Getting high... Mast steps, and other methods of going aloft.

Started by Zen, December 25, 2005, 02:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

So how do you guys ( non-gender ) handle hauling yourself or another person up the mast?

What about under way? ever had to deal with that?

Steps, ladders, hooks, chairs, redbull?
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Dougcan

Amorous

I use a climbing harness and ascenders, cleat off the halyards and go.
I used to just shimmy up using the halyards but now I'm old and fat.

Zen

I have these shoes, like pole climpers. They have a u-shape sole which goes around the mast. Ones weight and the non-slip covering keeping it in place.
Scary to use the first few times until I figured how to use them and tie them right. I had one come loose while I was halfway up in the begining. I also later picked up a chair, which I will use together with the climping shoes, and someone holding the halyard as a backup.
Still not the most pleasant task...

I saw someone at a sailboat expo, had a chair with which you could host yourself up. Looked cool, $imple, $afe,  and $ecure...
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Skipper Dave

Lucky I guess...
Always hired someone for that task...I am getting to old for that kind of effort.  One time sailed over to Catalina had a problem with the jib so we just used the main and the iron genoa to get us back.  Then...you guessed it...hired someone to climb up there.  Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27 (Featured Boat Lats & Atts Oct. 05)

captedteach

I ve got a buddy that I'm always doing stuff on his boat - SOooooo if I need someone to go up a mast I snag him and send him up - he only weighs 110lbs at the most vs my 230.  Most boats here we can have the mast down in a minute or two except for my Cal - which needs a pick crane or a bucket truck.
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Jack Tar

No dropping the mast on Triska. She is keel steped. My best shot would be to get someone lighter than myself to go up. Im getting to old for that stuff. I was thinking of building an electric winch type of system with remote control . I dont have that much need to visit the wind vane or lights up there. I have a redundant (extra) mast head light so if one burns out I switch on the other.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Solace

I purchased an ATN top climber a year ago and hope I never have to use it while under way.
Truth is I've yet to use it.

John

starcrest

I have been up and out of airplanes from 18000 feet and there aint no way no how I m going up to the mast head.up to the spreaders I can handle thats it.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

AllAboutMe

Zen,
Do you remember where you found those shoes? Sounds like the real deal for me, combined with a bosun's chair.
Larry Wilson
{with two masts that need climbing}

CharlieJ

So far I've just hauled my wife up there :) She doesn't much like it, but she's much smaller than I am so it's a matter of physics.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

oded kishony

We were going out with some friends on a perfect sailing day on our O'day 23, when we discovered that  the jib halyard was at the top of the mast. We were already under way so we decided to tie up to a mooring and I would climb the mast and retrieve the halyard.
I tied the main halyard to my thick belt at the back of my pants. The child and wife went below to spare having the child witness her father splatter on the deck. Then, with the halyard wrapped on the mast winch, shimmied, pulled up the mast. This sight seemed to be a magnet for all the passing boaters who then had to investigate this strange sight. Every time they came close their wake caused the boat to rock and I felt as though I was hanging on to a catapult. In the end I was able to retrieve the halyard, we enjoyed our perfect sailing day. But I will long remember the experience as the "perfect wedgie" :D

Oded Kishony ~~ __/) ~~

Pixie Dust

When I bought PD, I received a Bosuns chair for a boat warming gift.  I have a couple of friends that we help each other out as needed.  When I need to go up, they hoist me since I am the smallest.   Not crazy about the going up part, but once up there and you get focused on what you are doing, kind of cool.  I have always been at dock though.   I load up the pockets with Blaster, screw drivers, extra bulbs, pocket knife, etc.  You can bet that if you only have 1 of what you need, you will drop it..... we ran a bucket up and down to send me up things as needed that I forgot the first time up.
I need to figure out a way though to hoist myself, esp when I am on my trip.  Not always going to be willing people to haul you up.  Rock climbing equip may be the way to go.   Zen, I am afraid my legs would be shaking in those shoes.  :)
Looking forward to seeing ideas from others on hauling themselves up.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

starcrest

actually I have mast steps that go up to the spreaders.If indeed I need to get to the top I use a full body skydivers harness.and I am very sure not to hook the halyard up to the jetison handle.that same harness is used as a life line harness.its got all sorts of neat cumfy padding ----leg straps---chest straps---and all stainless hardware.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

krissteyn

had to replace a halyard in mid-Atlantic on a 50' cat.  Very scary - had bigger fella down below controlling the winch. Got to be black&blue all down the contact areas...
Taught me 2 things - If it can wait - good : never trust an in-experienced person on the winch - weight doesnt count - idiot on the winch could kill you.
Now I have a special harness I clip round the mast and ease over the spreaders.
Went up a tri mast once - much worse than a cat.

Now I sail cats but my boat is a mono - much more gentle to climb - at any height...

s/v Faith

John,

You might wanna take that ATN Topclimber out of the package and rig it up. 

I fell prey to the marketing, and bought one last month.  I really like the idea of being able to go aloft unassisted at will.

I watched the video's, and read the reviews on ATN's website.  Well, I am very disappointed.

I messed with the blasted thing for about 2 hours the other day, and succeeded in getting about 3 feet off the deck.  Much more effort then simply winching a person aloft.

The issue (at least to me) was the angle of the dangle.  The climbing line tension is absolutely critical, you have to have it TIGHT or else you can not slide the releases up the line.  Then you have to have a slight angle to be able to climb, but you need it almost vertical to use the leg straps effectively.

I used my 7/16"s main halyard, I have some 1/2" line on the way for a second attempt.  So far, I am not too pleased, or impressed with the ATN Topclimber.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Amorous mentioned ascenders (aka jumars), and there is a lower tech solution that is similar: prusik knots.

A prusik knot is functionally similar to a rolling hitch, but the fall forms a loop.  You use two (one for each foot) or three (one for each foot and a third 'safety' one tied to your harness).  I've never used one to climb my mast, but I HAVE used them for rock climbing and crevass work on glaciers.

I've been thinking about adapting another technique from rock climbing: the use of etriers.  One way you could use these is to tie a long one, clip it to a halyard, hoist and climb the ladder-like steps.  You could carry a few small bungees to tie to the mast as you go up to prevent it from swinging away from the mast as you climb I suppose.

Again, I've never used etriers to climb a mast, but I HAVE used them in rock/mountain climbing scenarios.  They are dirt easy to tie (webbing prefered, but regular line would work in a pinch).  In Aid rock climbing, we carried two - one for each leg and usually a four step and five step.  Sometimes, you would carry four (two short and two long).

As far as my current boat goes, it is WAY easier to drop the mast than climb it - even on the water (though perhaps not in a seaway - never tried that).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

I use a Brion Toss bosun's chair and a couple of good friends. I usually go up on the spinnaker halyard and use the topping lift as a safety line.

I don't like it up there, but I have to see what is going on.

I agree with comment about needing good people on the winch(es). There are only a few people I trust even with the safety line.

When I am at the top and will be there a while I use yet another line tied off to whatever sturdy thing I can find.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

s/v Faith

Had another session with the ATN Topclimber this evening.....

Used 1/2" double braid, worked a little bit better.  I made the spreaders, came back down and then went to the top.

I am still not too impressed, this was WORK to get up and as much work to get back down.  THe main issue seems to be with the releases which want to twist 90 degrees as they load and unload.  This makes the first foot or so of each climb wasted effort, as you are just releasing your weight to untwist the release, and then you can only slide it a few inches at a time.  It took much longer, and was a bunch of work.

My anchor light fitting is toast...  :(  I was hoping to wait to replace the fixture when I replaced the standing rigging, but now I will have to either struggle with the job aloft, or drop the mast to mount a new bracket and re-wire it...  ::)

Anyway, I am still not a great fan of the ATN Topclimber, but I was able to climb the mast with it today.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

psyche

I carry a maste mate. I am very pleased with it and feel much safer than swinging and dangling. I can also use it by myself. Dan