News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Broken Spreader

Started by Captain Smollett, March 27, 2007, 01:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I managed to break a spreader on Wave Function yesterday.  I use a 4:1 tackle to tension the rig while attaching the forestay, and while doing so, I heard a "pop."  Hmmm, I wondered, "what could that have been."

The only 'damage' I noticed was that the spreader was bent inboard of the hinge pin.  So, Hunter and I went sailing in some light air.  By the way, this was the first time out for just Hunter and myself; she did great, got to steer some "by herself" and had a ball.  She really liked the extra freedom of movement that being tied in with her harness gave her (rather than having to sit still or stay in the cabin for certain maneuvers).  She could move around at will and was actually learning the value of "one hand for you, one for the ship" first hand!!  :)

When I dropped the mast to tow back home, I noticed the spreader itself was broken.  As force came more forward, into 'towing' position, it detached from the mast completely.  Here's a shot:

What happened was the base of the spreader had bound up against the mast, not allowing it to swing all the way aft into "rigged" position.  That's why I could not get the forestay attached without a good hard tug on the tackle.  Of course, when the spreader let go is when I got enough slack to actually attach the forestay.  I'm extremely glad it did not let go while we were underway, but then the force was aft not forward so the tension was, in a way, holding it in place.

I guess I'll be brushing off my metal working skills....
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Ouch.  Good thing winds were light, or you could have lost more than just the spreader.   Have you inspected the other spreader to check it for the same problem? 

How old is Hunter?? 

Glad you and Hunter had a good sail though.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Hunter is four.  She's been sailing since 7 weeks, but this is the first time just her and me; all other times, there's been an adult along to 'help out.'
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

sailor

Captain Smollett

Wow, thanks.  I'll keep that in mind if my current idea does not work out.

What I ended up doing was buying a piece of 7/8" Al round tube and a piece of 1/2" 316 stainless square tube.  I'll fit the stainless inside the aluminum and through bolt or screw it into place.  The whole thing should be stronger than original, and I got parts to replace both spreaders for about what one of those actual repacements costs.

Upon further analysis of the failure, the hole (where the stainless pin fits though) was badly deformed.  Over the years, the movement of that Al tube on the stainless pin wallered it out - the net result was an overlarge whole with very little of the Al wall left.  My new design should help prevent that, since it will not have any moving parts that are aluminum on stainless.

Great to have a back-up, though.  I wonder why all my Google searching did not turn up that site?  Oh well.   ;)

Thanks again.  I'll have to remember to give you a grog when KR gets it back up an workin'.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Leroy - Gulf 29

On my boat, I used a dowel to fit inside the spreader rather than the box tubing, and just drilled the hole to fit the pin.  FWIW

AdriftAtSea

Leroy-

I hope you coated the dowel in epoxy, otherwise it might change size from the changes in humidity or if it gets wet. 

Capn Smollett-

Did you use anything as a galvanic isolator between the aluminum and the stainless square tubing? Also, you should probably use Lanocote or some other paste-type galvanic barrier on the bolts.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Leroy - Gulf 29 on April 12, 2007, 05:17:37 PM
On my boat, I used a dowel to fit inside the spreader rather than the box tubing, and just drilled the hole to fit the pin.  FWIW

Hi Leroy.  It's probably hard to tell in the picture, but the mast end of the spreader "has to be" (**) square to fit the bracket.  If you look at the link sailor posted, the model spreader I needed is DH 2520 and the brackets are DH 252. 

Using a dowel, I would have had to square it off; rather, I opted for the least labor intensive route.  ;)  But fundamentally, our designs are the same.  Thanks.

(**) Okay, it does not HAVE to be square, but the bracket is only 1/2".  A 1/2" round just does not 'feel' strong enough to me, especially with a 1/4" or so hole in it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina