News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Paint it white

Started by skylark, February 28, 2007, 02:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

I have a teak bulkhead in the cabin and head.  Its pretty dark.  I am thinking that white would be nicer but I can't bring myself to paint over the teak plywood.

What say ye?

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

oded kishony

I wouldn't have the heart to do it either  :-[

~OK

AdriftAtSea

It would be a shame to paint over the teak...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Godot

Painting teak is easy.  Unpainting teak if you don't like the results is hard.  But I like a bright interior myself (with wood trim).

Have you considered running down to home depot and picking up a sheet of formica laminate?  I don't believe it is that expensive.  Cut out a sheet to size, and tack it temporarily against your teak plywood.  If you like it you have a durable, easy to clean surface.  If you don't like it pull it off and throw it in the dumpster.  Just a thought.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

maxiSwede

Such a brilliant idea, Adam. I, too, definetely shrivers on the thought of permanently painting a beatiful teak interior. On the other hand, If I were to build a boat - or a new interior-  from scratch, I would definetely go for white or at least light colors with some trim in teak or mahogany or some substitute of it.

Especially if one is going to use the boat all year round, and in higher lat´s during the darker months of the year, the light interior would make more sense.
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

I like the idea of putting laminate over it...but wouldn't use contact cement...probably screw the laminate down after attaching it to very thin plywood backing... then if you want to go back to the teak, all you have to do is patch a few screw holes...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 28, 2007, 05:52:20 PM
I like the idea of putting laminate over it...but wouldn't use contact cement...probably screw the laminate down after attaching it to very thin plywood backing... then if you want to go back to the teak, all you have to do is patch a few screw holes...

Who said anything about contact cement?  ::)

Quote from: s/v Godot/url]
Cut out a sheet to size, and tack it temporarily against your teak plywood.

Sounds pretty much like what you described, but perhaps with tacks rather than screws.   ???
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 28, 2007, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 28, 2007, 05:52:20 PM

Who said anything about contact cement?  ::)

Quote from: s/v Godot/url]
Cut out a sheet to size, and tack it temporarily against your teak plywood.

I was just clarifying that the attachment method, if they choose to go with the laminate overlay, should be screws, and not the traditional contact cement... which would be a nightmare to remove. 
Sounds pretty much like what you described, but perhaps with tacks rather than screws.   ???
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Godot

When I said "tack" I was referring to a non permanent mechanical fastening.  Nails, staples, screws, or maybe even tacks (if you can get some that have a strong enough and long enough pointy part).  It's a term I picked up somewhere in my distant past.  I thought it was commonly understood; but maybe my english is some weird variant.  You know, kinda like the brits use (where did they learn their english???   ???:) ;D)

In any case, I don't think you need to add plywood to the back of the laminate as you already have the teak ply which I would think would be enough so long as you attached the laminate with enough fasteners.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

David_Old_Jersey

Why not paint or laminate the Table, so it breaks up the dark brown. and also maybe a new picture (and frame!).

s/v Faith

QuoteWhat say ye?

FWIW,

I think the teak looks beautiful.  :)

But that is not what you asked.  ;D

I am glad I have white laminate on my interior.  Despite the fact they they could be ordered with different patterns, many Ariels came from the factory with a woodgrain laminate that is not as favored today as it apparently was then.

I wonder if you might be able to find a middle ground?  For instance cutting some white laminate to fit over the edge of the sink basin, and the top of the 'shelf' next to it?  Maybe hanging something on the bulkhead in the saloon?

Go to the gallery and take a look at Zen's boat.  He and lady Zen have really done some creative things that you might be able to 'borrow' to get some more light colors into the mix.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: s/v godot on March 01, 2007, 08:39:25 AM
When I said "tack" I was referring to a non permanent mechanical fastening.  Nails, staples, screws, or maybe even tacks (if you can get some that have a strong enough and long enough pointy part).  It's a term I picked up somewhere in my distant past.  I thought it was commonly understood; but maybe my english is some weird variant.  You know, kinda like the brits use (where did they learn their english???   ???:) ;D)

In any case, I don't think you need to add plywood to the back of the laminate as you already have the teak ply which I would think would be enough so long as you attached the laminate with enough fasteners.

I would use a thin backing of plywood, as that will allow you to minimize the number of screws you need to use, and the number of holes you have to patch—should you decide to remove it....
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Oyster

The first step is to pickle it with a fairly beige or white color enamel paint on a sheet of facimile is at all possible. The gauge your look accordingly. You can actually do it on woodgrain formica. You can also tone the pickle down with a coat of varnish, usually satin over the top of it making it a rich look, IMHO. You can also clean up the trim with the satin varnish leaving the constrast in the beginning. Take baby steps in this case. Maybe if you have a locker, do a test area too.