Coffee: How old is too old? Coffie pot & maker review

Started by s/v Faith, February 06, 2007, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Ok, I know this sounds like a frivolous question... (maybe).

I just had someone come into the office and ask for a cup of coffee.  I told them 'sure, but you might want to warm it up'.  I told them it was yesterdays pot.  They acted like I was eating human flesh.   :P 

Since, this person has informed at least 3 others of my 'disgusting' habit, and I have heard opinions that range from 'thats gross' to 'that could kill you!'    ::)

Now, I am the sole coffee drinker aboard Faith.  Rose does not drink it, and Peter only drinks it by mistake.  I normally brew a pot (actually French press) and put it in the thermos.  It works well, and actually keeps coffee warm for 24 hours.  If by some fluke I don't drink it soon enough I just put my cup on the stove for a minute and heat it back up.

I don't like burnt coffee (like you get at 7/11 in the mid day) and generally prefer to re-warm coffee over letting it cook for long periods of time.

What about you?

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Well, it depends... it if was in a thermos, that is one thing, if it was sitting out in a coffee cup or a open coffee pot, that is another.  I don't mind day old coffee that has been nice and warm in a good thermos, and might just need a bit of re-heating.  The flavor of the coffee isn't changed much since it wasn't heating the whole time... and the potential for stuff other than coffee to be in there is minimal.  Out in an open pot or mug...things are quite different...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

I agree with Adrift.  From a thermos, I've got no problem with day old coffee.  I do that all the time, if it lasts that long (I tend to have it in cup for sipping if it is made).  Been known to drink day-old from a Mr. Coffee, but it ain't the best in the world.

One thing I've noticed about coffee drinkers.  Some sure can be snobs.  It seems like you may have hit upon the perfect way to keep your co-workers from mooching off you - just tell 'em it's day-old!!   ;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 06, 2007, 12:27:10 PM....One thing I've noticed about coffee drinkers.  Some sure can be snobs.  It seems like you may have hit upon the perfect way to keep your co-workers from mooching off you - just tell 'em it's day-old!!   ;D ;D

;D

Good point!

I did notice a big decrease in the 'moochers' when I took the coffee grinder home and started drinking 'Folgers'.....

David_Old_Jersey

I drink only instant black coffee (Nescafé). (I am a coffee Heathan - I just want the Caffeine!).

I will drink a mug of coffee that is stone cold or luke warm that has not been finished up to the same day, although usually only up to a couple of hours old........I can have more than 1 mug on the go..........

Hasn't killed me yet.........

I wouldn't offer the mug to anyone else though!

Lynx

It takes less than 10 min's to make a cup of coffie. Myself, I am a little to hyper with to much coffie. I use this not to drink too much coffie and usuall only make 1 large cup at a time.

I also only drink coffie first thing in the morning or after a good meal.
MacGregor 26M

BobW

I enjoy good, strong, black coffee - no cream, no sugar.  I've had day old coffee, but around here it is a rarity as I'll drink a pot before the Mr. Coffee shuts off automatically in two hours.  I agree it is easy enough to make another pot.  On weekends I'll use the French press, and drink it before it cools down too much.

On the boat I use a percolator, and I'm still fine tuning my brewing techniques (how much coffee, how long to let it perc, etc.)  I'd use a French press but haven't picked up a stainless steel one yet, and don't trust myself with the glass one on board.

On our recent SF Bay trip we brewed a pot of coffee before turning in the night before our 0300 departure from the Bay.  We put the coffee in a thermos and enjoyed a couple of cups as we motored through 0400 in San Pablo Bay.

Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

AdriftAtSea

The warning about glass French Presses is a valid one.  I had one break on me last spring.  Not good. 

I prefer the big thermos approach to coffee.  I think it makes more sense to make a fair bit of coffee and then keep it in a big thermos, and relatively warm for a good long while, rather than having to make a cup at a time.  This way, you don't have to fire up the stove if you want more, at least until the thermos is empty, and you can clean up the galley once... instead of over and over again.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

s/v Faith

Quote from: BobW on February 07, 2007, 01:01:53 AM......I'd use a French press but haven't picked up a stainless steel one yet, and don't trust myself with the glass one on board.

I had the same concern... I bought this one (Lexan) from REI.

