Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Some very interesting numbers

Started by CapnK, February 20, 2007, 08:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Saw this link posted at the TSBB.

US sailboat industry down 7 per cent in 2006 (IBI Magazine)

According to this, there were 2,071 sailboats in the 20-35' range built in the US last year. That doesn't seem like very many at all! That total is down 9% from 2005.

Production of boats larger than 35' increased by 14% over 2005. Looks like the magazine ads and articles are working...  ::) Bigger is better and safer, eh? (Meh... Not!)

These numbers are part of a total production of 14,945 boats, of which the 0-19' boat share is the vast majority (over 11.5K).
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on February 20, 2007, 08:58:14 AM

These numbers are part of a total production of 14,945 boats, of which the 0-19' boat share is the vast majority (over 11.5K).

I know we all like small boats, but I'm not sure I want a 0 footer.
;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 20, 2007, 09:15:48 AM
Quote from: CapnK on February 20, 2007, 08:58:14 AM

;D ;D

At least maintenance and dock fees would be really cheap..... and it'd be easy to move.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Anton

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 20, 2007, 09:15:48 AM
;D ;D

A new meaning to the term "pocket cruiser"?  ::)

I think I'll interpret those results as a groundswell of public interest in the classic lines of small sailboats built decades ago...and as far as the increase in large boat production, well, every rich person that has to keep up with the Jones' needs a new car when Cadillacs come out with fins...  ;)