Coffee: How old is too old? Coffie pot & maker review

Started by s/v Faith, February 06, 2007, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Ongoing research  has proven that it IS possible to get chunks of mold in your coffee after as few as 4 days......
  :P

On edit:  Oh, and before anyone can ask.  They taste a bit like dirt... very earthy. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

That is just too much information...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Anton

I just need to find a decent coffeemaker, PERIOD.  I had one cheap coffeemaker that lasted two weeks, and quit.  Next coffeemaker, lasted three days!  Then I bought a Black and Decker coffeemaker with a stainless steel pot, thinking surely I'd finally bought a better made product.  Two weeks, and it's died!  I'm so T'd off!!!

CharlieJ

Get a french press, learn to use it and throw those silly electrics away!!!

end of problem ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Anton

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 09, 2007, 07:32:19 PM
I carry one of the little stainless steel espresso pots... I don't know where you can get them, since mine was Christmas gift about 10 years ago.

CampMor catalog has them.

CharlieJ

Amazon.com believe it or not.

Here's a link directly to the french presses and espresso makers.

We have the Bodum Columbia 8 cup one at the house.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/289749?tag2=themusicsource802-20i
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

We used to make expresso out of those small Italian aluminum pots that you put on the stovetop, but it is just too much caffeine for me now.  I had appendicitis after drinking Turkish coffee in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia once.  The scar looks like a hammer and sickle.

We like Folgers Columbian from a drip filter. I like it because it is cheap and my wife likes it because it tastes good.  We have one of those plastic funnel type things that holds the filter paper, sits on top of the thermos and you pour hot water into it.  I never liked french press coffee, maybe I wasn't doing it right.

We only make enough for breakfast, I can't drink coffee after about 10:00am or I get a tummy ache and get jittery.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

Skylark-

You make it sound like the Turkish coffee caused your appendicitis... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

maxiSwede

Quote from: CharlieJ on February 25, 2007, 05:49:20 PM
Get a french press, learn to use it and throw those silly electrics away!!!

end of problem ;)

Couldn´t agree more.

I am sorry folks, but after working in the coffee business for 15 years, I must confess that this thread makes me seriously considering a silent withdrawal... 

coffee is too old after 15 minutes. Period. Unless in a thermos.

Hey, why not drink tea?? Much less effort involved on preparing   ::) ;D ::) ;D ???
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

s/v Faith

Quote from: maxiSwede on March 01, 2007, 05:28:25 AM
QuoteI am sorry folks, but after working in the coffee business for 15 years, I must confess that this thread makes me seriously considering a silent withdrawal... 

coffee is too old after 15 minutes. Period.....

Please don't go.  I would appreciate your professional opinion on something.....

Now, keep in mind this is just a shore thing, as I don't have a coffee maker onboard (I use the french press).  But for the office, what if I used one of the pour through filters to strain out the mold chunks?  Do you think I could get past the 4 day thing????  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

maxiSwede

OOoooh, definetely. Keep Faith in the project. And remember, someoneshas to sacrifice their lives in the interest of empirical science.

;D ;D ;D
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Bubba the Pirate

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 01, 2007, 10:23:31 AM
But for the office, what if I used one of the pour through filters to strain out the mold chunks?  Do you think I could get past the 4 day thing????  ;D

Faith - you may be brewing in some Penicillin even after the filter.   This could be good in malarial cruising grounds!    :)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: sailorbum on March 01, 2007, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: s/v Faith on March 01, 2007, 10:23:31 AM
But for the office, what if I used one of the pour through filters to strain out the mold chunks?  Do you think I could get past the 4 day thing????  ;D

Faith - you may be brewing in some Penicillin even after the filter.   This could be good in malarial cruising grounds!    :)

I doubt it...penicillin is derived from a mold that grows on citrus fruits IIRC, and it isn't all that effective on Malaria.   ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

macdiver

QuoteI am sorry folks, but after working in the coffee business for 15 years, I must confess that this thread makes me seriously considering a silent withdrawal.

I am expecting cofeebean to run away screaming if he discovers this thread. LOL.

So do you Swedes take your coffee as serious as the Italians do?

oded kishony

Have you never tasted Swedish coffee? It is the best! But so is Italian :D
They're both the best  ;D  Just different.

~OK

maxiSwede

Oh, Thank you guys - blushing -   ::)

and, as I believe it goes around here;  Grog to ya all!

BTW , sailing 59 degrees north, we better have some decent coffee to survive.  ;)

Or if I am to put it another way, I am not going to make a pareo for my better half, it won´t be used much...   8)
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Lynx

My last cruse I tried MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter

I had a hot cup of coffie. It did leave a little gounds in the bottom of the cup. You just pour hot water through the filter with grounds in it and let it steep. A real nice hot cup of coffie.
MacGregor 26M

skylark

I am thinking about using one of these things, a tea infusion spoon, for brewing coffee in a cup.  I have not tried it yet with coffee, only with tea.  It works great with tea.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

Skylark-

If you're going to use that, get the coffee ground fairly coarse, or you'll have lots of it filtering through and making the bottom of your cup of coffee more like mud.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran