have had the aluminum ones for years, but always lusted over the stainless ones I saw on other boats.  I priced them, and they were over $100 not too long ago.  Last year I priced them again and found this on amazon.

Touch the image to zoom in

Farberware Classic Stainless Steel Yosemite 8-Cup Coffee Percolator

Well, I have tested it for over a year now and it is great. It was $39 when I bought it and I thought that was an amazing deal....
Now it lists for $22!  Wow.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.