News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

People ya meet along the way

Started by Frank, February 10, 2007, 10:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

While out, I always find it is the other cruisers that 'make' the trip. All neat people..all sharing stories and experiences.Great to see 60+ yr olds 'faces lighting up' and acting like kids!!  gotta share this story.  I fellow pulls in...an obviuos stroke victom. He is 67yrs old,thin with a long white beard. Funkie looking guy.Had his stroke 25yrs ago @ 42 !! His right side was gone,walked with a mini walker. He and his buddy cruise ALL over...thats all he does. They were in Belize for Xmas 05. Told me they took tons of chocolate and cheap tools over. On Xmas day...they rented a gulfcart and he dressed as Santa with his beard....toured the island giving chocolate to kids and women and tools to the men.Said it was thee best Xmas they ever had. I love those stories.   Share your 'character' story

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

I mentioned before that a big part of the 'fun' in cruising is the people ya meet.Here's a few...Val and Graham on 'Bonny Lass'..Been out for a full year now, their wide eyes and big grins show they are loving the adventure. Jack and Judy on ' TEN X'..experienced cruisers who have done most of the Carribean. Jack is in early stages of alziemers (sp?) and they are getting in as much as possible. A.O. and Lindy on 'Polaris Jack'. A.O. was my welcoming commity in Marsh Harbour as he climbed aboard. Jubilee. A.O. has a physical problem,is not that mobile,has shorter legs and is easily winded...yet he and Lindy have sailed Polaris Jack all over the Carribean. All these people are on the high or higher side of late 50's..all have big grins and are enjoying life like a child. Thats the fun...being older and grey out here with all these 'big kids'

AdriftAtSea

Frank-

Look forward to hearing more about these people and seeing their photos...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

More...Peter and Claudia on a PRESTINE mariner 28ft that they bought new and have owned,upgraded and loved for 28 yrs..not to mention cruise steady with it. THEE best cruise equiped boat I've seen. Mike and Margaret on 'destination' who are exploring the Abacos this year after 2 previous cruises in the Exumas. Dan..a single hander an an ole nordica 30 dble ender.Out running from a mid life crisis, he quit his job and hopped on the boat..'how long ya going?' I ask...'till the money runs out' he reply's. 'How far ya going ' I ask..'where ever I get to' he replies. I was glad Judy flew in and Dan and I finally parted company as both our 'cruising budjets' were taking a beating in the bars. I should note that A.O. on 'Polaris Jack' has a physical handycap,he gets winded easily,has very short legs with limited flexibilty yet he and Lindy have sailed their boat ALL over the Carribean...and it is a 26ft Lyle Hess designed channel cutter (yes-26ft)...so not the simplest boat to sail. Everitt single handing on 'capricious'..a fellow Canadian and after 28 winters here..an 'Abaco' regular.He is around 80 yrs old and is so well known that a recent model boat that was put on display in the Hope Town museum was named in honour of his late wife. All these people are super friendly,wide eyed,enjoying life and not caught up in BS of routine. Dan at 53 is the youngest..on up to Everrit who's wife died at 80, 2 yrs ago.What truly stands out to me is the 'child like' look of them all.Playing in their dingy's...eager to snorkel a new 'find'...exited to help fix a problem.Gone are all the stress's of life ashore and whats left is the "kid " that we all still have inside.

Cmdr Pete

Hey Frank!

Those are all small boat people you're hanging out with. Are they the fun bunch?

I was going to give you some grog, but the grog dispenser seems to be broken lately. My computer says "parse error" Maybe I got cut off.

Looking forward to some pictures. It's snowing here.
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Cmdr Pete

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

Very true... unless you have torpedos or a good deck gun... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more