I have been happy with it.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: BobW on February 07, 2007, 01:01:53 AM

On the boat I use a percolator, and I'm still fine tuning my brewing techniques (how much coffee, how long to let it perc, etc.)  I'd use a French press but haven't picked up a stainless steel one yet, and don't trust myself with the glass one on board.

Campmor sells several non-glass presses.  We bought one of the plastic ones.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

Has anybody tried one of these -

REI item
Big Sky Bistro French Press/Travel Mug
$16.95 Item 664265
MacGregor 26M

Captain Smollett

Wow, that's about the same price as the Campmor one we bought that makes about 3-4 (though small) cups of coffee.

Interesting idea....press it right your cup.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

The only problem I see with that is that the coffee grounds sit in your cup for the whole time it takes you to drink it... I think it'd get awfully strong and bitter doing that.  Other than that, it seems like a good idea.  I think I'll just get one of the ones from Campmor or REI.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 08, 2007, 08:57:56 AM
The only problem I see with that is that the coffee grounds sit in your cup for the whole time it takes you to drink it...

Which often isn't a problem.   ;D  Sometimes the time to drink it is not much longer than time it takes to pour it.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CapnK

I've a French Press (~4 cup) that I have used for years when away from shore; when at the dock with shorepower I use a small 4-cup Mr. Coffee electric maker.

I'll drink it several hours old, but usually wind up drinking it all when I make it, so there is rarely any "old" around. :) It's easy to make a new pot, and if I anticipate needing it much later and don't want to have to make fresh, I'll put it in the thermos.

On occasion I may need to make coffee and not have the press or other means (like when backpacking/kayaking), so I have a simpler solution than 'cowboy coffee', where you drink/pour slow from the pot you make it in so as to avoid stirring up the grounds. I made a small, mug-sized bag out of no-see-um mesh netting. Stick that into the coffee mug, add coffee, pour water over it and let steep. After a couple minutes steeping, pull the bag out and all the grounds come with it. It's basically a tough, reusable filter. It's easy to clean by dunking, even easier if you let it dry out - just flip it inside out and shake a little.

I like the "it's a day-old" trick to keep the moochers away. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

We use a French press for ALL our coffee. When Laura first tried one it was a lexan model from WEST Marine. Makes about 4 small cups and it lives on the boat. Once we got used to it, we bought a stainless steel 8 cup insulated model ( from Amazon!!) and she immediately unplugged the Mr Coffee machine and tossed it into the trash. She swears ( and I concur) that there will NEVER be another kind of coffee made here.

One nice thing about coffee in a press- it doesn't continously get heat, so it doesn't burn. True it cools, but then you can pour a cup and stick it inthe micro wave to reheat. About as good as fresh made.

We also use a Melitta single cup coffee maker- put in a filter ( or a paper towel), a spoon of coffee and pour hot water through. Instant drip coffee. I can tell you for absolute sure- there is NEVER any instant coffee in our house ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

boblamb

I like it young, old, cold, hot...but especially do espresso.  Does anyone have a line on some sort of 12 volt espresso maker for on board????

Bob
CP23d
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

AdriftAtSea

I carry one of the little stainless steel espresso pots... I don't know where you can get them, since mine was Christmas gift about 10 years ago.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

macdiver

The stove top espresso makers are called mocha pots  Bialati is considered one of the better brands.  Bialiti also makes a stove top cappaciano (spelled wrong I know) maker called the Mukka express.  It comes in a cow print paint or polished steel.  You can find these online or at whole foods, trader joes and other specialty type grocers.  Williams and sonoma probably carries them as well.

Now as to the day old coffee debate.  In the army, I was stationed at a remote out post in Korea.  We had 5 people there.  We would make coffee in one of those huge percolators that made coffee for 50 people or so.  We would make a pot about once a week and drink it the whole week.  Pretty disgusting actually.  I'm surprised I still like coffee after drinking 5 day old mud. 

Frank

Surprised at the 'coffee' responces. BIG topic!!! When Judy is on...she used a press (they call them a 'french press' at home)...alone and not fussy..I use those coffee 'teabags'...mainly cause I'm lazy 1st thing in the morning. Turn on water,put bag in cup,pour water, add Bailey's (my version of cream/sugar)....done!  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men