How Much is Enough - A Different Take

Started by Captain Smollett, February 06, 2007, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I came across an interesting teaching job opening in Honduras.  This would involve getting TO Honduras and living there for one year, and it is in a coastal town (or near enough - 60 km from the coast).  To my way of thinking, the availability of this job presents a number of exciting possibilities.

I cannot take this particular job this year, but thought it would make interesting fodder for discussion.

Pros:

• Live with the people, become part of the community, for a year
  • Earn a little cruising money (maybe)
  • Children get some longer-term exposure to the Honduran culture
  • Since the destruction cause by hurricane Mitch, I have a soft spot for Honduras
  • Teaching tends to have a lot of holidays, and with the boat down there, Roatan and environs would be do-able cruising ground.

Cons:

• Have to be there in August, which probably means sailing down during cyclone season; also it finishes the following year just at the start of cyclone season, so a departure would also have that risk.
  • It only pays $3,600 for THE YEAR (or $400 per month).  I'm not sure how many hours per week this involves, so maybe it leaves time to earn in other ways.  But, figuring a very conservative $1000 per month cruising budget (family of four), this basically means working 9 months to cruise at most 3.5 months (assuming no living expenses are coming out of that salary, too).  Of course, Becky could also be working (and probably making A LOT more money) during that time.

That's a tough scale to balance.  Would I do this for the experience of it?  In a heartbeat.  Money is not everything.

Just curious what the SailFar crew would think about such an opportunity.  Would you work for less per month than you really need for cruising?

FWIW, I'm looking at other, similar jobs, that may pay more.  I just thought this might be an interesting discussion to have.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

I would not do it.
More con's -
Conditions
Weather
Bugs
Medical or lack or bad
Bad guy's
     want more??

Money is not everything is right but can you get the same in the USA?

If you want to make some money and to have something to talk about when your are done with your year, PM me with a  short resume.
MacGregor 26M

Frank

Generally most of us work for 2 reasons    1- to provide food and shelter    2- to provide entertainment or 'experiences'        While the $$ are not there, you would come away with priceless life experiences. To truely integrate with the people for that long would provide you with an insight to their culture that would simply not be attainable in a 2 or 3 week 'holiday'....how do you put a value on that??
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

I think Frank has a valid point.  What would your primary motivation for taking the job be.  If it is money....then no, the job really doesn't make much sense.  If it is for the life experience, and the chance to live among the people in a small village in Honduras, then it might make a lot of sense to do so.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Lynx on February 06, 2007, 10:29:41 AM

More con's -
Conditions
Weather
Bugs
Medical or lack or bad
Bad guy's
     want more??

In the spirit of discussion:

For the most part, I don't consider those cons.  The future that I see for myself and my family does involve extended stays in "third world" countries.  The only one on that list that does give me some pause is "bad guys."

Honduras DOES have high per capita violent crime rates.  BUT...if you dig a little deeper, you find that much of that crime is what we here might call gang-related.  It is not necessarily crime-against-random-victim crime.  Still, it IS something to consider.

FWIW, a friend of mine spent some time in Honduras (in the mountains) a few years ago.  He said it was the most rewarding time of his life.  This is the similar response that I've gotten from other friends and acqaintances that have spent time in un-developed locales - Ecuador, Tanzania, Zambia, etc.

I'm not looking for "little America" or places where I can be catered to as a tourist.  I am looking for places that I/we can serve the community (in SOME way) and enrich our lives by connecting with people from other cultures - and an education for my children experienced, not read in books.

We all have our own reasons for "cruising" and that, in a nutshell, is mine.  So, I see a job like this one as an opportunity to meet my goals.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 06, 2007, 12:13:34 PM
I think Frank has a valid point.  What would your primary motivation for taking the job be.  If it is money....then no, the job really doesn't make much sense.  If it is for the life experience, and the chance to live among the people in a small village in Honduras, then it might make a lot of sense to do so.

I have no idea about Honduras, but having spent large chunks of time abroad with lots of spare time on my hands I would say that the only way to get to know people in a place is to live their..........and not be a visitor for no matter how long you stay, where you can end up with most interactions with locals consist of paying money for their time / services.............or far worse (IMO!) spending nigh on 24/7 with yer fellow visitors / travellers / tourists..............quite often moaning about the locals and how much better it is "back home" (conveniantely forgetting why yer left "home" in the first place  ::))

Lynx

QuoteSo, I see a job like this one as an opportunity to meet my goals.

Then go for it!!!

As a note: I have already done something similar and it was worth it.
MacGregor 26M

maxingout

I have lived outside the USA for twenty-eight years and have worked in Panama, Kenya, Liberia, Puerto Rico, and Saudi Arabia.  Some positions paid nothing, and some had good compensation, but all of them were personally rewarding.  If you are not in a financial crunch, the amount of financial compensation isn't so much of an issue.  It's sort of the difference between making a living and making a life. 

Working in developing countries may not top up your cruising kitty with a large bag of freedom chips, but looking at the world through dollar sign eyes won't make your life better, and it will prevent you from having many excellent adventures.  If you can afford it, go for it.

Life is short and death is long, and you should be doing what you want to do with your life.

Cheers

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

maxiSwede

Quote from: maxingout on April 30, 2007, 11:22:56 PM
I have lived outside the USA for twenty-eight years and have worked in Panama, Kenya, Liberia, Puerto Rico, and Saudi Arabia.  Some positions paid nothing, and some had good compensation, but all of them were personally rewarding.  If you are not in a financial crunch, the amount of financial compensation isn't so much of an issue.  It's sort of the difference between making a living and making a life. 

Working in developing countries may not top up your cruising kitty with a large bag of freedom chips, but looking at the world through dollar sign eyes won't make your life better, and it will prevent you from having many excellent adventures.  If you can afford it, go for it.

Life is short and death is long, and you should be doing what you want to do with your life.

Cheers

That´s just Beatiful!  And sooooo true.

Cheers ;D

P.S: Captain Smollett - out of curiosity; what´s your profession? I mean what kind of competence are sought after in Hinduras for example? D.S.
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Captain Smollett

Quote from: maxiSwede on May 01, 2007, 03:05:18 AM

P.S: Captain Smollett - out of curiosity; what´s your profession? I mean what kind of competence are sought after in Hinduras for example? D.S.

My profession is chemistry, but the area of chemistry in which I've specialized has involved a lot of computer programming and network engineering.  Currently, I own a consulting business, and I probably do more IT related consulting than chemistry.

I was exploring teaching science in Honduras. Now, I've found a volunteer position that looks VERY interesting, that would actually involve both of my "areas."  It would involve helping to make improvements to a very small clinic on one of the Bay Islands.

Quote from: maxingout

Great!!  I want to make that my new sig line.   :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina