News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Small Handheld VHF

Started by Cmdr Pete, March 16, 2007, 12:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr Pete

I've been looking for a handheld VHF small enough to carry around in my jacket pocket.

Just want something small, light, submersible, with rechargeable battery + alkaline tray. And cheap.

Seems the smallest ones are all about 2.3" x 3.8" x 1.2" (not including antenna).

Looking at the following:

Standard Horizon 270
13.4 oz.
$83.15

Standard Horizon 500
12.3 oz.
$123.61

Uniden 450
slightly bigger
11.9 oz
$152.95

Uniden Voyager
8.8 0z.
$147.82

Some more expensive options are the Standard 471 (9.3 oz) and IcomM88 (9.9 oz.)

http://www.boatfix.com/cart2/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=81

Any thoughts?
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

maxiSwede

I am not familiar with all those berands and models.

I bought an Icom IC-M31 some time ago. FWIW I am pleased with it. It has a rechargeable bat-pack for 220 (would be 110 in the US) and 12 V. But also a cassette that makes it workable with AA batteries. Can handle water pressure down to a couple of meters iirc.

Those features makes sense IMHO
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Cmdr Pete

I would prefer to get an Icom.

The US model is the M32. Price is pretty good at around $150. The alkaline tray is optional at $15. You can also upgrade from the NiCad to the LiOn battery bringing the weight down from 12.7 oz. to 10.7 oz. The unit is a little taller than the others.

I'm a bit leery of the Uniden radios.

I have a Standard Horizon, which I like, but its just too big and bulky to carry around.
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

AdriftAtSea

I've used the Standard Horizon, and love the HX471s I have as my primary handheld, and I've used the Icom gear, mainly their ham stuff, not marine, but love the durability and quality of it. 

One thing to watch out for, some of them, like the Standard Horizon HX471s do not give the same power output if you are using the alkaline battery pack, when compared to the rechargeable battery pack.  The 471 will only do 1 Watt transmit with the alkalines, but will do 5 watts normally.

I'd suggest one you haven't listed.  The Icom M34.  Main reason is that this is probably the only one that floats.  A submersible is fine and dandy, but if you drop it and it sinks, chances are good that it is gone for good.  This one will float, and makes dropping it less expensive. :D

It is only 10.8 oz., so it is on the lighter side of the range you've got, and it is about the same price as the M32.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more